Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obese Mother Accidentally Kills Unborn Child After Gastric Bypass

Default Obese Mother Accidentally Kills Unborn Child After Gastric Bypass

Obese mother ‘killed unborn daughter after gastric bypass starved her of nutrition in the womb’

• Mother-of-one did not know she was four weeks pregnant when she had gastric operation

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 2:02 PM on 22nd September 2011

Size 8: Holly says she paid the ultimate price for losing weight

A mother has revealed how her gastric bypass killed her unborn baby by starving it of nutrition in the womb.

Holly Emms, 25, underwent stomach surgery on the NHS after doctors warned that her 18 stone frame was damaging her health.

However, she didn't realise that she was in the early stages of pregnancy at the time and her weight plummeted by nine stone in just four months following the operation.
    Her unborn baby daughter Juli was slowly starving in her womb and was born 15 weeks premature, weighing only 1.9lbs and was too weak to survive.
    Ms Emms now weighs less than nine stone and wears a dress size 8.

She said: 'I heard her cry when she was born, which was wonderful, but then she was taken away and put in a incubator. She was so tiny and perfect, like an angel.

'When the doctors told me they would have to turn her life-support machine off they let me hold her.

'I held my little girl and she died in my arms. I was devastated with grief.

'The doctors told me Juli had died because of my extreme weight loss during pregnancy, it was a terrible thing to hear and something I have to live with.

'I believe that all women should be given pregnancy tests before any operation and I want to warn women to do it themselves.'
    Holly, who also has a seven year-old daughter Tammi, ballooned to 18 stone and a dress size 18 after years of overeating.
    She was on the combined oral contraceptive pill and had no plans to try for another child when she was advised to go for the weight-loss operation on the NHS.
    Doctors operated on Holly at Charing Cross Hospital without knowing she was four weeks pregnant.

Astonishingly, her baby survived the operation despite Holly going under general anaesthetic and key-hole surgery to divide her stomach in two.

After six weeks Holly became concerned when she was still unable to eat anything properly and was being sick up to eight times a day.
    More...

She had already lost three stone by the time she went to hospital for tests and doctors discovered she was 10 weeks pregnant.

The recruitment consultant was readmitted into hospital in January and hooked up to a feeding tube.
    Doctors warned that she was not taking in the right vital nutrients for the growth of a healthy baby but she was too weak for the operation to be reversed.

Before the operation: Holly Emms, pictured in 2009, did not realise she was in the early stages of pregnancy

Holly spent the next few months in and out of hospital and her weight continued to plummet until she had lost nine stone in four months.

Following a difficult labour, Holly gave birth at 25 weeks to baby Juli at Chelsea and West Middlesex Hospital on May 13.

But little Juli weighed only 1.9lbs and was so weak doctors were forced to turn her ventilator off and she died two days later.Holly, from Uxbridge, Middlesex, said she was so grief-stricken she has only now been able to speak publicly about her loss.

But she wants to call for all women who undergo gastric surgery to have a pregnancy test beforehand.

'I am angry at the doctors and myself for not thinking of doing a pregnancy test,' she said.

'Nobody offered me one and I never thought of it.

'I wish with all my heart that I had because I wouldn't have gone ahead with the operation. There is always a chance, however small, that a woman could be pregnant.

'I still think about Juli all the time, I was heartbroken when she died and I must live with the guilt that my weight loss surgery killed her.

'My GP asked if I was on the pill but after that no doctors mentioned it. I was worried and all I could think about was the operation.

'They gave me lots of medicine before the operation and I was being sick a lot, it was a stressful time and I just didn't think about how my contraception was effected.'
    Dr Ian Campbell, GP and obesity expert, said it is likely baby Juli 'died from micro-nutrient deficiency'.

He said: 'This is an unusual situation. It is likely the baby died from micro-nutrient deficiency.

'It is imperative to ensure that someone is not pregnant before carrying out a procedure like this. But I can see why people can slip through the net.

Doctors at Charing Cross Hospital operated on Holly without knowing she was four weeks pregnant

'There is no formal guidance on how much weight a woman can lose during pregnancy, but I would advise that weight loss is not a good idea unless a doctor has told you to.

'The reason why this child might have suffered from malnutrition is that the diet after having a gastric band fitted is very low calorie and less vitamins.

'There is a distinct risk to the person who had the band of vitamin deficiency because they do not have the ability to get enough.

'I have never treated anyone who got pregnant after having a gastric band. But it is possible for the baby to be healthy if the pregnancy is carefully managed. I would advise taking vitamin supplements.'
    A spokeswoman from Imperial College Healthcare NHS, which runs Charing Cross Hospital, said patients who have a gastric bypass operation should avoid pregnancy for two years.

She said: 'Following a full explanation of the potential risks, female patients having a gastric bypass operation at our Trust sign a consent form agreeing to avoid pregnancy in the first two years following surgery.

'This is to minimise complications like maternal malnutrition, miscarriage and premature, or underweight, birth.'

Source: Gastric bypass: Holly Emms 'killed unborn daughter after surgery starved her of nutrition' | Mail Online
    This is horrible, no doubt about that, but how did no one know she was pregnant? Why did she not take a pregnancy test just to make sure? I dont blame the gastric bypass I blame her for not thinking of it.

she doesn't really look like she was fat enough for gastric bypass in the first place. she should have tried exercise and a proper diet first.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

But thaaats tooo haaard!
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    This is horrible, no doubt about that, but how did no one know she was pregnant? Why did she not take a pregnancy test just to make sure? I dont blame the gastric bypass I blame her for not thinking of it.
    Sure you don't blame the doctors? I do. I don't know the UK protocol, but in the US before they slice you open they take your blood and if you are a woman of child bearing years, a few drops of that blood will be tested to see if you're pregnant. The NHS doesn't do pre-op testing?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Oh I blame them. They should have been the ones to suggest a pregnancy test to begin with.

There is no formal guidance on how much weight a woman can lose during pregnancy, but I would advise that weight loss is not a good idea unless a doctor has told you to.
    I lost weight the first three months and I've barely have gained any back, according to my doctor we are doing just fine. Of course I didn't lose a big amount(15-ish pounds) but still.

Exactly how low calorie is the diet people are being put on after having this surgery?

I think the doctors definitely should have done a pregnancy test on her before the surgery, given her age.
    "I'm not allowed within 200 feet of a school. Or a Chuck-E-Cheese..." Alan - The Hangover

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Sure you don't blame the doctors? I do. I don't know the UK protocol, but in the US before they slice you open they take your blood and if you are a woman of child bearing years, a few drops of that blood will be tested to see if you're pregnant. The NHS doesn't do pre-op testing?
    This is what I'm wondering, I mean even if you're having a simple TEST done the first thing the lab techs ask you is if you're pregnant. They don't have the same precautions over there?
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

I wonder if maybe she was offered a pregnancy test but declined? I know the anesthesiologists and CRNAs for our surgery centers have to have the signed form to either consent to the pregnancy test or decline the test prior to surgeries. Something's definitely strange.

Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    This is what I'm wondering, I mean even if you're having a simple TEST done the first thing the lab techs ask you is if you're pregnant. They don't have the same precautions over there?
    They do. I remember when I was *12* they asked me if there was any possibility I could be pregnant before I had a certain test done! They apologized for having to ask me at such a young age lol.

Here in the States they blood test and as part of your preop, they do an abdominal ultrasound a few weeks before surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    I lost weight the first three months and I've barely have gained any back, according to my doctor we are doing just fine. Of course I didn't lose a big amount(15-ish pounds) but still.

Exactly how low calorie is the diet people are being put on after having this surgery?
    First 4 weeks or so you're intake is about 500 calories a day, mainly through protein shakes and at week 6 you start on pureed foods. 6 months or so in, you'd be eating about 1,000 calories a day, and basically most "normal" foods.

Is there proof that her fetus was "starved" to death? How do you explain anorexics who go through a pregnancy and delivery, or women who have had a gastric bypass in the past and then go on to become pregnant? I suspect she had an early fetal demise for who knows what reason, but not necessarily due to the surgery. And I agree, in the US it's pretty routine to screen for pregnancy in any female of childbearing age prior to any surgery.

ETA: I have to admit now I didn't read the whole original post, I just thought she had a miscarriage, I didn't notice she delivered the baby preterm...
    Last edited by Moongirl; September 22nd, 2011 at 10:53 PM.

My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Many GSB patients don't get dumping and when they do, quickly learn not to eat that food again.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    she doesn't really look like she was fat enough for gastric bypass in the first place. she should have tried exercise and a proper diet first.
    That's what I was thinking. She doesn't look like a candidate for bypass.

Exactly. My friend had a boob job last year and she couldn't pee. They told her either she pees so they can do a preg test or they would put her catheter in early (they do it normally after the anesthesia). She couldn't pee to save her life. They cathed her and she said it was the worse art of the surgery The nurse told her that by law all women of child bearing age must have a pregnancy test before surgery. Don't know if it's the US law or just California.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information