Thread: Racist Girls Basketball Team Explains They’re Totally Not Racist

Default Racist Girls Basketball Team Explains They’re Totally Not Racist

This week every player on Kenmore East High School's girls basketball team is serving a two day suspension for performing a pre-game chant that included the N-word. The team's only black player says she asked her teammates to stop doing the cheer, but they explained it was just a joke and they aren't racist. Considering that members of the Kentucky church that banned interracial couples also insisted they weren't biased, it seems this needs to be said: If you do things that demean people due to their ethnicity, you are a racist.
    ABC News reports that in addition to the suspensions, the girls' upcoming field trip was canceled, and they were ordered to undergo cultural sensitivity training. School officials say they had no idea that the team has been chanting, "One, two, three, nigger," in the locker room before games for about five years. The tradition came to light last week after 15-year-old Tyra Batts, who is black, got into a fight with one of her teammates. Batts says she asked the team to give up on the chant when she first heard it this semester, but obviously it's hard to give up on such an incredibly witty and motivational saying. Batts told the Buffalo News:
    "I said, 'You're not allowed to say that word because I don't like that word ... They said, 'You know we're not racist, Tyra. It's just a word, not a label.' I was outnumbered."
    This may shock you, but it turns out Batts was actually better at determining what is and isn't offensive than her 11 non-minority teammates. She says that the rest of the players also thought it was acceptable to routinely make racial comments during practices, including references to shackles and "picking cotton."
    Batts says the final straw came after she "said something dumb" and a teammate called her "a black piece of [expletive]." The next time Batts saw the girl she shoved her into a locker, choked her and punched her. The two girls were suspended for five days for fighting, but Batts says the attack was, "a buildup of anger and frustration at being singled out of the whole team."
    The incident has sparked a huge controversy over race relations at the school, and incredibly, some are defending the team's actions. Senior Amber Schurter, who is biracial, told the local ABC affiliate that when she was on the team last year she participated in the chant, and she found nothing wrong with it. She explains:
    "If you don't know the people on the team, then obviously you're going to probably think this a little weird and you're going to look at them as kind of racist, I guess, but I know that they're not."
    Of course, of course. The girls don't dislike students of other ethnicities, the just don't have enough respect for them to stop using racist slurs, even after someone explains that the words are hurtful and offensive.

N Word Chant Gets Girls Basketball Team Suspended [ABC News]
    Basketball Players Suspended For N-Word [Buffalo News]

Racist Girls Basketball Team Explains They're Totally Not Racist

Damn, they're dumb. Why do you suppose that the bi-racial senior who thinks this is all hunky dory isn't playing in her senior year?

How, in the 2010s, do people think they can be racist and claim they're not? Where were the coaches in all this?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

This is likely how all of them were brought up; they wouldn't consider it to be racist, they'd just think it's how things are. Racism is one of those things that has to be pointed out, and then you really have to get why it's racist. Otherwise, it makes little difference.

My folks used to call people of other races and ethnic backgrounds names, and it's how I was brought up. I thought all "polacks" (Polish people) were inherently stupid, kikes (Jews) are thrifty and shifty etc. I didn't think anything about it until I got old enough to take a look at the world around me and notice how ignorant this kind of thinking was. I asked my mom a few years before she passed exactly what ingredient made Polish people stupid - she didn't have an answer. She'd been brought up like that as well.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

So they count to three and throw a racial epithet in at the end. And that's considered a cheer. And it's not racist at all. Uh huh.

All that should matter is that it hurt someone. You hurt your team mate. It was cruel, mean, and just out right wrong. What the hell is wrong with people?

WTF? I know it's probably a hick town....but it's 2011 and all these kids have access to the internet. There's no more excuses for being so backwardassed. That they actually needed to be pointed out that this was racist blows my mind. I think it's more like they knew but just didn't give a fuck. Because they're racists. Glad they're getting publicly shamed. (Thank you internet)
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    WTF? I know it's probably a hick town....but it's 2011 and all these kids have access to the internet. There's no more excuses for being so backwardassed. That they actually needed to be pointed out that this was racist blows my mind. I think it's more like they knew but just didn't give a fuck. Because they're racists. Glad they're getting publicly shamed. (Thank you internet)
    Nope, it was in the heart of Buffalo, NY. Close enough though.

I know that the word "racist" can be thrown around a bit much sometimes, but if these teenage girls didn't realize how racist this was, there was no hope for them in the first place. I'm pretty sure their parents used that type of language all the time.
    What Kind of Welfare, Witchcraft Hocus Pocus Hoedown is this?!

I dunno... If they're kids, I like to think there's still hope for them. Once you get them away from their racist environment.

But Buffalo, NY? Damn. I live in confederate flag flying MS and you would not have to tell people here that this is racist. (But you would probably have some that wouldn't give a shit).
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I think it was pointed out in an article about the movie The Help, of all things. The writer took the characterizations to task because the racists were so one-dimensional. Evil people = racists and vice versa. The reality is, some of the nicest people in the world can have racist ideas and attitudes and not really think anything of it - until shit like this goes down.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I dunno... If they're kids, I like to think there's still hope for them. Once you get them away from their racist environment.

But Buffalo, NY? Damn. I live in confederate flag flying MS and you would not have to tell people here that this is racist. (But you would probably have some that wouldn't give a shit).
    I had the misfortune of living in Jackson for almost 10 years, and given Mississippi's history, most people know what time it is, but I will say that the most overt racists down there are pretty damn honest about it and don't give a shit. More than I can say for people in parts of the northern US.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I think it was pointed out in an article about the movie The Help, of all things. The writer took the characterizations to task because the racists were so one-dimensional. Evil people = racists and vice versa. The reality is, some of the nicest people in the world can have racist ideas and attitudes and not really think anything of it - until shit like this goes down.
    Very true.
    What Kind of Welfare, Witchcraft Hocus Pocus Hoedown is this?!

I think they should be suspended off the team for the rest of the year. There is absolutely no excuse for using the n word, nor is there an excuse to reference "cotton picking" and shackles. This type of shit really pisses me the fuck off.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Thread Information