Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What The... Borders Is Shutting Down For Good?!

Default What The... Borders Is Shutting Down For Good?!

Borders is Toast, But Don't Blame E-Books

A physical bookstore closes, but it's not the fault of e-books.

By Harry McCracken, Technologizer Jul 18, 2011 6:10 pm

And so it ends. Borders, which went bankrupt and announced plans to close hundreds of stores last February, is going to finish the job. Hilco Consumer Capital and Gordon Brothers are buying what's left of the chain, and plan to liquidate the 399 remaining stores and lay off 11,000 employees. (The companies specialize in buying up once-mighty brands: they also acquired Polaroid and The Sharper Image.)
    It's tempting to blame e-books for Borders' death. Amazon released the first Kindle in 2007; Barnes & Noble, while slow to respond, came up with the Nook two years later. Borders, however, only dabbled in e-books-selling Sony e-readers at first (via kiosks that shoppers always seemed to ignore when I checked) and more recently partnering with Canadian e-book company Kobo. The last time I was in a Borders, which was last week, the first thing I encountered when I entered was a great big table of Kobo readers. But it was clearly far too little, far too late.
    But while the rise of the Kindle and its competitors may have helped do the chain in, it clearly didn't start its death spiral. Borders been ailing for years-and shuttering stores along the way-and its strategies for getting healthy usually seemed to make things worse. I mean it wasn't until 2007 that it decided that it made sense to have its own Web site rather than to outsource online sales to archival Amazon.com.
    While Borders was busy giving the Web and e-books short shrift , it was also doubling down on the notoriously tricky business of running brick-and-mortar superstores. Until late 2010, San Francisco had four Borders stores-three of which were within a mile and a half of each other. I'm no retailing genius, but I couldn't figure out how the city could support so many giant bookstores in so little space. Now we know it couldn't: the three ones that were practically neighbors are all gone now, and the last store will close as part of the final shutdown.
    (Borders' smarter rival, Barnes & Noble, only had one store in San Francisco, although that, too, is now gone; there will be no major chain bookstores in the city once the last Borders is history. We're lucky, though-a bunch of excellent independent stores which managed to survive the Borders/Barnes & Noble era are still with us.)
    Bottom line: If e-books didn't exist, I'm pretty positive that Borders would have still collapsed in much the same way. It might have cratered even if the Internet had never been invented. I'm sorry to see it go, and particularly sorry for the folks who will be out of work. But the market worked. Borders is dying because it simply wasn't very good at selling books in the 21st century.

Source: Borders is Toast, But Don't Blame E-Books | PCWorld
    I said it before and Ill say it again. I blame their crazy prices on books, CDs and DVDs. I could careless about them shutting down but Ive met many nice people working in the stores. I feel sorry for them and wish them all the best of luck.

This fucking sucks!!!! Son of a bitch.

Borders recently shut down its Philadelphia superstore downtown. I didn't even know it was closing down until I decided to walk over one Sunday last spring...books were all on the floor and shit and the shelves were so empty. Had I been following this in the news, I'd have known and got some books I wanted for cheap.

They've always had a great sports and transportation selection, way better than Barnes & Noble IMO.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

All of the ones around here closed in the past couple of years. It was a good thing though. They were really crappy. Bad lighting, crowded narrow aisles, never any good clearance, slow as snails checkout...don't miss them at all.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

The one here isn't on the list, but Borders sucks anyway. I love Barnes and Noble.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I love B & N too. They built Borders pretty much next door to B & N. I tried Borders but it wasn't for me. I thought they were in trouble like a year ago.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

I buy almost all my books online now just because they are about half the price of the same books at the bookstore. And I get free shipping, too.

Saw this one coming from a mile away ... it was inevitable. I also buy most of my books online now (B&N), but I am disappointed with my e-reader's magazine layout (Nook Color), plus they have very few magazines for sale for Nook too. My husband buys almost all his school books electronically through Amazon (with an iPad) ... HUGE savings.

I think the author is pretty misguided to think that e-books are not responsible for Borders' demise. Barnes & Noble (as a brick and mortar enterprise) will be gone soon, too.

E-books may be partly responsible, but many people who read don't bother with them. For a true blue bibliophile, an e-book will never be comparable with an actual book. I think the simple fact that online bookstores are so much cheaper is a bigger factor. I can often buy two or three books online for a little more than the price of one book at my local bookstore.

It's true, bookstores are just too expensive. I loved Borders, but its so much more affordable to use Amazon. I will miss being able to wander around and sample, though. I hate b&n.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I have been buying most of my books online for the past few years mainly because of the enormous selection. Usually there are multiple books on the same subject and I like to see what people say about them so I can choose the best one; the online bookstore almost always has the title but the physical stores very often don't. I do enjoy browsing in a real bookshop but that leads to impulse purchases that I usually regret. Plus there is something awesome about anticipating the shipment for a few days and then opening a big box full of books and pulling them out one by one and admiring them. I LOVE books.

Borders has been making mistakes for a looooong time, long before ebooks even existed. The article kind of ticks me off, though; Borders DID have their own website before they outsourced it to Amazon. Even that website, however, came long after B&N and other book retailers had put up their sites, and it was plagued with various issues. In 2001 they had Amazon take over it. They wanted to bring back their own website but even that took a lot longer than expected.

I'm sorry that it's Borders rather than B&N going, as they always had a better selection of books in the stores than B&N, even when they started decreasing their volume of bookstock. However, I agree that their prices, especially for CDs and DVDs, really sucked. Their membership card was pretty stupid at first, too. You'd get bonus bucks but they would expire too quickly. It got better as the years went on, but too little, too late.
    wife: Why is your back all scratched up?
    [flashback to me chasing a raccoon after she told me to leave it alone]
    me: I'm having an affair (by @iwearaonesie
    on Twitter)

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I'm always sad to see bookstores close because I'm one of those people who loves the smell of books and prefers a paper copy to an e-book. That said, if I was in the US and my local Borders was closing down I'd be in there like a shot and digging for bargains.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

i don't think there is a borders here where i live. its outshadowed by hastings, barnes and nobles, and books a million.
    another year i claim of total indifference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information