Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant African Snails Invade Miami Florida

Default Giant African Snails Invade Miami Florida

Maybe we could get the giant snails and the fire ants to fight each other?

Giant African Snails Invade Miami Florida
    Giant African Snails Invade Miami Florida - ABC News
    Workers from Florida’s Department of Agriculture are fighting a slimy and dangerous enemy: giant African land snails that have invaded a residential area in Miami-Dade County. “We have collected over a thousand so far and we have only just begun,” said Denise Feiber, Public Information Director for Florida’s Division of Plant Industry.
    Florida Department of Agriculture/Division of Plant Industry

Investigators aren’t sure when or how the invaders slithered into town, but they are on a mission to eradicate the snails as fast as possible. Giant African land snails can grow to be as long as 8 inches and consume at least 500 different types of plants. They also destroy stucco and plaster.
    “They leave excrement all over the sides of houses. They’re very nasty,” Feiber said. “These things are not the cute little snails that you see.”

They also pose a health risk by carrying a parasite that can cause meningitis in humans.

Officials realized they had a problem on their hands last week when two sisters flagged down a fruit fly inspector performing a routine check.

“A homeowner came out and said, I found these snails in my yard and she had one of them. He recognized it as potentially being a giant African land snail,” Feiber said.

Officials have been focusing on the one square mile area around the home in southwest Miami. They are only 30 to 40 percent done with their investigation and have already found 1,100 snails.

“We have gone back to some of these positive properties and cleaned up every one of these snails we have seen,” Feiber said. “We come back a few days later and we’re collecting more and more.”

The snails contain both male and female reproductive organs and typically lay 1,200 eggs a year.

Suzanne Howland lives in the affected area and told ABC Affiliate WPLG that the snails multiply “faster than rabbits.”

“It’s amazing, there were literally hundreds in my yard,” she told WPLG. “I saw them within a month and a half just take over my yard.”

Feiber said that they are investigating if the snails could have come from a smuggling incident that’s been under investigation since 2010.

In 2010, officials began investigating Charles Stewart, a man who practices the African religion Ifa Orisha, the Miami Herald reported. Stewart was accused of using the snails in his rituals and investigators claim an African woman brought them to him by sneaking the snails under her dresses on flights to Miami, the Miami Herald reported.

Floridians also battled the slimy mollusks in the late 1960s. A boy smuggled three snails on a flight and raised them as a pet. His grandmother grew tired of them and released them into her garden, Feber said.

“It took the state 10 years to eradicate and it was a million dollar eradication program and that was in the late 1960s, early 1970s,” Feiber said. “Eighteen thousand snails were collected.”

And more giant snail shots:

Inter-species love:

fgg

coming to a restaurant near you as the night's "special"...
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I was just going to ask how they are with drawn butter and a light breading.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    They also pose a health risk by carrying a parasite that can cause meningitis in humans.
    Fucking Monsters Inside Me, I will be haunted until the end of time by just one episode of that HORRIBLE show.

Ewwwww, so slimy gross things, there were slugs in Houston but damn the ones up here in Seattle get pretty damn big.

Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Holy shit

aww i think they're pretty cute.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Some people keep them as pets. They're very easy to care for.

Maybe someone had a couple as pets, and dumped them?

Wouldn't Spongebob love one of these?

Time-lapse snails:

[YOUTUBE]7huhtDBpMdQ[/YOUTUBE]

I'm a snail saver. They cover the sidewalks in the morning after the sprinklers go off or after a rain shower. I hate to see them crushed, so I pick them. And move them. These are a bit large, wow!

Awww, they're cute. No need to kill them, they should just send them back to Africa.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

No one noticed or reported those suckers until there were thousands of them in the neighborhood? Ewww.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

They're definitely interesting looking, but they have a lot of negatives:

1. They eat stucco and plaster. Florida is filled with houses with stucco exteriors.

2. They multiply at a very rapid rate. As one Floridian said, "they populate at an incredible rate - i mean exponentially is an understatement"

3. The meningitis thing. At least it appears to be a nonfatal version.

4. If you accidentally run over some migrating snails with your car, you are going to puncture your tires.

Well, as long as they don't come down to the Keys....
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

In Benedict Cumberbatch's Velvet Tuxedo, USA

eww
    “You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain.” - Tom Hiddleston

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information