Thread: HIV could be reduced to a "minor chronic infection" akin to herpes, scientists claim

fgg

Default HIV could be reduced to a "minor chronic infection" akin to herpes, scientists claim

Vaccine could reduce HIV to 'minor infection'
    HIV could be reduced to a "minor chronic infection" akin to herpes, scientists developing a new vaccine have claimed.

Spanish researchers found that 22 of 24 healthy people (92 per cent) developed an immune response to HIV after being given their MVA-B vaccine.

Professor Mariano Esteban, head researcher on the project at the National Biotech Centre in Madrid, said of the jab: "It is like showing a picture of the HIV so that it is able to recognise it if it sees it again in the future."

The injection contains four HIV genes which stimulate T and B lymphocytes, which are types of white blood cells.

Prof Esteban explained: "Our body is full of lymphocytes, each of them programmed to fight against a different pathogen.

"Training is needed when it involves a pathogen, like the HIV one, which cannot be naturally defeated".

B cells produce antibodies which attack viruses before they infect cells, while T cells detect and destroy infected cells.

The study showed that almost three-quarters of participants had developed HIV-specific antibodies 11 months after vaccination.Over a third developed one type of T cell that fights HIV, called CD4+, while over two-thirds developed another, called CD8+.

Overall, 92 per cent developed some sort of immune response. However, that is not the same thing as being protected from HIV infection: the response could be inadequate to provide protection.

Prof Esteban acknowledged the vaccine was at an early stage, describing it as "promising".

The next step is to test it in people with HIV to see if it works as a "therapeutic" - reducing the viral count.

The researcher was optimistic, saying: "MVA-B vaccine has proven to be as powerful as any other vaccine currently being studied, or even more.

"If this genetic cocktail passes Phase II and Phase III future clinic trials, and makes it into production, in the future HIV could be compared to herpes virus nowadays."

By that he meant HIV could become a "minor chronic infection" that only resulted in disease when the immune system was otherwise compromised.

Other vaccines are in development. One, called the HIV-v vaccine, developed by British researchers, resulted in a 90 per cent reduction in viral count in HIV-infected people. Most trials so far have been small scale.

There have also been many false dawns with prospective HIV vaccines.

Jason Warriner, clinical director for the Terrence Higgins Trust, described the Spanish project as "a step in the right direction".

Vaccine could reduce HIV to 'minor infection' - Telegraph
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Elite Member

That would be great. My FIL died of aids and I wouldn't wish that end on anyone. The Plague of the 20th Century.

A*O

I'm certain that it's only a matter of time (probably a short time) before a reliable vaccine is developed. The pharma companies must have wet panties at the prospect. If that happens my concern would be that people would no longer think that safe sex is necessary so the incidence of STDs and unwanted pregnancies will skyrocket. People are still very, very dumb and complacent when it comes to the clap and how babies are made.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Sounds nice but I don't think it will ever work. HIV mutates too fast. Look how fast the flu mutates. From what I've read and what I learned in micro HIV mutates way to fast and every time a vaccine looks promising the virus mutates again! The only protection would be the human with mutated cells whose "lock" does not fit HIV's "key". Someday I hope to work with the deadlest diseases out there. For now I'm happy in my lab seeing body parts come through!!!!!

Thread Information