Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Coffee Isn't Expensive Enough, Starbucks Wants You To Donate To Stop Unemployment

Default The Coffee Isn't Expensive Enough, Starbucks Wants You To Donate To Stop Unemployment

Starbucks pushes job growth program

Starbucks asks customers to give at least $5 to jobs growth program

This undated photo provided by Starbucks shows a wristband that Starbucks is giving to customers who donate $5 or more to the Opportunity Finance Network, an organization that works with nearly 200 community development financial institutions nationwide that in turn, lend that money to entrepreneurs, small business and community groups that might not otherwise get funding. Starbucks says 100 percent of the donations will go to these loans that will help add jobs or stem job loss. (AP Photo/Starbucks)

Sarah Skidmore, AP Business Writer, On Monday October 3, 2011, 7:11 am EDT
    PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Starbucks hopes customers will be willing to pay at least $5 more when they stop in for their morning cup of Joe.
    Starting Nov. 1, Starbucks will begin collecting donations of $5 or more from customers to stimulate U.S. job growth through its "Jobs for USA" program. The Seattle-based coffee chain is collaborating with the Opportunity Finance Network, a nonprofit that works with nearly 200 community development financial institutions to provide loans to small businesses and community groups. Starbucks says 100 percent of the donations will go toward loans for firms and organizations that can add jobs or stem job losses.
    Starbucks, which pioneered how Americans drink coffee, declined to estimate how much money it plans to raise, but millions of people visit its nearly 7,000 company-owned U.S. stores each day. Customers who give will get a red, white and blue wristband that says "Indivisible."
    "This is about using Starbuck's scale for good," said Howard Schultz, Starbucks Corp.'s CEO.
    The program is the latest effort by Schultz to address the nation's economic woes. In August, he sent more than 200,000 Starbucks employees a memo urging them to do what they can to help business thrive. Then, he asked fellow CEOs to stop contributing to political campaigns until the nation's leaders reached a long-term economic solution. After that, he hosted a national telephone forum, bought full-page ads in two major newspapers and started a website, Upwardspiral2011.org.
    Schultz said he feels personal responsibility to do something to stimulate the U.S. economy. Starbucks is hiring about 200 people a day in the U.S. as part of its efforts to remodel thousands of stores and add about 200 more locations in the next year. But Schultz said he wanted to do more.
    Starbucks is covering the operational costs to get loans out through the program, which will run indefinitely. Its charitable arm, The Starbucks Foundation, is giving $5 million to get the program started, with the hope that funds will be invested in communities within a month of a donation being made.
    Opportunity Finance Network works with 180 financial institutions -- banks, credit, unions, loan funds and venture capital funds -- that give loans in low-income communities that don't have easy access to credit. The organization, created 27 years ago, has invested $23.2 billion and generated nearly 300,000 jobs through 2009.
    Loans through the network have supported everything from charter schools to grocery stores nationwide. The organization found that, even during the recession, more than 98 percent of the money loaned out has been repaid, which is in line with traditional lenders.
    Through the program, businesses will apply to financial institutions, which along with the Opportunity Finance Network will assess their potential for adding jobs. Preference will be given to applicants who can add jobs within six months. An outside organization will audit the program within a year.
    "We want to match up every person who has $5 to share with every person who can't spare $5," said Mark Pinsky, CEO of Opportunity Finance Network.
    The effort has the potential to be successful, say some experts. Community institutions succeed, they say, because they understand the needs in the areas they serve.
    "I think it's a really worthy effort," said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics. "In theory, this is a great idea and should have impact."
    Online: For more information, visit createjobsforusa.org or for information on Opportunity Finance Network and how to find a community development funding institution, visit opportunityfinance.net

Source: Starbucks pushes job growth program - Yahoo! Finance
    Seriously? Someone tell me this is a horrible joke. I can barely afford Starbucks as is and they really think Im going to donate $5 extra? And Im sure the ones who can afford to do such a thing would rather not help the 'peasants'.

Well, who knows, maybe they would like to help the peasants. Not everyone who's financially comfortable or wealthy are assholes.

But the important thing to question is how effective this program will be, will it really have an impact on employment numbers or is it just a marketing ploy to make Starbucks look like they care about America's dire joblessness right now? (yes, I'm cynical) Depends on how it's executed.

Silver Member

They probably do care, because if everyone who was unemployed had a job to go to, they would be buying more coffee before they went there.

Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    Seriously? Someone tell me this is a horrible joke. I can barely afford Starbucks as is and they really think Im going to donate $5 extra? And Im sure the ones who can afford to do such a thing would rather not help the 'peasants'.
    so if wal mart had this it would be ok but because it's starbucks it's evil?
    you don't have to donate. donate if you want. and it's stupid to think about it as being part of the price of your coffee. and since when does having 5 bucks to spare make you an oligarch that doesn't want to help the 'peasants'? seriously?
    how is this all that different from donating a few bucks and getting one of those yellow live strong bands?

lots of different companies have donation programmes and links to charity. it doesn't make them saints. doesn't make them monsters either. maybe they're in it for the tax breaks. but who gives a shit if the programme actually ends up helping?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hit By Ban Bus!

Starbucks is overpriced sludge in a cup. Anyone who spends this kind of money of coffee needs their head examined. Instead of begging from the customers why don't Starbucks just make a donation themselves?

^^
    and why didn't lance armstrong just donate all of his millions instead of asking people to give money for cancer reasearch?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by baked_tater View Post
    Starbucks is overpriced sludge in a cup. Anyone who spends this kind of money of coffee needs their head examined. Instead of begging from the customers why don't Starbucks just make a donation themselves?
    Why not do some research before making a statement like this? Have you looked to see what charitble donations Starbucks does make each year or what non-profits they support? They are not begging from customers. They are offering a way to help others in need if you are in the position to do so.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

At least they are making an effort. Maybe other business will join in now. They do have a lot of loyal customers and those customers go to their own workplaces. I can see how this could start a chain reaction.
    Last edited by McJag; October 4th, 2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: missing m
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by baked_tater View Post
    Cause logic =/= $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    so if wal mart had this it would be ok but because it's starbucks it's evil?
    you don't have to donate. donate if you want. and it's stupid to think about it as being part of the price of your coffee. and since when does having 5 bucks to spare make you an oligarch that doesn't want to help the 'peasants'? seriously?
    how is this all that different from donating a few bucks and getting one of those yellow live strong bands?

lots of different companies have donation programmes and links to charity. it doesn't make them saints. doesn't make them monsters either. maybe they're in it for the tax breaks. but who gives a shit if the programme actually ends up helping?
    Maybe Im jaded from seeing the job market but $5 is about equal to a cup of coffee there. Many people I know cant afford Starbucks or go there once in a blue moon. No one I know can spare that $5.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Why not do some research before making a statement like this? Have you looked to see what charitble donations Starbucks does make each year or what non-profits they support? They are not begging from customers. They are offering a way to help others in need if you are in the position to do so.
    Ill admit I havent. Ill also admit that again, maybe Im jaded but I dont care about the charities they gave to. I know this comment wasnt to me but their charitable contributions dont matter when theyre asking me for cash. Were not donating to charity, were donating to stop unemployment. Does that even make sense? To me it doesnt. I can see and appreciate the effort and especially appreciate them hiring people but I dont know, I just dont see this working.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    At least they are making an effort. Maybe other business will join in now. They do have a lot of loyal customers and those custoers go to their own workplaces. I can see how this could start a chain reaction.
    Let us hope, pray and dream. I dont see it happening but theres no harm in such things.

Unless you're buying one of the foofy coffee drinks, a cup of Starbucks coffee is nowhere near $5. Not around here, anyway.

Many people I know cant afford Starbucks or go there once in a blue moon. No one I know can spare that $5.
    then don't donate. no one is forcing you too. and trust me, there may be a crisis but there are still plenty of people out there with 5 bucks to spare. the world doesn't begin and end with people you know. so why do you even care that they set this up?

Were not donating to charity, were donating to stop unemployment. Does that even make sense? To me it doesnt. I can see and appreciate the effort and especially appreciate them hiring people but I dont know, I just dont see this working.
    There are actually a lot of strong arguments in favour of an empowerment and employment-based model of community development versus the charity model. You seem to be suggesting that "charity" is a worthy cause, while community-based microfinance isn't. But the latter can have enormous positive ripple effects, as it is based in concrete, focused action. The program in question here provides financing to individuals and small businesses who would otherwise be locked out of the economic mainstream and enables them to start their own businesses or projects within their communities, employing others in turn and very directly transforming that funding into growth and opportunities.

The charity model, on the other hand, is often unable to focus funding where it would be most effective, and seldom empowers service users to actually move beyond the charity and create their own success. It's interesting that many people have the perception that conventional "charities" are more deserving of support than non-profits who are simply trying to do interesting work on the ground. From a community development standpoint, I see it as the difference between giving someone a loaf of bread versus teaching them about food security and nutrition and how to bake their own bread. Handing out a free meal versus helping someone to start their own restaurant.

Now, I'm not saying it need be either/or; I think in today's world it needs to be both/and. As long as there are people starving, there will be a need to give out bread. But I think it's exciting to see this model of support being given an arena. There are jars and coin slots on all kinds of shop counters for charities of all stripes, so why should adding this into the mix be offensive?

Instead of begging from the customers why don't Starbucks just make a donation themselves?
    From the article:

Starbucks is covering the operational costs to get loans out through the program, which will run indefinitely. Its charitable arm, The Starbucks Foundation, is giving $5 million to get the program started, with the hope that funds will be invested in communities within a month of a donation being made.
    Maybe Im jaded from seeing the job market but $5 is about equal to a cup of coffee there.
    A regular cup of coffee at Starbucks is about a buck fifty.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Facts and logic be damned for some. It shouldn't shock me but it still does.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Unless you're buying one of the foofy coffee drinks, a cup of Starbucks coffee is nowhere near $5. Not around here, anyway.
    That would explain alot, I only drink the foofy coffee drinks. I tried the coffee, its horrible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information