Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Bomb rocks government offices in Oslo, Norway: two said dead

Default Bomb rocks government offices in Oslo, Norway: two said dead

Bomb rocks government offices in Oslo, two said dead - Yahoo! News

OSLO, Norway (Reuters) - A massive bomb shattered Norway's main government building in Oslo Friday, killing two people police were quoted as saying by local news agency NTB.
    There was no claim of responsibility, though NATO member Norway has been the target of threats, if not bombs, before, notably over its involvement in conflicts in Afghanistan and Libya. Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg was safe, NTB said.
    NRK radio said at least two people were killed in an attack that may have brought global political violence to the quiet Scandinavian city.
    "It exploded -- it must have been a bomb. People ran in panic and ran. I counted at least 10 injured people," said bystander Kjersti Vedun, who was leaving the area.
    A Reuters reporter at the scene said the blast scattered debris across the streets and shook the entire city center around 3:30 p.m. (9:30 a.m. EDT). He saw eight people injured, one covered in a sheet and apparently dead.
    "So far I can confirm that we have received seven people at Oslo University Hospital," a press officer at the clinic said.
    "I don't know how seriously wounded they are."
    The explosion blew out most of the windows of the 17-storey central government building, cast a huge pall of smoke over the city and scattered shards of metal and other debris for hundreds of meters.
    Nearby ministries were also hit, including the oil ministry, which was on fire. Heavy debris littered the streets.
    John Drake, senior risk consultant, at London-based consultancy AKE said: "It may not be too dissimilar to the terrorist attack in Stockholm in December which saw a car bomb and secondary explosion shortly after in the downtown area.
    "That attack was later claimed as reprisal for Sweden's contribution to the efforts in Afghanistan."
    The Reuters correspondent said the streets had been fairly quiet in mid-afternoon on a Friday in high summer, when many Oslo residents take vacation or leave for weekend breaks.
    The tangled wreckage of a car was outside one building, as well as the damage to the buildings, appeared consistent to witnesses with that from car bombs.

THREATS

NATO member Norway has sometimes in the past been threatened by leaders of al Qaeda for its involvement in Afghanistan. But political violence is virtually unknown in a country known for sponsoring the Nobel Peace Prize and mediating in international conflicts, including in the Middle East and Sri Lanka.
    It has also taken part the NATO bombing of Libya, where Muammar Gaddafi has threatened to strike back in Europe.
    David Lea, Western Europe analyst, at Control Risks said: "There certainly aren't any domestic Norwegian terrorist groups although there have been some al Qaeda-linked arrests from time to time. They are in Afghanistan and were involved in Libya, but it's far too soon to draw any conclusions."

Norway ? Who the hell hates Norway ?
    sharp as Angie's square jaw

Apparently it has to do with their involvement in Afghanistan....story still developing...
    The prime minister came on, but didn't answer a lot of the questions due to still
    trying to get all the facts straight.

This is totally unexpected! Poor people.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

In a separate attack, some asshole went and shot up a kid's camp. Mostly 16-17yo kids.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Its horrifying apparently the latest report is saying that the attacks on the kids - witnesses are saying around 20/30 are dead in the island. Theories suggests that its either Islamists or rightwing white supremists. The Guardian has a good live blog with the events.

Norway attacks - live coverage | World news | guardian.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    In a separate attack, some asshole went and shot up a kid's camp. Mostly 16-17yo kids.

Now officials say that the two are related and they arrested the shooter at the camp. Seven dead in the bombing. Fuckers.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

, the photo

Øyenvitne: - Så minst 30 drepte på Utøya | ABC Nyheter

30 teenager killed in a shooting ?

Jesus H, that's just awful, those poor people.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

the explosion in Oslo was heard in 20 km distance. It is amazing that 'only' 7 were killed.

From what I'm seeing, the same guy who set off the bomb traveled to the camp and shot the campers. He is Norwegian, with blond hair. There seems to be no credible evidence yet that muslim terrorists were involved (despite a group claiming responsibility). Could a really demented Norwegian guy do all this himself?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    From what I'm seeing, the same guy who set off the bomb traveled to the camp and shot the campers. He is Norwegian, with blond hair. There seems to be no credible evidence yet that muslim terrorists were involved (despite a group claiming responsibility). Could a really demented Norwegian guy do all this himself?
    Any determined wacko can do this. Those poor children and OMG the parents! They think some kids may stll be hiding. I hope so.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Email from my older sister on vacation:

We toured Oslo today (Friday), and were in the heart of downtown this morning. However, fortunately, the ship left at 2:00. We learned at dinner about the bombing and the shootings.

So sad for Norway.
    Could you let the rest of the family know that I'm safe? Thanks

-E.

------------------------------------
    I knew she was on a Scandinavian vacation but wasn't sure when her stop in Norway would be.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

The Norwegian police chief has announced more than 80 dead.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Eyewitnes says he called up teenager after teenager and shoot them down - one by one.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information