Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police Kill Armed Eighth Grader in School Hallway

Default Police Kill Armed Eighth Grader in School Hallway

Police in Brownsville, Texas, shot and killed an eighth grader in the hallway of his middle school today after he displayed a gun and "engaged" with officers.

Welcome to 2012, everyone!

No one seems to know why the kid had a gun—or what exactly he did to "engage" (or "confront") the officers—but the school was put on lockdown and students bused out as cops searched for the student:
    Renee Almazan, 12, a seventh-grader, said she heard two or three gunshots while she was in her homeroom class. An announcement over the loudspeaker told students to get on the floor, she said.

"The teacher told us, ‘This is the real thing,'" Almazan said.
    [...]

The school was put on lockdown as officers searched the school room by room, according to a news release from the Brownsville Independent School District.
    No one else seems to have been injured, and there's no confirmation that the kid fired any shots at all.

Police Kill Armed Eighth Grader in School Hallway
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Brownsville police shot and killed a 15-year-old eighth-grader at a middle school after he pointed a gun at them this morning, police said.

One student said the teen who was shot had a knife and a gun at school and was involved in a fight before the shooting.

The shooting happened at about 8 a.m. at Cummings Middle School in Brownsville, said Jose Treviño, a police spokesman.

No other students or administrators were injured in the shooting, Treviño said.

He said police responded to a call from administrators that a student had brought a gun to school.

“The individual confronted the officers, at which time they had to shoot him,” Treviño said.

Treviño said he didn't know how many officers responded or fired their weapons. He would not give the teen's name because he is a juvenile.
    Ashton Dominguez, 15, an eighth grader, said he knew the teen and that he played sports and was in the band. That morning, the student was involved in a fight and was taken, along with his opponent, to the principal's office, Dominguez said. Shortly afterward, he heard three shots coming from the hallway. The school immediately went on lockdown and five or 10 minutes later students heard police in the hallways, Dominguez said.

Renee Almazan, 12, a seventh-grader, said she heard two or three gunshots while she was in her homeroom class. An announcement over the loudspeaker told students to get on the floor, she said.

“The teacher told us, ‘This is the real thing,'” Almazan said.

Seventh-grader Abigail Lozano said she was in her homeroom when the school was locked down. Teachers and administrators didn't tell students much as they were hustled to buses and taken to a nearby high school.
    “I was kind of nervous,” she said. “They didn't tell us what was happening.”

The school was put on lockdown as officers searched the school room by room, according to a news release from the Brownsville Independent School District. Cummings students and employees were bused to Porter High School, and parents were asked to wait for information in the Ringgold Civic Pavilion at Dean Porter Park. Students, parents and employees will have the opportunity to speak with school counselors, according to the news release.

Meanwhile, cars queued up in front of the high school where Cummings students had been taken as parents rushed out of work to check on their children.

Jackie Salinas, 14, a freshman, said students at both Cummings and Porter were sent home for the day. School at Cummings is canceled Thursday, but students who want to attend class can report to Breeden Elementary School.

Daniel Lozano, the father of a 14-year-old eighth-grader, said he and his wife closed up their small grocery and rushed to the school to find information. So far he'd heard nothing. He expressed alarm that someone had been able to get a gun into the middle school.

“This is really messed up,” said Lozano, no relation to Abigail Lozano. “I thought they had more security.”

Dina Coronado, a teacher at another BISD school whose son attends Cummings, said the district handled things well. Parents were required to sign a release paper to pick up their children, and the scene inside the high school was orderly. Still, Coronado said, she was terrified when she heard about the shooting.

“What mother wouldn't be?” she said. “I really lost it. You think the worst as a parent.”

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

15 year-old 8th grader?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    15 year-old 8th grader?
    That was my first thought, too.

I'm having reading comprehension problems -- did the boy fire three shots and then police were called? Or were the shots fired by police?

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    That was my first thought, too.

I'm having reading comprehension problems -- did the boy fire three shots and then police were called? Or were the shots fired by police?
    From how I'm understanding it, the shots were fired and 5/10 minutes later the police was heard in the hallway.

15 year-old 8th grader?
    My oldest will turn 14 and is in 8th never failed, so I'm guessing he should have been in 9th failed once? I'm reading it as he fired shots and then the police were heard too.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

It's tragic, but it could have been a heck of a lot worse.

15 year-old 8th grader?
    How about the 14 year old freshman. So she's 14 and in the sixth grade

Quote Originally Posted by teforde23 View Post
    How about the 14 year old freshman. So she's 14 and in the sixth grade
    lmao I'm guessing freshman as in 9th grade some schools have jr and high school combined, hell here it's k-12th in one school

BROWNSVILLE, Texas (AP) — An armed eighth-grader gunned down by police officers in the hallway of his Texas middle school Wednesday was brandishing a pellet gun that looked like a firearm, and he refused repeated orders to lower the weapon before the officers opened fire, police said.
    The carbon-dioxide powered pellet gun 15-year-old Jaime Gonzalez was holding looked like a handgun, and the initial report to police that sent officers rushing to Cummings Middle School Wednesday morning was for a student seen holding a gun, Orlando Rodriguez, Brownsville's interim police chief, said at a news conference.
    Robert Valle, a 13-year-old who was among the school's 750 students locked down in their classrooms during the confrontation, said he heard police run down the hallway and yell "put the gun down," before several shots were fired.
    "He had plenty of opportunities to lower the weapon ... and he didn't want to," Rodriguez said. Two officers fired three shots, striking Gonzalez at least twice, he said. The autopsy results are pending.
    Rodriguez said that before the confrontation with police, Gonzalez walked into a Cummings Middle School classroom and punched another boy in the nose. He said he doesn't know why Gonzalez was brandishing the weapon.
    Earlier Wednesday, before police said the weapon was actually a pellet gun, Jaime's godmother Norma Leticia Navarro told The Associated Press she couldn't imagine what led to the fatal confrontation.
    "Jaime was not a bad kid, and I wish I could ask him why he did that, why did you put yourself in that position?"
    Still, she said she understood that police were doing their job, but she expressed frustration that a child was killed and wondered if something else could have been done.
    "I'm not saying he was perfect or an angel, but he was a very giving person."
    She said both of his parents work, and that his stepmother raised him from infancy and was very strict with him.
    As word of the shooting spread quickly through the city on Texas' southern tip, where violence frequently spills over from Mexico's drug war, frantic parents rushed to reach their children.
    Those who got their early on were able to retrieve their frightened children, but some who arrived later found the street outside the school lined with squad cars and blocked off. About two hours after the shooting, dozens of frustrated parents and relatives flooded out of the park pavilion without their children after school officials announced that all remaining children had been bused to a high school and could be picked up there.
    Julie Tomalenas waited for an hour to pick up her 13-year-old sister before being told of the relocation.
    "It was very stressful not knowing if she was OK, where she was, when we could see her again," Tomalenas said.
    The lockdown was lifted about two hours after the shooting, but the students and employees were relocated while officers investigated at the school, Brown said.

Police: Student killed by officers had pellet gun - Yahoo! News

damn and all over a pellet gun

sounds like suicide by cop. poor, messed up kid.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The kid is a moron for not listening to the damn police. Not that I'd come to school with a gun (real or not) but I'm pretty sure that I would listen to a group of policemen pointing their guns at me. What I don't understand is why the police couldn't shoot him in the leg or use a taser.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

I bet the officer that shot him feels horrible, even though he may have thought that he was going to get shot himself.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

sounds like suicide by cop. poor, messed up kid.
    This. I am just so sickened by this, too. That poor child and his VERY poor parents. This is so damn sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    The kid is a moron for not listening to the damn police. Not that I'd come to school with a gun (real or not) but I'm pretty sure that I would listen to a group of policemen pointing their guns at me. What I don't understand is why the police couldn't shoot him in the leg or use a taser.
    I watched on a news program where some cop said that handguns aren't accurate past a certain distance, I think he said "don't get fancy" and that they're just trained to shoot at the torso. If the cops weren't close enough to get a good bead on the kid's shoulder - and the kid was pointing his weapon straight at the cop - it's understandable.
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information