Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Professor Arrested for Shutting Studentís Laptop in Class

Default Professor Arrested for Shutting Studentís Laptop in Class

Frank Rybicki is an assistant professor in the Mass Media department at Valdosta State University. Last week, he was arrested for his behavior in class. For assault.

What heinous crime led to his jailing?
    The altercation occurred when Dr. Rybicki allegedly closed a laptop computer on the hands of a student...

Dr. Rybicki closed the laptop because he thought the student was on non-class related websites. The student began to argue with Dr. Rybicki about closing the laptop and about the websites she visited while in class.
    Yes, he closed the laptop of a student who was slacking off in class, and that student pressed assault charges against him, and he was literally arrested, and now he's suspended, and the police have ordered students in the class "not to talk to anybody about the incident," and the university is taking it all very seriously. Meanwhile all of the student feedback on the school paper's website is in support of the teacher.

Your blueprint for success has been laid out, rude student jerks.

Gawker — Today's gossip is tomorrow's news
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Well, he probably messed up his zoo keeper high score. Not cool.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

and the police have ordered students in the class "not to talk to anybody about the incident,"
    What kind of a law school advises its students against exercising their constitutional right to free speech? They should be de-certified.

If all the facts are here, it is crazy that he was arrested. That said, why does he care so much that this chick is willing to pay the tuition for law school and then not pay attention. Who cares what site she was on, as long as she was not disturbing the rest of the class.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    If all the facts are here, it is crazy that he was arrested. That said, why does he care so much that this chick is willing to pay the tuition for law school and then not pay attention. Who cares what site she was on, as long as she was not disturbing the rest of the class.
    I agree with that. And since it's a law class why didn't he make her pay attention by having her be the target of a barrage of Socratic-method questions? That would make her pay attention.

I had a college physics class where everyone paid rapt attention because the crazy professor would constant wheel around, point his finger at a random student and ask him a question about the subject at hand.

At my friends' law school, if you haven't done the readings the professor (also the Dean) will charge you with academic fraud. You are supposed to come to class prepared and ready to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I had a college physics class where everyone paid rapt attention because the crazy professor would constant wheel around, point his finger at a random student and ask him a question about the subject at hand.
    I had a literature prof like that. Total nightmare. But then again, it was the only class I always paid attention in.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

They're saying that he closed it on her hands. I wonder if he slammed it shut.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    They're saying that he closed it on her hands. I wonder if he slammed it shut.
    One of the posters on the article site says her thumb was in the way, yet she is claiming her pinky was fractured. Apparently the student is a well known drama queen who distrupts class as a hobby. The other students are angry with her.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Team professor. If you don't want to study, don't effing go to college or UNI. It's not compulsory besides what could be so bloody important?
    I'd even ban mobile phones from classes (and most importantly, exams).

exactly. its the professor's job to teach this fucking imbecile. if the professor asks you to stop playing games on your laptop, he has that right. shut it or get the fuck out.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(ē_ē)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Hit By Ban Bus!

I do not think a professor has the right to close a laptop on someone's fingers or touch it for any reason. It shows a lack of restraint, and a lack of judgement. If the student is not paying attention flunking grades will be the result. And maybe the student can pay attention to both the professor and her laptop and still pass, so either way I feel the professor was in the wrong.

As far as arresting him, maybe he will think twice before doing that to a student or a students property again. I really cant muster up much sympathy for this guy.

Looks like the article was written by one of those students....
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    blah blah blah.... and he was literally arrested, and now he's suspended, and the police have ordered students in the class "not to talk to anybody about the incident,"
    Grrr....
    • lit∑er∑al∑ly Adverb /ˈlitərəlē/ /ˈlitrə-/
      Synonyms:
      • In a literal manner or sense; exactly
        • the driver took it literally when asked to go straight across the traffic circle
        • tiramisu, literally translated “pick me up.”
      • Used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true
      • I have received literally thousands of letters
    So the professor wasn't actually arrested then....

My DH is in grad school and the students ALWAYS have a laptop or an iPad working. He has one professor that allows laptops/iPads, but he does not allow cell use in his class. I'm sure that there are students that abuse it, but DH legitimately uses his laptop or iPad in class (he's also got a 4.0 GPA though). He bought all his textbooks for Kindle for iPad and was required to buy an expensive financial calculator for one class .... he got permission to buy one from the App Store to save a bit of money.

That said, if the professor's rules were NO laptops, then that is what the rules are. IMO, he should have told her to shut it and then kicked her out if she didn't. He had no right to "slam" her laptop shut on her hands/fingers.

I love this clip:
    YouTube - Student FAIL

(edit: how do you make the whole video appear in the post - not just the link?)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information