Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 14 yr old is suspended by school 'for wearing Confederate sweatshirt'

Default 14 yr old is suspended by school 'for wearing Confederate sweatshirt'

Torri Albrecht, 14, 'suspended from New Jersey school for wearing Confederate jumper' | Mail Online

Mother left furious as daughter, 14, is suspended by school 'for wearing Confederate sweatshirt'
    New Jersey girl Torri Albrecht 'received death threats'
    Mum Jane West considering taking her out of school
    Torri is from Virginia and says her sweater is not racist
    By MARK DUELL
    Last updated at 6:55 PM on 16th November 2011

Flag: Torri Albrecht was suspended from school after wearing the sweater
    A 14-year-old girl who was suspended from school after wearing a sweater with the Confederate flag on it says she has received death threats.
    Torri Albrecht, of East Windsor, New Jersey, claims she was suspended for wearing the sweatshirt after she refused to take it off or turn it inside out.
    Her mother Jane West is now considering taking her daughter, who was born in Virginia, out of the school and suing the district over the affair.
    ‘The Indian kids wear their turbans,’ Ms West told the Times of Trenton. ‘The Jewish kids wear their yarmulkes. That’s their birthright.’
    ‘That flag is her heritage and I’m not telling her to take it off,’ Ms West said, adding she specifically told Torri to keep the sweater on the right way.

More...
    Tiger Woods to face 'racist slur' caddie in awkward President's Cup draw, but golfing WAGs have already stolen the spotlight
    But the school district denied Torri was suspended for wearing the sweater, although its dress code bans clothing creating major disturbances.
    Scroll down for video

Action: Her mother Jane West, left, is now considering taking her daughter, who was born in Virginia, out of the school and suing the district over the affair
    ‘We’d rather be proactive than reactive,’ District Superintendent Edward Forsthoffer III told the Times of Trenton.
    'The Indian kids wear their turbans. The Jewish kids wear their yarmulkes. That’s their birthright. That flag is her heritage and I’m not telling her to take it off'
    Jane West, mother
    ‘Ninety-nine times out of 100, when asked, students say: “OK, I’ll change”. Some want to make an issue of it for ulterior motives.’
    The battle flag from the American Civil War in the 19th century offends many people across the U.S. who see it as a racially-charged symbol of slavery.
    But Torri denied she was being racist. ‘It shows I am from the South,’ she told CBS 2. ‘I am proud of where I came from and it shows my heritage.’

Upset: Torri Albrecht, of East Windsor, New Jersey, claims she was suspended for wearing the sweater after she refused to take it off or turn it inside out
    Now her mother says she wants to take her daughter out of Melvin H. Kreps Middle School and send her to live with her sister in Virginia.
    'It shows I am from the South. I am proud of where I came from and it shows my heritage'
    Torri Albrecht
    ‘We are so far from prejudiced,’ Ms West told the Times of Trenton. ‘My older daughter is biracial. For Torri this was about expressing herself.’
    The Confederate battle flag has been a chief target for groups such as the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
    It called for a boycott of South Carolina in 2000 for flying the banner over its statehouse. The state moved the flag to a capitol memorial.
    In 2003, Georgia replaced its state flag, which included the Confederate battle standard, with one combining other elements from older state flags.
    See video here

Read more: Torri Albrecht, 14, 'suspended from New Jersey school for wearing Confederate jumper' | Mail Online
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Dumbass, this shit has already been ruled upon.
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

'The Indian kids wear their turbans. The Jewish kids wear their yarmulkes. That’s their birthright. That flag is her heritage and I’m not telling her to take it off'
    Jane West, mother
    so the confederate flag is a religious symbol now? her ignorance says it all...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

In New Jersey's defense (can't believe I just wrote that) they have zero ties to the confederacy, that flag is not seen as a symbol of being southern so much as being a representative element of bad mojo of the past. Yarmulkes and turbans are way more New Jersey than a Confederate flag will ever be.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

We've discussed this flag thing several times on this board and I generally defend the flag because there are 2 very different ways it's perceived. The people I know who actually use it in some fashion (chubby redneck girls in rebel flag bikinis are especially nice) do so with the southern pride thing in mind, & don't mean to be insensitive or provoking. They get defensive about it.

That said, it IS provoking to some people and I think it's ridiculous to try to make a stand on southern pride in freakin' New Jersey. It's not like it's a good cause that's helping people & needs raised awareness, like anti-bullying or gay pride in high school or whatever. So you're southern. Be proud of that. No need to walk around in school with a bullseye on your forehead.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

couldn't she just call people 'sugar' and bring ice tea and home-made biscuits to school or something instead?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    We've discussed this flag thing several times on this board and I generally defend the flag because there are 2 very different ways it's perceived. The people I know who actually use it in some fashion (chubby redneck girls in rebel flag bikinis are especially nice) do so with the southern pride thing in mind, & don't mean to be insensitive or provoking. They get defensive about it.

My problem with these folks is the never partake in any other aspect of Southern culture except that damn battle flag. Do they read Southern lit or listen to Zydeco or Bluegrass or Gospel or Delta Blues? Hell no. All they want is that flag.

The South lost, people. Unless you want to try and secede again (please do), it means nothing.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    couldn't she just call people 'sugar' and bring ice tea and home-made biscuits to school or something instead?
    That would have been MUCH nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    My problem with these folks is the never partake in any other aspect of Southern culture except that damn battle flag. Do they read Southern lit or listen to Zydeco or Bluegrass or Gospel or Delta Blues? Hell no. All they want is that flag.

The South lost, people. Unless you want to try and secede again (please do), it means nothing.
    I have no idea why you think that (1st part) - the people I've seen who sport the flag are the most hardcore southern people around. Well, aside from reading southern lit... I'm not sure about that one...

And thank you for inviting us to leave the country. And for telling us that what we thought meant something actually does NOT. I can't imagine how that delusion managed to spread the way it did.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Hell, I'll be Southern if it involves non-stop food and tea.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Well, ouch. We're not all blithering bigot idiots.

Yes we are Laurent. Ignorant racist rebel flag t-shirt wearing morons who contribute nothing to the US.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post

And thank you for inviting us to leave the country. And for telling us that what we thought meant something actually does NOT. I can't imagine how that delusion managed to spread the way it did.
    That's me, too, btw. I'm talking from the inside, not outside.

I'm not inviting, it's a constant Southern refrain. Texas threatens to leave about every couple of years. They should just do it. I'm tired of the stale old posturing that is called pride. If Georgia is sick of lugging NYC around (though it gets more federal taxes out of the North East than it puts in) then go it alone. See how that works out.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I have a feeling her mom made her wear it so she could cause a scene.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

That's me, too, btw. I'm talking from the inside, not outside.

I'm not inviting, it's a constant Southern refrain. Texas threatens to leave about every couple of years. They should just do it. I'm tired of the stale old posturing that is called pride. If Georgia is sick of lugging NYC around (though it gets more federal taxes out of the North East than it puts in) then go it alone. See how that works out.
    Sounds like it would be easier for everyone if you would just leave the south, versus the south seceding...?

So some people squawk about seceding. Big deal. It's not like the entire population of a state agrees about it. Obviously you are cynical about southern pride but that doesn't make it meaningless for the rest of us.

I had an African American friend one time (we were both teenagers) buy a confederate flag shirt that said, "Just a good ol' boy" at the bottom. This was around the time that The Dukes of Hazard was popular.

Apparently, his parents saw him wearing it around the house the next day, for the first time. He told me that his father was furious and read him the riot act, up and down, about how the shirt was discrespectful to black people and symbolized an era where black people were property.

My friend was honestly mystified at first about why his dad was so pissed off. This took place in Maryland, by the way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information