Thread: Fox News Hates the Muppets

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Fox News Hates the Muppets

Does the GOP Need to Investigate the Muppets?

Are the Muppets Communists?

By Jeremy Stahl
    | Posted Monday, Dec. 5, 2011, at 6:23 PM ET

First Lady Michelle Obama is joined by Kermit the Frog during the National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony on December 1, 2011. Photo by JEWEL SAMAD/AFP/Getty Images

Fox Business Network did its best last week to match the Fox News Channel’s great tradition of surreal, self-parodying, manufactured outrage. Their latest target: The Muppets.

In a Follow the Money segment, host Eric Bolling and guest Dan Gainor of the conservative Media Research Center went after the latest Muppet movie’s anti-corporate message, equating the film with Communist propaganda. Though we can’t wait to see how Jon Stewart handles the episode on The Daily Show, the Twitterverse seems to have already beat him to the best punch line.

The Twitterati have suggested that House Republicans investigate the potentially un-American activities of Kermit, Fozzy, Miss Piggy, and Gonzo (especially Gonzo, obviously) with the popular hashtag #GOPMuppetHearings. It seems to have started, or at least started to take off, with this straightforward Tweet by blogger Oliver Willis:

“Mr. The Frog, have you ever been a communist?” #GOPMuppetHearings
    Slate’s own judicial columnist Dahlia Lithwick helped keep the ball rolling:

Talk a little more about this whole “rainbow connection” #GOPMuppetHearings
    And YOU Mister Swedish Chef, I assume that in your country “morp morp morp” signifies the means of production, yes?? #GOPMuppetHearings
    Here are some of our other favorites from today’s shenanigans:

@owillis: “Let me phrase it in a way you can understand: Elmo love redistribute income?” #GOPMuppetHearings
    @brookejarvis: RT @CitizenRick: “Meep meep meep is not speech, Mr. Beaker. Money is speech.” #GOPMuppetHearings
    @julietlapidos: “Mr. The Grouch, the First Amendment protects speech, not your right to camp out in a tent, tarp, or garbage can” #GOPMuppetHearings
    @nightoatmeal: “Well I believe that being green is a choice, Mr. The Frog.” #GOPMuppetHearings
    @phillipwserna: RT @jennygadget: “Mr. Frog, is it or is it not true that you and your cohorts once tried to ‘take’ Manhattan?” #GOPMuppetHearings
    Your move, Mr. Stewart. You can watch the Fox Business Channel segment below.

• Slate is published by The Slate Group, a Division of the Washington Post Company
      All contents © 2011 The Slate Group, LLC. All rights reserved. User Agreement and Privacy Policy
    Are the Muppets Communists?

There is a video at the link.

OMG i can't believe the shit these guys are saying. the blonde woman is the only one who makes sense and they're constantly interrupting her. i'm sure it's the evil liberal muppets that do the brainwashing.

"it's amazing how far the left will go to manipulate your kids."
    "the occupy wall street people... have been indoctrinated for years by this kind of stuff."
    "i wish liberals would leave little kids alone."

jesus christ.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Thread Information