Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina Sued Over ‘Choose Life’ License Plates

Default North Carolina Sued Over ‘Choose Life’ License Plates

North Carolina has become the latest state to issue "Choose Life" license plates — and the ACLU is suing to stop them.

According to the Raleigh News & Observer, the plates will cost $25, with $15 going to the Carolina Pregnancy Care Fellowship, which "exists to offer help and encouragement to those God calls into pregnancy care ministry" and which operates crisis pregnancy centers throughout the state.

Attempts to introduce alternative plates that read "Respect Choice" or "Trust Women. Respect Choice" failed to gain traction with the Republican-controlled North Carolina legislature. So the ACLU is suing on behalf of a group of "pro-choice automobile owners" who say the state is preferentially endorsing one viewpoint. Katherine Lewis Parker, legal director of the ACLU's North Carolina branch, explains,
    The state is opening up a forum to one side of the argument. When they do that, they are constitutionally obligated to open to the other side.
    She adds that "this is a free speech case — not an abortion case," and that the ACLU would be equally likely to challenge a state that produced only pro-choice plates. But state Rep. Mitch Gillespie, the plates' Republican sponsor, has another take — he says the suit is merely an effort by "an evil liberal organization to try to appease its liberal base." He also says he thinks it will fail. He could be right — "Choose Life" plates have been adopted in other states (like Mississippi). However, in New Jersey, that's the result of an anti-abortion organization wearing down the state DMV until it finally gave in to save legal fees. If the ACLU is more persistent, perhaps they can convince the courts that the state Division of Motor Vehicles shouldn't get a vote on abortion rights.

North Carolina Sued Over 'Choose Life' License Plates
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Can't the govt stay out of anything?

How stupid are these elected officials? You can't approve one side and deny the other.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I am all for abortion and think a Planned Parenthood should be on every corner... I also agree both sides should be represented, but I would never put any pro-abortion stickers or license plates on my car...Who knows what some of those whacked out fuckers would do to me or my car.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Stupid people. I hope their license plate rams into their head when they crash!!!

Or a lighter note, I do believe these politicians are that stupid, Sluce. Arrogant and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I am all for abortion and think a Planned Parenthood should be on every corner... I also agree both sides should be represented, but I would never put any pro-abortion stickers or license plates on my car...Who knows what some of those whacked out fuckers would do to me or my car.
    Do you call yourself Pro-abortion or pro-choice?
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Pro-Choice. Or do whatever the fuck you want to do with your own body...
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

I don't see the point in having anything abortion-related on a fucking license plate in the first place. It's a fucking license plate. I don't even like the ones that represent children's funds or whatever. Why the hell should that shit be on a license plate? Who ever looks at someone's license plate and thinks, "oh wow, I totally didn't care about children receiving medical care before, but thanks to this LICENSE PLATE I'm going to start donating money and stuff!!!!!"

But as to the actual issue, yeah, support both sides or fuck off and don't support anything. It's all just so, so stupid...
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

I just gave myself an abortion with a "choose life" license plate!!!

Now i can get back to my whoring and partying!!! Woot!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen View Post
    I don't see the point in having anything abortion-related on a fucking license plate in the first place. It's a fucking license plate. I don't even like the ones that represent children's funds or whatever. Why the hell should that shit be on a license plate? Who ever looks at someone's license plate and thinks, "oh wow, I totally didn't care about children receiving medical care before, but thanks to this LICENSE PLATE I'm going to start donating money and stuff!!!!!"

But as to the actual issue, yeah, support both sides or fuck off and don't support anything. It's all just so, so stupid...

I have an "animal friendly" licence plate. The extra fee that I pay to have it goes to the ASPCA or some group that helps animals (I can't remember for sure which one, & I'm too lazy to ck right now).

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    I have an "animal friendly" licence plate. The extra fee that I pay to have it goes to the ASPCA or some group that helps animals (I can't remember for sure which one, & I'm too lazy to ck right now).
    I have this too, in fact so does my husband. The money raised goes to low-cost spay/neuter prgrams.

So long as its not hate groups, any charity should be eligible for the license plates program, but you can't allow one side and deny the other.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Aww, I want an animal rights license plate if the fee will go to a good cause for animals! I love how pretty much everybody is okay with spaying/neutering pets because it keeps the stray and shelter populations lower, but so many people are against abortions/contraception for humans because somehow we need to produce as many fucking humans as possible all of the time forever. But I guess logic has no place in this discussion, huh?

(I wonder if I could get a license plate with a coat hanger on it that says IT'S COMIN' OUT ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!)
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

spaying/neutering a pet is different then giving an animal an abortion. the comparison to humans would be getting sterilized, which i am all for in many circumstances anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    spaying/neutering a pet is different then giving an animal an abortion. the comparison to humans would be getting sterilized, which i am all for in many circumstances anyway!
    I believe in pet abortions too.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information