Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy With Down’s Syndrome Suspended For Alleged Sexual Harassment

Default Boy With Down’s Syndrome Suspended For Alleged Sexual Harassment

A 14-year-old boy with Down's syndrome was suspended from his Missouri middle school for what they say was sexual harassment, but his mom says was merely an enthusiastic hug. Who's right?

Here's Central Middle School's description of Aleczander Fujimoto's actions, according to KSDK:
    Alec approached (the school bus aide) on the bus for a hug and she told him no and tried to push him off her. He proceeded to lay on her and (mimic a sex act, while clothed). She tried to push him off her and hollered for help. When she finally was able to get him off of her, he ran to the back of the bus. After a lot of coaxing, Alec finally got up and got off the bus.
    Aleczander's mom Tonia Fujimoto says she's confident no harassment occurred:
    There was no such thing. He was excited. And I feel like when he gets excited and he hugs me, it's like Christmas morning. He'll come up and give me a hug you know. And he'll be jumping up and down. And I feel like that may be what she experienced. I don't think his act was sexual in nature. He gives people hugs all the time.
    Of course, Tonia Fujimoto wasn't at school, so she can't know for sure what occurred. However, the school does have security video of the incident, which it has for some reason refused to show her. This seems like a bad decision — shouldn't a mom have all the available information so she can help her kid learn appropriate behavior?

Then there's the matter of punishment. Aleczander has been suspended from school, a punishment his mom says he simply won't understand. His case has also been referred to the local juvenile hall, which his mom calls "stupid." She asks, "who puts a child with Down syndrome in juvenile?" Both punishments seem potentially counterproductive. If Aleczander has trouble greeting people in an appropriate way, he needs to learn how to do that — and suspending him from school or sending him to juvenile detention are unlikely to teach that lesson. If Central Middle School feels Aleczander poses an ongoing danger to staff and fellow students, then he needs to be taught elsewhere. But if he's going to keep attending Central, the school needs to work with (not against) his mom to discipline him in ways that actually help him behave better.

Boy With Down's Syndrome Suspended For Alleged Sexual Harassment
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Aleczander?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I work with people with disabilities and I can see this happening. Alot of them act out sexually and just because they can't really comprehend their sexuality it doesn't mean they can't or won't have sex and I have seen them act really inappropriate toward staff. I find that parents of disabled people always think they are "innocent" sorry but they behave badly too
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    He was excited. And I feel like when he gets excited and he hugs me, it's like Christmas morning.
    Lady, not everybody loves hugs from your kid.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I believe the aide. I doubt this was her first ever interaction with Aleczander and I seriously doubt she would go forward with claims against a boy with downs syndrome if she didn't feel it was truly sexual in nature.

When I was in about grade 2, there was a boy named Steven in our school. He was 6 or 7 years older than me. He went to just hug me one day (or so I thought) but then he reached for my chest (obviously I didn't have boobs at the time) and how he ended up groping me was very definitely sexual. I never told anyone because I didn't want to "tell on the boy with downs syndrome".

So for me, I believe that this is possible and that the aide probably had to feel really violated to speak up.

Why would the school work with the mom when the mom is clearly in denial about her little angel? That mom is never going to admit that her son has sexual urges.

I mean, come on. The kid is 14, not 4. Unless he had some injury to his genitals, even kids with Down's go through puberty and have the attendant hormonal changes and biological urges. They need to be taught what to do about them appropriately, but that won't happen if the parents think the kids are eunuchs. All this kid probably knew was that hugging feels nice, and that rubbing his genitals on that aide DEFINITELY felt nice. I have no problem with the school suspending the kid, because they're probably trying to figure out how and in what capacity to bring the kid back to school and their first priority should be in protecting the victim. What, should they suspend the aide? Actions have consequences, and a kid with Down's needs to learn that just as well as a non-disabled kid.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

He is capable of understanding things if his mum would wake up and explain it. His mum needs to stop pretending that he is a baby and realise that he is a teenage boy going through puberty.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

fgg

my sister is 31 and has down syndrome. there is no way in hell we can explain sex to her because she functions a lot like a <10 year old. until you've experienced it, you can't tell anyone how to deal. my BIGGEST fear in life is that she will be taken advantage of in a sexual manner. she has always has "boyfriends" that she kisses but beyond that, nothing. she naturally has sexual feelings but explaining really means nothing.

i definitely believe that this kid could have done what the aid said. a discussion should have happened with him that this was inappropriate behavior but it's really hard to communicate everything, depending on the level of severity of the down's.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I think the school did the right thing.

Then why won't they just let her see the video?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I can see suspending the kid until they figure out how to handle things, but not referring things to juvenile court.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Aleczander?
    this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Juvenile court won't do anything to the kid except probably get him some counseling. If the mom is in as much denial as it sounds, the school probably has no choice but to refer it to a court who would make the mom get the kid some help. Also, the school is probably following their in-place procedures for such incidents and can't just make an exception for a disabled kid.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Again, show mom the tape. If she's still in denial, then take it to the next level.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I think the school did the right thing. There was a boy with Down's in my school who was obsessed with me, and the school was very hesitant to intervene or to tell him to stay away from me until finally my parents had to get involved and threaten the administration.

It caused me a lot of stress and anxiety, and to this day I am uncomfortable around teenage or adult males who have Down's Syndrome. A lot of people are hesitant to do anything about unwanted sexual advances from the intellectually disabled because they are afraid of being labeled "ignorant" or "intolerant".

The fact that the boy has Downs does not make his unwanted sexual advances any less upsetting or uncomfortable for the victim.

If he lacks the mental capacity to refrain from making unwanted sexual advances, or sexually assaulting this woman or someone else, and his mom is unwilling or unable to do anything about it, the school is right to remove him for the safety of the other students and faculty members.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information