Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philip Morris sues Australia over cigarette packaging

Default Philip Morris sues Australia over cigarette packaging

21 November 2011 Last updated at 07:56 GMT

Philip Morris sues Australia over cigarette packaging

Under the new law, brand names will appear in the same position, font, size and colour on packets
    Continue reading the main story Related Stories

Tobacco giant Philip Morris is suing the Australian government over a new law making plain packaging mandatory for cigarettes from December 2012.
    Australia's parliament has passed legislation that means all tobacco will need to be sold in plain olive-brown packets with graphic health warnings.
    Canberra said the law was "one of the most momentous public health measures in Australia's history".
    But Philip Morris Asia said the move breached a bilateral investment treaty.
    It said it had served a notice of arbitration under Australia's Bilateral Investment Treaty with Hong Kong.
    PMA's Australian affiliate Philip Morris Ltd (PML) will also pursue claims under Australian domestic law.
    'Nanny state' claim PMA is arguing that removing its trademarks from tobacco packaging will cut its profits and see fake brands flood the market.
    Spokesperson Anne Edwards said: "The government has passed this legislation despite being unable to demonstrate that it will be effective at reducing smoking and has ignored the widespread concerns raised in Australia and internationally regarding the serious legal issues associated with plain packaging."
    PMA said it wanted the legislation to be suspended. It said it would ask for compensation for the billions of dollars it said the new law would cost it.
    British American Tobacco, another big cigarette company, has previously said that the legislation infringes international trademark and intellectual property laws.
    Under the new law, the only thing distinguishing tobacco brands on packets will be the brand and product name in a standard colour, position, font size and style.
    Australia's Minister for Health and Ageing Nicola Roxon said while the tobacco industry was "fighting to protect its profits, we are fighting to protect lives".
    "We know that packaging remains one of the last powerful marketing tools for tobacco companies to recruit new smokers to their deadly products. In the future, cigarette packets will serve only as a stark reminder of the devastating health effects of smoking," she said.

i'm all for banning cigarette ads on tv and smoking by-laws to prohibit smoking in restaurants and stuff but this is taking it too far.
    australia's got some totalitarian tendencies that make me uncomfortable - internet censorship, banned films, and now this...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It's weird. I mean, smoking is bad, but is it the worst thing people do? It seems like governments are always going after cigarettes. Random taxes, laws about smoking in your house, car, yard, etc.

I can remember when they banned tobacco advertising then smoking in offices, restaurants, cinemas - there was the same outcry from the tobacco companies. I have a hard time feeling sympathy for them.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

then just outright ban smoking. but as much as i love 'big' government when it comes to healthcare, good public education, social programmes, etc., i despise the idea of government intruding this much into the private lives of people and regulating everything they do. this is why i have such an issue with internet censorship, this latest cigarette thing, banned books, etc...
    i also think there's a double standard and that cigarettes are often unfairly targetted. yes, it's a nasty habit, but so's overeating, alcohol, tanning, etc.
    so unless they're also planning to put pictures of sick fatties on packs of sugar, crisps and cookies, and giant pictures of skin cancer lesions on giant posters in outdoor areas where people do stuff in the sun, and pics of giant liver tumours and car accidents on bottles of booze, then i definitely have an issue with this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i also think there's a double standard and that cigarettes are often unfairly targetted. yes, it's a nasty habit, but so's overeating, alcohol, tanning, etc. so unless they're also planning to put pictures of sick fatties on packs of sugar, crisps and cookies, and giant pictures of skin cancer lesions on giant posters in outdoor areas where people do stuff in the sun, and pics of giant liver tumours and car accidents on bottles of booze, then i definitely have an issue with this.
    I agree that all of these are bad habits but in most cases they only hurt the individual (and immediate family/loved ones) whereas smoking affects anyone who comes near the person, whether they want to or not. I start work early and eat breakfast at the office, and I hate walking to the train behind a smoker so that the first thing I ingest in the morning is their second hand smoke. But I'm always going on about it being a free country, so I put up with it on a public street by crossing the road or bolting past them.

And I don't agree with banning smoking outright - obviously prohibition doesn't work. And I also don't think that putting ciggies in plain packaging with scary messages is taking away peoples' rights - they can still buy them, they're just packaged differently. Cigarettes sold here aren't even on display so it's only the smoker who has to look at them.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

^^^
    it's already illegal to smoke in public places and even public parks in some cities. isn't that enough? are these packages really necessary? i don't think so.

I support the government's new legislation and I also support anything that sticks it to the bloody tar-stick companies. They're crying foul because this will cut into their profits? I say "boo-fucking-hoo - go give more of your 'free samples' to children in primary schools around Asia, you bastards!" Does anybody remember that shit? Indonesia, Phillipines, I don't remember which countries but the Phillip Morris jackarses can kiss my arse.

Cocaine smugglers, gun runners and people smugglers don't get to whine about their "right to make a profit". So fuck the cigarette companies and whomever the motherfuckers are who own shares in them. Growing up, I was often trapped in cars and rooms with heavy smokers (my family), so now I fully support this "out of sight, out of mind" approach the Labor government has busted out.

Fuck the CEO of cigarette companies, and fuck the shareholders too.
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    then just outright ban smoking. but as much as i love 'big' government when it comes to healthcare, good public education, social programmes, etc., i despise the idea of government intruding this much into the private lives of people and regulating everything they do. this is why i have such an issue with internet censorship, this latest cigarette thing, banned books, etc...

I agree. The government loves the tax revenues they collect on cigarettes too much. Hypocrisy.

Joe Jackson (the musician, not mj's dad) has written some interesting pieces on smoking.
    http://www.joejackson.com/smokingissue.htm

http://www.joejackson.com/pdf/5smoki...smoke_lies.pdf
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

i don't think tobacco companies are any more evil than giant pharmaceutical or agricultural corporations. when governments start punishing big pharma or giant agro corporations like monsanto, i'll agree with you. but this singling out of one type of corporation just irks me and doesn't sit well with my libertarian tendencies.

A*O

More proof that the fucking Greenies are running this country.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

If they would only legalize pot...

Then everyone would have a contact high from secondhand smoke, and the world would be a happy place.

Look, I HATE Monsanto too and I as a fat load myself I have no problem with such suggestions like: banning junk food advertisments on television during childrens' programming.

But the reason for my vitriol on this specific topic is that Phillip Morris is all "what about our profits" and I'm saying (a) a company shouldn't have greater legal rights than the thousands of people growing up inhaling the secondhand fog, and (b) it's bullshit for the cigarette companie to bitch that the government's progressive tactics are endangering their "future revenues".

Over the past two decades, millions of people have deserately tried to quick smoking - but Phillip Morris wants to sue the government for BILLIONS in "lost revenue" over this new packaging? The sole purpose of which is too disinterest the curious minds of the youth and help those attempting to quit (or since quit but trying to avoid temptation). This isn't some communist state measure to ban pop music or fun clothing designs - it's the first bright light I've seen that the government could possibly dig down deep and find itself a pair of balls and stop letting the companies dictate policy.

Sput, the reason I focused on Phillip Morris is because they are the specific company named in the article - but when I call this a the "first light" it's because I've hated Big Pharma since 1995 (I'll bet that is long before most of you knew about the corruption) and I've been thirsting for Monsanto's comeuppance since about 2002... but small steps people. These massive companies have great power and taking down the tar stick manufacturers is the baby step.

Ten years from now, I pray Glaxo Smith Kline balls will be in the same vice Phillip Morris' is now. But for today, for this lawsuit, it's the fuckers at PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    Sput, the reason I focused on Phillip Morris is because they are the specific company named in the article - but when I call this a the "first light" it's because I've hated Big Pharma since 1995 (I'll bet that is long before most of you knew about the corruption)
    Don't be so sure. It's a pretty well informed group.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Then I wish I knew you people when I was getting shoved around in high school for being the school freak for trying to warn everyone that medical cures were being suppressed because treating cancer made more money than curing it. There's an evil part of me that truly hope Adam B. and Kim and Emma H. are regreting it now.

/misanthropic hatred fuse still burning... apply chocolate icecream.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    Growing up, I was often trapped in cars and rooms with heavy smokers (my family), so now I fully support this "out of sight, out of mind" approach the Labor government has busted out.

Fuck the CEO of cigarette companies, and fuck the shareholders too.

Same here and thats a huge reason I am so anti smoking too. My siblings and I all had to deal with that plus multiple ear infections/respiratory problems as kids from my parents smoking.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information