Thread: Oppressed girl fights for the right to be sexy

Default Oppressed girl fights for the right to be sexy

DHS administrators say senior’s yearbook photo violates dress code

By Paige Blankenbuehler
    Herald Staff Writer
    Article Last Updated: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 9:05pm

Enlargephoto
    STEVE LEWIS/Durango Herald
    Durango High School senior Sydney Spies, center, and her mother, Miki Spies, protest the elimination of Sydney Spies senior portrait from the school’s yearbook. At left is 2011 DHS graduate Alayna Woomer.

A group of teens, joined by one mother, waved neon signs in front of Durango High School on Wednesday afternoon to protest the elimination of one of the girl’s senior photos from the yearbook.

Enlargephoto Courtesy of Miki Spies
    Miki Spies, mother of Durango High School senior Sydney Spies, provided this photo of Sydney taken by Thru the Lens Photography. DHS administrators rejected Sydney’s photo for publication in the school’s yearbook.

Sydney Spies organized the protest after administrators told her the senior portrait she submitted would not be printed in the yearbook because her attire in the photo violated dress code, Spies said.
    The high school requires that tops “fully cover the chest, back, abdomen and sides of the student.”
    A photo Spies submitted for the yearbook shows her wearing a short yellow skirt with a black shawl that exposes her shoulders and midsection.
    “It’s a little different from everyone else’s picture,” she said.
    But she said it was the one that best represented her personality.
    “I feel like they aren’t allowing me to have my freedom of expression,” said Spies, 18. “I think the administration is wrong in this situation, and I don’t want this to happen to other people.”
    Spies argued that until the school creates a formal policy about yearbook photos, it can’t tell her not to use her picture.
    DHS Principal Diane Lashinsky and assistant principal LeAnne Garcia declined requests for comment about the issue. Spies said she has arranged a meeting with Lashinsky on Friday morning to discuss the photo.
    Adam Goldstein, attorney advocate for the Student Press Law Center, said Spies’ allegations against the school’s administration may be valid.
    According to Colorado Revised Statutes Section 22-1-120, “students of the public schools shall have the right to exercise freedom of speech and of the press” and that “no expression contained in a student publication, whether or not such publication is school-sponsored, shall be subject to prior restraint.”
    Goldstein said, “Hopefully, it would come as no surprise that dress codes don’t trump state law.”
    However, school administration can overrule the law under certain requirements, including obscenity.
    Obscenity is defined as material that is offensive to the community and appeals to “morbid or shameful” interests, without social, literary or artistic value, Goldstein said.
    Miki Spies, Sydney’s mother, joined her in the protest outside the high school.
    “The yearbook adviser is saying she can’t use the picture; so the students are left with no voice in it,” Miki Spies said. “The law clearly states that it is the student’s right to decide.”
    The mother and daughter are making arrangements with a civil lawyer in Denver to review the case, Miki Spies said.
    The deadline to finalize photo submissions for the yearbook is Friday.
    Staff writer Emery Cowan contributed to this report.
    The Durango Herald 01/05/2012 | DHS administrators say senior’s yearbook photo violates dress code

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Oh sweet Jesus. Some days I fear for the future.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Oh sweet Jesus. Some days I fear for the future.
    Sluce, thank you... I was speechless while reading the post but you wrapped it all up pretty neatly.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

Her mother is protesting for the right to have that photo immortalized in hundreds of books for all eternity? Guess that explains something. Listen up Spies family...The Stodden and her mother have done this first and far better than you could possibly hope, give it up.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

But it expresses her personality (as an attention whore) people!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post

it's 'cannot', not 'can not'... too bad no one taught these dumb bimbos proper grammar and spelling.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Whatta skank. If I were the school admins, I would put her picture in the yearbook just so that everyone could mercilessly mock her.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    But it expresses her personality (as an attention whore) people!

Or maybe just a whore whore.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I'm wondering why she's not wearing fishnets in the picture. The she has a yearbook photo AND flyer material.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

She's the Emma Goldman of cheesy tarts.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

She's about one boob job away from marrying some creepy 52 year old background actor.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

They should get Courtney Stodden to be their spokeswhore.

Anyone got her on twitter? You could suggest it!

-- Stephen Hawking

Can you believe this chick is OLDER than Courtney Stodden, allegedly?
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Sydney Spies: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1519048122
    Miki Spies: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1366764763

I couldn't be bothered posting pics but Mummy Dearest has an album of photos of Sydney "modelling" for breast cancer awareness.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information