Thread: Government goes after financial firms over mortgage losses

fgg

Default Government goes after financial firms over mortgage losses

Government goes after financial firms over mortgage losses

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The federal agency overseeing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac filed lawsuits Friday against 17 financial institutions in an attempt to recover billions of dollars in losses from risky mortgage investments.

The lawsuits were filed against many of the nation's largest Wall Street and financial firms, including Bank of America, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan Chase. (See full list at end of story.)

In the complaints, the Federal Housing Finance Agency contends the institutions misrepresented the quality of the investments' underlying loans.

"Based on our review, FHFA alleges that the loans had different and more risky characteristics than the descriptions contained in the marketing and sales materials," the agency said in a press release.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac bought more than $196 billion of these residential mortgage-backed securities from the named financial institutions in the middle of the last decade, according to the suits.

These bundles of home loans were hot investments during the housing boom, helping fuel the proliferation of mortgage lending and run up in home prices. But when the market crashed and homeowners defaulted in droves, the securities plummeted in value.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which were among the biggest purchasers of these securities, also got caught in the downdraft.

Bank of America countered that Fannie and Freddie said they understood the risks inherent in investing in subprime securities. And Bank of America said that the companies continued to add to their holdings even after their regulator told them they didn't have the needed risk management.

"Despite this, the [companies] are now seeking to hold other market participants responsible for their losses," Bank of America said in a statement.

Other financial institutions could not immediately be reached for comment.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which were taken into conservatorship by the federal government during the 2008 financial crisis, are the largest sources of funding for the U.S. housing market.

They buy mortgages from lenders and either hold them on their books or bundle them into securities. The companies also have bought mortgage-backed securities issued by other institutions.

The agency, which says it is charged with protecting the mortgage finance companies' assets on behalf of taxpayers, is seeking damages and penalties. The exact extent of the damages will be determined in court, according to the lawsuits.

The legal action could be "a very big deal" because it casts doubts on the quality of the mortgage securities sold to all investors, not just Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, said Guy D. Cecala, chief executive of Inside Mortgage Finance, an industry publication.

"FHFA is effectively questioning whether most of the mortgage securities packaged and sold during the go-go years of the mortgage market violated securities law," he said.

The complaints were filed against the following institutions: Ally Financial; Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500); Barclays Bank (BCS); Citigroup (C, Fortune 500); Countrywide Financial; Credit Suisse Holdings (CS); Deutsche Bank (DB); First Horizon National (FHN); General Electric (GE, Fortune 500); Goldman Sachs (GS, Fortune 500); HSBC North America; JPMorgan Chase (JPM, Fortune 500); Merrill Lynch/First Franklin Financial; Morgan Stanley (MS, Fortune 500); Nomura Holding America; Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS); Societe Generale.

Government goes after financial firms for mortgage losses - Sep. 2, 2011
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

This is just one greedy financial institution suing another greedy financial institution. Fanny Mae/Freddy Mac knew exactly what was going on.

Yeah, I'm sure this will really amount to something.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Attorneys' fees!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Thread Information