Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Synthetic Cocaine Sold As 'Bath Salts'

fgg

Default Synthetic Cocaine Sold As 'Bath Salts'

Synthetic Cocaine Sold As 'Bath Salts'

DEA Warns Synthetic Drug Appearing In Gas Stations, Head Shops, Online

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Experts are warning parents about the latest synthetic drug labeled as "bath salts" that has rapidly spread across the Orlando area and has already sent dozens of young people to Florida hospitals.

Don't let the label fool you. The makers call it "bath salts" or "plant feeder" and are sold under a variety of brand names, but experts say it's really fake cocaine. The labels also usually say it's "not for human consumption" but in a drug alert sent in December, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency said teens are snorting it to get high. The DEA said it gives users euphoria and extreme energy, but they'll also appear agitated, suffer from hallucinations, or worse.

"Some people get even chest pain or cardiovascular collapse," said Dr. Josef Thundiyil, who works in Orlando Regional Medical Center emergency rooms and is a toxicologist. "It's appealing to kids because it is legal, because you can get it on the Internet. Whenever it's new and on the Internet there's the appearance that it might be safe, when in reality we actually don't know that it's safe."

It's also appealing to young people because the price is right -- under $50 in most places. The DEA said the fake drug is sold in convenience stores, smoke shops, gas stations and online. The Florida Poison Information Center said fake cocaine started showing up in Florida last August. Since then, Central Florida hospitals have seen the majority of the 41 cases statewide. Users have reportedly been sent to emergency room or psychiatric wards.

"I think that's just the tip of the iceberg because there's no mandatory reporting," said Thundiyil, who explained that hospitals are not required to tell the Florida Poison Information Center about cases, so there's no telling how many other kids have been hurt by this latest fake drug.

Doctors said parents need to watch their children closely for signs of abuse, because it does not show up on drug tests.

The synthetic cocaine has been prevalent in the United Kingdom for years, and was only recently banned after deaths were reported.

Synthetic Cocaine Sold As 'Bath Salts' - Health News Story - WKMG Orlando

I need to start taking more baths.

Well now we know what Lohan's bathroom looks like.

wow! I had no idea fake cocaine even existed :O
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    Well now we know what Lohan's bathroom looks like.
    That's immediately where my mind went too.
    Doctors said parents need to watch their children closely for signs of abuse, because it does not show up on drug tests.
    Now we know how she's passed all those drug tests too.

Brb, ordering some bath salts online!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Who was the genius who tried this first? What nut job decides that they will try snorting bath salt? They have outlawed this stuff here in Louisiana.

Oh well, shouldn't be snorting drugs anyway. Moderation is ok, LOL
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Woman Injects 'Bath Salts,' Loses Arm To Flesh-Eating Bacteria

by Nancy Shute

03:46 pm
    January 13, 2012

Rogelio V. Solis/AP Stimulant chemicals dubbed "bath salts" are increasingly injected for a high.

Using illicit drugs can cause lots of bad things to happen. But being attacked by flesh-eating bacteria usually isn't one of them.
    Yet that's what happened to an unfortunate young woman who had injected the increasingly popular stimulant drug called "bath salts."
    The 34-year-old woman showed up at a New Orleans hospital with a painful, swollen arm after she attended a party. She had a small red puncture mark on her forearm.
    The doctors diagnosed a skin infection and put her on intravenous antibiotics. Things got better. But two days later, the swelling suddenly returned. At that point, she told them that she had injected the bath salts (not to be confused with real bathing aids) at the party.
    The doctors cut open the skin on the woman's forearm and discovered a raging infection and dead muscle. They knew immediately that she was in serious trouble. As they cut skin farther up her arm in an effort to find healthy tissue, the infection was moving so fast they could see flesh dying right before their eyes.
    In the end, doctors amputated the woman's entire right arm and shoulder to stop the infection, and also performed a radical mastectomy and skin grafts. The woman survived, and is now in rehabilitation. Her case was reported online in the journal Orthopedics.
    This tale certainly got Shots' attention. Bath salts is a relatively new problem in the world of recreational drugs. The name covers several synthetic chemicals, including mephedrone and MDPV, short for methylenedioxypyrovalerone, that give a stimulant high similar to meth or cocaine. The stuff is sold under names like Vanilla Sky or Ivory Wave.
    The Drug Enforcement Administration invoked emergency powers in October to make the drug illegal.
    Until recently most people who have taken bath salts have either snorted or smoked the drug. But injection gives a quicker, stronger high, so drug abuse experts aren't surprised to see some people going that route.
    This appears to be the first known case of a person contracting a flesh-eating infection from shooting up bath salts.
    Infections with flesh-eating bacteria are rare, fortunately. But there's a risk of infection with any sort of injection, even in a hospital. And as Robert Russo, an orthopedic resident who helped treat the woman, tells Shots: "When you're out in the street with these drugs the risk is significantly higher."
    Russo had gotten used to treating gunshot wounds in the ER, but was still shaken by this case. "It's one of those horrible things that starts out as no big deal," he says. "Then the person ends up losing an extremity."
    Bath salts is a bad drug, Russo adds. This woman's nightmarish experience "is just one more reason to stay away from it."

Woman Injects 'Bath Salts,' Loses Arm To Flesh-Eating Bacteria : Shots - Health Blog : NPR
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Janet296 View Post
    What nut job decides that they will try snorting bath salt?
    It isn't actually bath salts. It's mephedrone. "Bath salts" are in no way an accurate name. It's just innocent sounding so it can be sold openly. It's also called "plant food" and will do nothing for you plants.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

^ Thanks. I'm not just familiar with todays drugs...thank god. Here's another story to scare you away from using this stuff. Happen here in my area.

Woman Who Injected Bath Salts Loses Arm To Flesh-Eating Bacteria

mephedrone is some kind of synthesized khat. but it's like 100x more harmful.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Janet296 View Post
    Here's another story to scare you away from using this stuff. Happen here in my area.

Woman Who Injected Bath Salts Loses Arm To Flesh-Eating Bacteria
    It's nothing to do with the drug though and everything to do with unsanitary injection technique. The drug didn't kill her. It makes a great scary story but they're making connections that don't exist. Sensationalist journalism.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Injecting shit is never a good idea, period. I tried bath salts, no effect to speak of.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I was wondering why someone would inject a cocaine-like drug rather than snort it.

Reading about the complications of injecting bath salts is a lot like reading about krocodil use in Russia. Horrifying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information