Thread: Bystanders lift flaming car to save man

Default Bystanders lift flaming car to save man

[YOUTUBE]Raw Video: Burning Car Lifted Off Trapped Man - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Raw Video: Burning Car Lifted Off Trapped Man - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

In this video, witnesses to a car-motorcycle crash quickly self-organize to lift a flaming car off the trapped motorcyclist. In addition to being an inspiring, life-affirming clip, it's also a fascinating study in collective action. Generally, people are less likely to take action in an emergency when others are around (each person assumes someone else is better qualified to help), but you can see this effect being quickly overcome as some people join the effort, luring others, despite the flames and danger.

On a stretch of road by the crest of a hill in Logan, Utah, on Monday, a motorcycle and a BMW collided, throwing the cyclist under the car and causing the bike to burst into flames, which quickly spread to the sedan. Rather than fleeing those two flaming vehicles, a dozen bystanders rushed toward the blaze, lifted the car and pulled the injured man out by his ankle.
    Source

eta: Grrr, why can't I embed anymore?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

That was on the News,too. Just awesome! I cannot believe he actually lived.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

[YOUTUBE]aIGTyANMFb4[/YOUTUBE]

The recent board update has made the 'embed html' out of date. Now we only need to copy and paste the the random code of letters and numbers that are unique to each YouTube vid - in this case: aIGTyANMFb4.

Cool vid. Assumed the guy was dead, from the way his rescuers simply moved on after getting him clear of the fire. His unconcious body, just laying there; "saved by the village people".
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    The recent board update has made the 'embed html' out of date. Now we only need to copy and paste the the random code of letters and numbers that are unique to each YouTube vid - in this case: aIGTyANMFb4.
    Thanks, Kat! I actually just figured that out using my l337 mod skillz in another thread ("editing" someone's post who'd gotten it to work such that I could see their code, muahahaha!), and was coming back here to edit my post, hehe. Do you have to find this code yourself or is there a Youtube function that displays it for you?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

This morning, HLN had a clip of the motorcycle guy at a press conference. He was pretty banged up (burn on one leg, and I think a broken bone). No head injuries - which is amazing because he wasn't wearing a helmet. He was very, very thankful to the people who saved him, and especially to the rescuer who was with him, talking to him, to keep him conscious.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    This morning, HLN had a clip of the motorcycle guy at a press conference. He was pretty banged up (burn on one leg, and I think a broken bone). No head injuries - which is amazing because he wasn't wearing a helmet. He was very, very thankful to the people who saved him, and especially to the rescuer who was with him, talking to him, to keep him conscious.
    Not just one broken leg-
    Despite not wearing a helmet, Riggs said, Wright had suffered no head trauma. Wright does have two broken legs, a broken pelvis, road rash, burns on his left foot and abrasions to his forehead. The hospital said Wright was in satisfactory condition. AP
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Luckily he is alive! What I don't understand , after watching this clip, is why no one attended to him until paramedics arrived? Cops pushed everyone away, stood around and extingusished the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post
    Luckily he is alive! What I don't understand , after watching this clip, is why no one attended to him until paramedics arrived? Cops pushed everyone away, stood around and extingusished the fire.
    They made everyone get back until they were sure the car wouldn't explode. Even the paramedics had to wait a bit.

That was great to see everyone come together and help. But what's the deal with the dude in the suit who did nothing but gawk? C'mon, man, there's a life at stake!
    Is it Happy Hour yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Thanks, Kat! I actually just figured that out using my l337 mod skillz in another thread ("editing" someone's post who'd gotten it to work such that I could see their code, muahahaha!), and was coming back here to edit my post, hehe. Do you have to find this code yourself or is there a Youtube function that displays it for you?
    Nah, I think we just have to guess. I go to the browser address and highlight the area between v= and &feature, copy and paste. There's probably a better way of doing it, but I'm too lazy to look for it
    Tiene razon, y gracias por su opinion. Now go fuck yourself.

Thread Information