Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 150th Mass shooting this year - Govt Building Virginia Beach 12 killed

Sorry, couldn't edit or quote ....

[QUOTE]bump stocks

on december 18, 2018, acting attorney general matthew whitaker announced that the department of justice has amended the regulations of the bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and explosives (atf), clarifying that bump stocks fall within the definition of “machinegun” under federal law, as such devices allow a shooter of a semiautomatic firearm to initiate a continuous firing cycle with a single pull of the trigger.
    the final rule

the rule will go into effect march 26, 2019; 90 days from the date of publication in the federal register.
    The final rule clarifies that the definition of “machinegun” in the gun control act (gca) and national firearms act (nfa) includes bump-stock-type devices, i.e., devices that allow a semiautomatic firearm to shoot more than one shot with a single pull of the trigger by harnessing the recoil energy of the semiautomatic firearm to which it is affixed so that the trigger resets and continues firing without additional physical manipulation of the trigger by the shooter.
    access the final rule in the federal register
    what to do

current possessors of bump-stock-type devices must divest themselves of possession as of the effective date of the final rule (march 26, 2019).
    one option is to destroy the device, and the final rule identifies possible methods of destruction, to include completely melting, shredding, or crushing the device. Any method of destruction must render the device incapable of being readily restored to function.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/bump-stocks
    [/QUOTE]

I was aware of this because my son, who is a huge military buff and anything that has to do with it, told me about it. He said that bump stocks aren't really used or favored anymore because when they are installed on a gun, the accuracy of the gun is wildly inaccurate. Take that with a grain of salt because I'm sure that info came from his alt-right father's side of the family.

[QUOTE]as such devices allow a shooter of a semiautomatic firearm to initiate a continuous firing cycle with a single pull of the trigger.[/QUOTE]

I'm having a hard time understanding this statement. Isn't the very definition of a continuous firing cycle a FULLY AUTOMATIC firearm??? There is no place for that outside of the military and certain law enforcement agencies. Bump stocks should have been banned long ago.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

The wording is probably legal due to it being from the ATF website.
    There was a load of stuff inc a fourth-plus page document on this but basically machineguns (continuous firing from one trigger pull) are illegal.
    Nevan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Not only was this the 150th mass shooting in 2019 but Friday was day 150.
    That means a mass shooting *every* day since 01/01/2019.

That's heart breaking.
    I feel so sorry for all those people, who had no warning, no sign that this day would be any different, and had to go through this.

1 every day, dear lord
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

A small price to pay for FREEDOM!!!!

/s
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Sorry, couldn't edit or quote ....
    I was aware of this because my son, who is a huge military buff and anything that has to do with it, told me about it. He said that bump stocks aren't really used or favored anymore because when they are installed on a gun, the accuracy of the gun is wildly inaccurate.
    Does he know about the wildly inaccurate guy who managed to kill 55 people and wound 400 people with one?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Does he know about the wildly inaccurate guy who managed to kill 55 people and wound 400 people with one?
    That’s accurate no? If you are trying to cause as much damage as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    That’s accurate no? If you are trying to cause as much damage as possible?
    Yes. If you look through the lens of someone like Nevan's son who would consider how it would work on a target range -- it would be a disaster.

But for someone who is trying to cause carnage and mayhem from a distance - it's pretty much ideal.

I was talking about this with my own son (and Mrs Mo) over the weekend. He booked two adjoining rooms at a hotel that had perfect line of site toward the crowd. Sneaked his guns in and set them up. 12 bump-stocked rifles with 100-round magazines -- he would never have to fumble with a rifle to reload - just pick up another rifle. And apparently walked back and forth between windows -- and the different angles from different rooms further confused people about where the shots were coming from. In some ways, it is one of the most diabolically planned mass murder ever because of how much forethought it would take to pull it off. And even now, nobody knows why he did it.
    Novice and witchcurlgirl like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information