Thread: Officials say majority of residents in Joplin, MO ignored tornado warning

Default Officials say majority of residents in Joplin, MO ignored tornado warning

Report: Most Joplin residents ignored 1st twister siren - Weather - msnbc.com

KANSAS CITY, Mo.* "The vast majority of Joplin residents" did not respond to the first siren warning of the May 22 twister that killed 162 people because of a widespread disregard for tornado sirens, federal officials concluded in a report issued Tuesday.

"This was a warned event," Kathryn Sullivan, deputy director of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, told reporters, noting that several days before forecasters were warning of a strong possibility of twisters.
    Officials didn't blame residents, many of whom complained that sirens often go off in Joplin for tests or even just when dark clouds form, and suggested that a "non-routine warning mechanism" be developed to make it clear when a siren should be taken seriously.
    Keith Stammer, who heads the local county's emergency management agency, said the department issued two sets of sirens ahead of the tornado and that many people ignored the first siren.
    Some people thought a second siren was an all-clear signal, which it wasn't, he said. Stammer said he has never issued an "all-clear" during his 18 years in the department.
    "Honestly it was a bit of a disappointment that there were so many people who didn't move to shelter after the first warning," Stammer said. "The human side is the part that's most frustrating."
    The nation's deadliest single tornado in six decades also damaged thousands of homes and injured hundreds of people.
    The report was prepared by a team from the National Weather Service, a department under NOAA, that interviewed some 100 people in Joplin.
    The team examined warning and forecast services before the EF-5 tornado cut through the southwest Missouri city of about 50,000 residents.
    The team also reviewed the public's response to warning communications. NOAA said the team's goal was to identify what was done correctly and areas that could be improved.
    Cleanup, recovery and rebuilding have been under way in Joplin since the tornado hit. Four schools were destroyed and six other district buildings were damaged. Entire neighborhoods were leveled, as was much of the city's main commercial district.
    Preventing a similar tragedy remains a top concern. At a community meeting in August arranged by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, residents called for more community storm shelters in schools and other public buildings, as well as an improved storm warning system.
    Doug Doll, regional president for Arvest Bank, said Monday he felt the warning systems in Joplin were adequate but that they could possibly be improved.
    "About the only thing we can do to make it better is to add more sirens in strategic locations throughout the community that can be heard by everybody," he said.
    Doll also recommended developing a way to alert major employers and let them know if a storm is coming. He said bank employees typically head to the vault in the event of a tornado warning. But the recent Joplin tornado hit on a Sunday when the bank was not staffed.

I guess that's the drawback of the 'sky is falling' approach to news/information. They sound the alarm for everything so who's to know when it's serious.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

It is. I worry about our area. We get a lot of warnings, some tornados but more warnings by far.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

In a really tornado prone area, you pretty much have to ignore the watches, because otherwise you could spend the entire spring huddled in a shelter. It's easy to get jaded to the warnings too. I don't think anyone pays attention unless it's announced that the tornado is heading directly for you. I know I don't, and I've been in buildings that took a direct hit twice in my life.

As big as the Joplin tornado was, and the way it struck the city dead on, I don't think they could have avoided fatalities, even if everyone had paid perfect attention.

A*O

They have to issue warnings to protect themselves from lawsuits. Natural disasters are no longer random acts of God, they are the Govmint's fault. And if you stay put despite warnings and your house is destroyed it probably means your insurance is void too and the insurance companies love that.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I guess that's the drawback of the 'sky is falling' approach to news/information. They sound the alarm for everything so who's to know when it's serious.
    Do you live in Louisville too? That is how the fear mongers do it down here. They hype up every goddang raindrop until you just ignore the blowhards and take your chances. I post about it all the time on the news channel's Facebook pages, about how they fear monger to pay off their doppler ten thousand shit.

It is a shame the news people do this. I have had them cut into shows for three hours straight and it isn't even bad.

They do it here in the Midwest too. Watches and warnings for everything. Oh, and they sound that siren in my town everyday at noon. I guess to let everyone know...it's noon. So when should I know to take it seriously? If it goes off and it's not noon?
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Elite Member

They do it in Indianapolis too. If there is a bad storm rolling through, the sirens go off, the local channels go to continuous weather watching, and the EBS interrupts cable shows with NWS alerts. My theory is, is that if the weather person can stand outside and report the weather, and they aren't getting blown away, or pelted with golf ball sized hail, then things aren't that bad.

We don't get a lot of fear mongering in Montana. We just go about bidness.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Most tornados happen so fast you can't get a warning out quick enough. That is what happened to my town a few years ago. Just came through so quick. Everyone was caught off guard and had no idea.

Thread Information