Thread: Girl Missing Since 2004 Tsunami Found Alive in Indonesia

Default Girl Missing Since 2004 Tsunami Found Alive in Indonesia

Girl Missing Since 2004 Tsunami Found Alive in Indonesia

By Liz Raftery
    Friday December 23, 2011 10:50 AM EST
    Meri Yuranda reunites with her family after seven years

In a true holiday miracle, a young girl who was swept away in the Indian Ocean tsunami seven years ago was found alive and reunited with her family in Indonesia this week.

Wati, 15, walked into a café in the city of Meulaboh trying to find her parents Wednesday, according to the Associated Press.

After going missing in the 2004 natural disaster, the girl, whose birth name is Meri Yuranda, was "adopted" by a woman who called her Wati and forced her to work on the streets as a beggar, the AP reports. When she stopped earning money, the woman finally let Wati go this week, and a taxi driver helped her return to her village Wednesday armed with little information about her birth family.

"When I saw my mother, I knew it was her. I just knew it," Wati said.

"I cannot tell you how grateful I am," her mother, Yusniar binti Ibrahim Nur, told the AP, who added that a series of birthmarks on her daughter's stomach, plus a mole and a scar on her face, confirmed her identity.

Wati's older sister, who also disappeared during the tsunami, is still missing.

The 2004 tsunami killed more than 230,000 people in 14 countries, with Indonesia being the hardest-hit.

Girl Missing Since 2004 Tsunami Found Alive in Indonesia - Tsunami, Good Deeds, Real People Stories : People.com

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Wow. This story is almost unbelievable. Happy they are reunited.

I wonder how many other children ended up like her?

Can they prosecute the woman that stopped her returning, that is horrible, but a good outcome in the end.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I wonder how many other children ended up like her?
    At least one other. From last year:

Sri Lanka Child Assumed Dead In 2004 Tsunami Is Found After Six Years

12/11/10

A Sri Lankan tsunami survivor pays tribute to a grave on the fifth anniversary of Tsunami, in Peraliya, Sri Lanka, Saturday, Dec. 26, 2009.

A six-year-old Sri Lankan girl previously believed to have been lost or killed during the 2004 tsunami has been found after six years.

The BBC reports that the girl was living with a couple who claimed falsely to be her parents in Colombo. According to Anoma Dissanayake of the National Child Protection Authority (NCPA), the girl, believed to be from the southern town of Galle, "was not legally adopted and her identification papers were falsified. We will now be conducting DNA tests to find her real parents."

Staff at the NCPA were called to the family's home after neighbors alleged that the girl was being abused, the AFP is reporting. The child's foster-father claims she had been bought for about $20 from a worker at a hospital devastated in the disaster, which killed over 30,000 people. "It was obvious their story was untrue," Dissanayake told the BBC. "You cannot buy children off the streets in Sri Lanka as if you were buying mangoes." The foster-father has since been arrested, although police are continuing to search for his wife.

NCPA officials say there is no evidence that the girl had actually been mistreated. Dissanayake said that it could take anything between a week to a year for her agency to find the child's parents. "Until her real parents are traced the girl will looked after by us," Dissanayake said.
    Sri Lanka Child Assumed Dead In 2004 Tsunami Is Found After Six Years

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Imagine you're a parent that lost a child during this, and you read these stories. You'd go crazy from wondering if your kid was out there. Jesus.

Oh my god, that poor girl. Glad she's home with her family where she belongs, wee soul.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Dissanayake told the BBC. "You cannot buy children off the streets in Sri Lanka as if you were buying mangoes."
    I'm sure the dude knows what he's talking about, but I strongly suspect he's wrong, who knows what happens in times of national emergency? Its bad enough that one can buy kids at other times. Unless of course he means that it would cost you more than 20 quid?
    Free Charmed.

I think they mean that it's unacceptable not that it didn't happen.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Thread Information