Thread: Pregnant Woman Miscarries After Being Sprayed With Pepper Spray

Default Pregnant Woman Miscarries After Being Sprayed With Pepper Spray

"I was standing in the middle of the crowd when the police started moving in," she says. "I was screaming, 'I am pregnant, I am pregnant. Let me through. I am trying to get out.'"

At that point, a Seattle police officer lifted his foot and it hit her in the stomach, and another officer pushed his bicycle into the crowd, again hitting Fox in the stomach. "Right before I turned, both cops lifted their pepper spray and sprayed me. My eyes puffed up and my eyes swelled shut," she says.

She was fine for a couple days, until she started feeling sick.

Jennifer went to the doctor and found out her baby had no heartbeat. "They said the damage was from the kick and that the pepper spray got to it [the fetus], too."

Source: slog.thestranger.com
    Pregnant Woman Miscarries After Being Sprayed With Pepper Spray
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

That poor girl. Absolutely horrendous.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Default Questioning the Accuracy of Jennifer Fox's Miscarriage Claim (Updated)

Yesterday Jennifer Fox claimed that she miscarried her fetus (first on this blog and then to The Stranger) , three months into her pregnancy, five days after police pepper sprayed her at an Occupy Seattle protest. I repeatedly asked if she could provide any medical records to back up her claim—a claim that doctors at Harborview Medical Center said her clash with police caused the miscarriage—but she said she would be in touch with a case worker. Lacking a way to verify her claim (except asking for her records) I said I would follow up.

So I tracked Fox down today at the Occupy Seattle encampment at Seattle Central Community College. Had she contacted anyone at the hospital? “I can’t go to the hospital until Sunday or Monday,” she said. Fox said that she’s having a memorial service for her miscarried baby and one of her fellow occupiers is planning a candlelight vigil, which will consume her time until next week. Can't she get away to the hospital for an hour? “No.” I provided Fox a copy of a records release for the hospital, which she put into her coat, but again Fox said she couldn’t go request her records until next week. I offered her a ride to and from the hospital, but she again refused. I explained to Fox that, lacking any evidence of her claim, her story was increasingly subject to scrutiny.

While sources in general should be given the benefit of the doubt—even if they are homeless women—and there is no evidence that Fox isn't being entirety forthright, her story looks increasingly dubious.

It's worth pointing out that in the Seattlepi.com article last week, the reporter noted that Fox was two months pregnant, when she told me that she was three months pregnant at the time.

UPDATE at 4:18 PM: Acting on an anonymous tip, we heard that Seattle police found Fox in a house nearly nine weeks ago. According to a police report in which the names have been redacted, a suspect who appears to have a three-letter last name "said she is three months pregnant... and began crying when [a suspect] was arrested. [The person with a three-letter last name] began holding her stomach and screaming that it hurt."

The woman was transferred to Harborview Medical Center. We are attempting to contact Fox to ask if she is the woman in the police report.

SPD has now provided a statement, saying that no complaint has been filed in the original incident. Seattle police sergeant Sean Whitcomb says: "We are aware of a claim that a pregnant woman who attended the November 15 Occupy Seattle march has been treated for miscarriage. We are also aware that she has attributed the miscarriage to the use of pepper spray and physical contact by Seattle police officers. No formal complaint has been made. Consistent with standard procedure, the Office of Professional Accountability, or OPA, has initiated an internal investigation to look into the matter further. The OPA investigators will be actively searching for any information that will support this claim."

Questioning the Accuracy of Jennifer Fox's Miscarriage Claim (Updated) | Slog
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thanks witchgurl

Nobody needs to provide their personal medical records to satisfy some blog writer. Why would this writer think they were entitled to her medical records? Unless she is not the pregnant teen who was widely seen being pepper sprayed, this seems kind of like Fox news reporting...a redacted name that may be a 3 letter last name from a police report?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll

Doubts Raised About Occupy Protester's Miscarriage

Like the UC-Davis pepper spraying or the 84-year-old woman pepper sprayed at a Seattle protest, the story of 19-year-old Jennifer Fox seemed destined to be yet another horrifying example of police brutality against nonviolent protesters. Photographs and video footage make it indisputable that Fox was injured at the protest when police pepper sprayed her until her eyes swelled shut. But Fox also claimed that cops kicked her in the stomach, and in doing so caused a miscarriage of her 3-month pregnancy. Sympathy poured out from all corners of the Internet for Fox, who is also homeless and says she's been relying on the Occupy protests for food and shelter. A homeless pregnant woman attacked by police for protesting economic injustice who then loses her pregnancy? If billionaire Michael Bloomberg is the perfect Occupy villain, Fox is really the perfect Occupy victim.

Unfortunately, while there's no doubt that Fox was injured with pepper spray, there are now doubts being raised about her miscarriage. Dominic Holden at the Stranger has had no luck in verifying Fox's story that she visited the hospital in the days after the police attack because of cramps, only to discover that she had lost the pregnancy. Her descriptions of her pregnancy keep changing, and frankly, there's something a bit off about her reaction to an early-term miscarriage. (I've never heard of a candlelight vigil and a memorial service for a 3-month-old fetus, even amongst rabid fetus-worshipping anti-abortionists.) She's refused any attempt to clarify exactly what happened, and there's reports that her family believes she plays fast and loose with the truth. Now the police are investigating what happened, and I'm guessing they're not going to be quiet about it if it turns out Fox is lying.

If she is indeed exaggerating the extent of her injuries to include a miscarriage, that's a very serious problem. Stereotypes about the protesters as drama queens and stereotypes about women especially as being hysterical and deceitful will be in heavy play in the reaction to this. Just as the very rare false report of rape is used by rape apologists to cast doubt on the vast majority of truthful rape reports, we can expect the bad behavior of a single protester to be exploited in an attempt to discredit the entire movement. From a feminist perspective, this is also deeply distressing. Most women don't lie about pregnancy or use pregnancy to manipulate people, but the rare occasions when it's happened are often exploited by those who have an anti-woman agenda. These sorts of incidents say little about women as a group, and usually stem from the mental-health issues of the woman acting out. In all the political tug-of-war that's erupting from this incident, the one thing that's sadly sure to be lost is understanding that, one way or another, Fox seems like a woman in a distressing situation who is not getting the help that she needs.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor...carriage_.html
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Doubts Raised About Occupy Protester's Miscarriage

...and stereotypes about women especially as being hysterical and deceitful will be in heavy play in the reaction to this. An Occupy protester has accused the police of inducing a miscarriage.
    Really? Did this fucknut really put those words in that order and publish them?

(see how I did that wcg? I kept the title and article link so no one would think that you wrote that)

Thank you Mama.

No idea if the miscarriage story is true or false but I must say that 'Miracle' is a really fucking stupid name for a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Thank you Mama.

No idea if the miscarriage story is true or false but I must say that 'Miracle' is a really fucking stupid name for a baby.
    If you think that's weird, there was a news announcer out here (WTOP) whose name was "Milagros Jardin". Which I think literally translates to "miracle garden".

Miracle is an excellent name. For a horse.

LOL, Miracle is stupid. I remember watching Maury, and a women named her daughter "Secret" because she didn't know who the baby's father is. Secret is a good name for a stripper.

If I had dumbass parents who named me Secret, I'd change my name to Victoria and never tell anyone why. It would make me chuckle, at least! Also I think it's pretty shitty to sit around on a blog questioning this story. Women are too often dismissed, ridiculed, or just straight-up called liars when they speak out against any form of abuse, and if this is true, it's fucking cruel to accuse her of faking it when she lost her child for no good reason at all. Ugh.
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

Default Police: 'Pregnant' Occupy protestor tried to lure children

Occupy Seattle protestor Jennifer Fox has publicly levied a serious claim against the Seattle Police Department; that two officers are responsible for the death of her unborn child. But now, as her claim is called into question and new information about the 19-year-old surfaces, she may come out of the ordeal being perceived as much more than a troubled teen desperate for attention.

97.3 KIRO FM has learned that Fox was once suspected of trying to lure two young children away from their mother. In a police report dated August 3, 2011, a mother stated a young woman had approached her daughters at Seattle's Pritchard Beach Park during a swimming lesson. Police sources confirm that woman was Fox.

"(The mother) stated she observed (Fox) approach her children as they made their way from the lake to her car," read the report. "(The mother) stated she could tell that (Fox) was asking the children questions by the way they were acting."

When the mother confronted Fox, Fox stated she was a swimming coach in Bellevue and was offering the children lessons.

"Fox stated she had just returned from Greece where she had won every event she had entered in a swim meet," according to the report. The girls told their mother Fox had asked them to leave with her, and had offered them a ride if they came to Bellevue to swim with her.

Lifeguards at the facility decided to call police, who questioned Fox upon arrival.

"(Fox) stated she had been trained as a swimming coach while on the 'Special Olympics team.' (Fox) stated she had 48 gold medals."

Officers determined Fox "may be suffering from a mental illness or drug addiction," and allowed her to leave, with the condition that she not return to the park. But, the incident adds to the growing suspicion that Fox was not pregnant during the clash with Seattle police last week that she said resulted in a miscarriage.

As 97.3 KIRO FM first reported Tuesday, Fox had told police she was three months pregnant in September when facing arrest, which would make it impossible for her to have been three months pregnant last week, as she claimed.

On Sept. 22, 2011, Seattle police responded to a vacant building located in 1250 Denny Way where a security officer reported six squatters. One of those people, according to police sources, was Fox.

According to the police report, Fox told an officer she was three months pregnant and began crying when arrested.

"(Fox) began holding her stomach and was screaming when she was arrested," read the report. (Fox) was treated at the scene and transported to HMC."

Fox's former foster parents, Mike and Lark Stebbins, told 97.3 KIRO FM's Dori Monson Show Wednesday that she has a history of telling damaging lies.

"Jennifer has a tendency to exaggerate," Lark said. "Jennifer doesn't understand the ramifications of allegations towards people, and that's my concern with this possible lawsuit against the Seattle Police Department."

The night Fox was pepper sprayed, Lark said she got a phone call from her. Fox was at Harborview Medical Center getting her eyes examined because of the spray, but did not mention any of the accusations that would later surface.

"She did not mention having a bike thrown at her," Lark said. "She did not mention that she was pregnant. She did not mention that she was kicked in the stomach."

When confronted about the September police report Tuesday, Fox denied remembering the incident. Then, she changed her story and said that the "police report must have been wrong," because she told police she was one month pregnant at the time.

So far, Fox has declined to provide medical records or further evidence or her miscarriage.

Police: 'Pregnant' Occupy protestor tried to lure children - Seattle News - MyNorthwest.com

Lying is never a good thing, but as far as crimes and offenses go, I'd rather have someone going around lying about non-existent babies than going around pepper spraying innocent, actually existing people.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Lying is never a good thing, but as far as crimes and offenses go, I'd rather have someone going around lying about non-existent babies than going around pepper spraying innocent, actually existing people.
    Yeah she's obviously a flake but they're kind of hounding the victim, even if she wasn't pregnant. She shouldn't be filing fake lawsuits and wasting resources but it doesn't change the fact that she was peppersprayed by police.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Thread Information