Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gay soldier comes out to his dad live on Youtube

Default Gay soldier comes out to his dad live on Youtube

[YOUTUBE]DVAgz6iyK6A[/YOUTUBE]

For five months, Randy Phillips, 21-year-old soldier stationed at Ramstein Air Base Germany, and "100 percent closeted," anonymously chronicled his coming-out experience on YouTube.

For his first 16 videos, Phillips — aka AreYouSuprised, the pseudonym he used to launch for increasingly popular YouTube videos and Twitter feed — counted down the last days of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," the 17-year-old policy that did not permit gays to serve openly in the U.S. military. A natural storyteller sharing his journey, Phillips' story has attracted more than 98,000 subscribers on his YouTube channel, and more than 2 million video views.

The videos are filmed in a variety of settings — sometimes in front of a map, sometimes standing around what appears to be enormous military equipment — the camera is always focused from the neck down or just out of range of the young man's face. But in the 17th video — all that changes.

Posted on Tuesday — when DADT's repeal went into full effect — Phillips appears in the video sitting in an office chair in front of the now-familiar map, a good-looking kid with sandy blond hair pleasantly uncombed, looking straight at the camera and holding a cellphone. At this point everyone he serves with knows he's gay — just one more notification to make.There, live on tape, Phillips calls his dad in Alabama and tells him that he's gay.

Seconds drag as the young man waits for the connection to cross the globe, for his father to answer the phone, and finally for his father to respond to what the son, who he hasn't seen in a year, just told him.

"I don’t know when’s the next time I would be able to see you. I didn’t want to do it over the phone. I wanted to tell you in person, but uh … I didn't want you to find out in any other way," Phillips nervously rambles.

(In what feels like) three hours later, his Dad says: "OK."

It's compelling drama so painfully stretched out, the dad on speakerphone frustratingly muffled in static, it certainly feels real — but the Internet providing a rare insight on what it is to come out of the closet to the people you count on most. It's history. And with a huge sigh of relief to viewers, this coming-out story also has a happy ending, and as such, is currently featured on the homepage of the It Gets Better Project, the Internet video site where adults share hope with LGBT teens, a minority likely to be bullied by even the adults in their lives and suffer a disproportionately high suicide rate.

It's hard to hear exactly what Phillips' dad is saying, but certain words make it through the static —"doesn't change our relationship," "I will always be proud of you" and "I will always love you."
    Source
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

fgg

i saw this on the today show this morning. i hope it encourages others to do the same. (not the youtube part)
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I give the guy props for his balls on this one - and to dad too.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Bless that Dad. This just makes me teary. I could just hug them all.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I can't watch it here, but I bet the dad was like, well it's about time!

I saw it on The Today Show too and got weepy. I just love it that main stream media is covering this not like it is some shocking thing but that it is a human interest "feel good" story.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

yeah it def. took balls

good to see the dad was accepting and it changed nothing in their relationship
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Yay to him and yay to dad.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

tears up here

I saw it on Rachel Maddow, he asks his dad over and over if he loves him. It was sweet and endearing. Rachel's show last night was just so heartfelt and celebratory.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

While I've never understood the urge to make something private (like a wedding proposal) public, but I guess I applaud this if it positively influences others. We all have different comfort levels, I suppose.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

They played this on the radio this morning on the way to work. I got all teared up. What a wonderful dad.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    While I've never understood the urge to make something private (like a wedding proposal) public, but I guess I applaud this if it positively influences others. We all have different comfort levels, I suppose.
    The soldier has been keeping an anonymous blog over on Towleroad dealing with the repeal of DADT. He has been doing it for the "It Gets Better" project. He came out to his fellow servicemen and they have been supportive. I think he just wants gay teenagers to know that even a soldier can be accepted for who they are.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

^ Yeah I read about his other blogs too! I loved this video. I especially loved when the soldier asks his Dad to tell his Mom and the Dad just laughs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Aw this just made me get all choked up and teary It warms the cockles of my black heart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information