Thread: German city of Bonn taxes prostitutes with meter

Default German city of Bonn taxes prostitutes with meter

31 August 2011 Last updated at 12:09 GMT

German city of Bonn taxes prostitutes with meter

The prostitution meter is said to be the first of its kind
    The German city of Bonn has installed a meter to tax prostitutes for soliciting on its streets at a rate of six euros (5.30; $8.70) per night.
    Those who fail to pay face fines or even a ban, and 264 euros were found in the meter when it was first emptied, according to AFP news agency.
    Tax has been levied on prostitutes elsewhere but Bonn is the first city to use a meter, a spokeswoman said.
    But a prostitutes' rights activist said the scheme amounted to double taxation.
    Prostitutes are expected to pay the flat rate, regardless of earnings.
    The machine, which looks like an ordinary parking meter, has been installed in an industrial area near the city centre which favoured by prostitutes and their clients.

'Consummation areas'

Isabelle Klotz, a spokeswoman for the city, said they expected to get about 200,000 euros per year from the meter.

The "consummation areas" are wooden cubicles designed to screen cars
    "Women who work in brothels also pay the tax but until now it had been difficult to get women on the street to pay," she added.
    "Thanks to this new method we will be able to tax them in all fairness with the others."
    There are believed to be about 200 prostitutes in Bonn.
    Juanita Rosina Henning, from the Dona Carmen prostitute support group, demanded the meter's removal, saying prostitutes already paid income tax.
    "This has nothing to do with fiscal equality," she said.
    City officials have restricted the prostitutes' areas of operation to specific quarters but critics say this has made it easier for prostitutes to ply their trade, Reuters news agency reports.
    Bonn has also erected "consummation areas", or wooden garages clients may use to visit prostitutes.

BBC News - German city of Bonn taxes prostitutes with meter
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Heeheeheee at the Siemens brand of the machine.

So I don't get it, is it really equal to the brothel workers' taxation or is it double taxing them because they work on the street? Besides, how does it work and how do the authorities know who's paid their nightly fee? Do the prosties get a receipt that they have to keep for their tax files? And wtf is up with those creepy wooden "consummation crates?" Do people really use those? So many questions.

^^
    i hadn't noticed the 'siemens' bit.

i think the rate is probably equal to what they would pay if they were working in a brothel. or maybe even less since street prostitutes probably make less than the ones in brothels.

the wooden 'consummation areas' basically hide the car from view, but they're still doing it in the car. they're like walled parking spaces i guess.

i'm guessing they'll know who paid because prostitutes usually work in specific areas of town where the meters are, and i'm sure police patrol that are and will probably ask the women for their ticket, and if they don't have it, they'll get a fine?

i'm guessing brothel prosties don't work the streets so there's no risk of double taxation.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I wish they wouldn't call it a tax then there would be no double taxation issue. In Houston there is (still?) SOB licensing. Maybe there should be fee restricted access to the ummmm consummation booths?
    Posted from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Heeheeheee at the Siemens brand of the machine.

So I don't get it, is it really equal to the brothel workers' taxation or is it double taxing them because they work on the street? Besides, how does it work and how do the authorities know who's paid their nightly fee? Do the prosties get a receipt that they have to keep for their tax files? And wtf is up with those creepy wooden "consummation crates?" Do people really use those? So many questions.
    On a German website they say the prostitutes need to have a receipt with them, otherwise they get a monetary or even a sending-off.
    And concerning the "consummation crates": as far as I understood they built these boxes because of protests from the local residents from this area. The prostitutes get a ticket (don't know if that costs extra) and park their cars in these boxes and... do their business.
    -

Gotta pay to park your dick in someone. Love it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information