Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Elmhurst College to Ask About Sexual Orientation

fgg

Default Elmhurst College to Ask About Sexual Orientation

Elmhurst College to Ask About Sexual Orientation

A "yes" answer could put students in line to qualify for a scholarship

Elmhurst College put a question on its admissions application that won’t appear on any other school's application.

"Would you consider yourself to be a member of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered) community?”

That optional question makes Elmhurst the first school in the country to ask applicants about their sexual orientation or gender identity, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

Gary Rold, the dean of students at Elmhurst, stressed the question falls in line with the campus’ mission statement to increase diversity.

Prospective freshmen and transfer students applying for the 2012 fall semester will become the first group of applicants to check “yes,” “no” or “prefer not to answer.” Their answers will not play a role in the admissions process.

A “yes” answer could put students in line to qualify for a scholarship worth one-third of tuition at the private, liberal arts school affiliated with the United Church of Christ, said Rold.

The college also plans to direct students to groups or resources to help them feel more comfortable on campus.

"We try really hard to take good care of students, have them graduate and be successful citizens in the world,” he said.

Source: College to Ask About Sexual Orientation | NBC Chicago
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I don't see how this differs significantly from questions about race. I don't really support those being asked either, because I do believe that plays a role in the admissions process. I mean, the article states this is part of their mission to increase diversity, so obviously the answer to this question *is* being taken into consideration. I freely admit that my views may be skewed due to never experiencing discrimination growing up as white, upper middle class, private school girl, but I think admissions should be merit-based only. I apologize if this comes off as ignorant.

I work for a state university's foundation, I could no more write a scholarship for a donor based on sexuality than I could write one for race or nationality - it's against federal law. I guess private universities are different.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

When I saw Elmhurst school, I thought if an entirely different establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I work for a state university's foundation, I could no more write a scholarship for a donor based on sexuality than I could write one for race or nationality - it's against federal law. I guess private universities are different.
    But there's all sorts of scholarships based on race. Hispanic National Merit Scholarship, for one, where the recipients must be of hispanic origin. (Something like at least 1/4 hispanic, iirc because one of my "white" friends got it too because one of her parents was half hispanic.)

Those aren't awarded by a state university. They may be awarded by the organization itself, but for a donor to give us money to create a scholarship, you cannot use those types of preferences.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll

Ah, yes, figured it must be something like that.

No worries, believe me it is not an easy conversation to explain to some rich old biddie that she's an insufferable bigot and no, not only do we not want her religion/race restricted funds but we cannot take them with her conditions.

Even as a straight, white, middle class male, I would have checked yes to every single question they asked if they indicated to me that a possible scholarship was attached. I would have self identified as a gay, irish, protestant, scottish, appalachian asian if I thought it would get me some money for school. I mean, on the gay part, how are they going to prove that you are gay...I mean depending on the amount of the scholarship I could be convinced to suck a dick for show.

My daughters ex-boyfriend is Native American and he got a full ride to college.

Thread Information