Thread: South Korea Reportedly Buries 1.4 Million Pigs Alive

Default South Korea Reportedly Buries 1.4 Million Pigs Alive

Why do they have to bury them alive? They can't be bothered to kill them first? I remember what a problem foot-and-mouth disease was in 2001, too. I can't remember which countries were affected by that wave, but it was in cattle.

South Korea Reportedly Buries 1.4 Million Pigs Alive To Combat Foot And Mouth Disease

South Korea's decision to bury 1.4 million pigs alive in an effort to curb the spread of the highly contagious foot and mouth disease (FMD) has sparked the ire of international animal activists.
    According to reports, the first case of FMD -- which affects all cloven hoofed animals including pigs, goats and cattle -- was confirmed in November in Andong city of North Gyeongsang province, and has since spread quickly. Officials began embarking on a mass cull of roughly 12 percent of its swine population to combat the disease, primarily because it affects the nation's ability to export meat, Food Safety News is reporting.
    As part of the process, officials are said to be piling the pigs on top of each other in large trucks, dumping thousands of them into mass graves, and burying them alive.
    "The outbreak is the most serious in Korea's history," Kim Jae-hong, a veterinary science professor at Seoul National University, is quoted by The Wall Street Journal as saying. "It is hard to predict when we can contain the spread of the disease, but the most important thing right now is to control movement in and out of the farmhouses that are affected, and thoroughly disinfect the cars around the area."
    Groups such as PETA have started online campaigns, arguing for the animals to be vaccinated rather than killed. Though Reuters reports that 1.2 million pigs have since been vaccinated, the U.S. Department of Agriculture says treatments must be matched to the specific type and subtype of the virus before it can be effective.

Groups such as PETA have started online campaigns, arguing for the animals to be vaccinated rather than killed.
    PETA needs a fucking reality check. North Korea doesn't even take care of it's people humanely.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^^
    this is south korea. but yeah...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

unbelievably cruel. Man sucks.

So they are going to rot in the ground? That's can't be good, wouldn't it be better to incinerate them?
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

ugh, sickening

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    So they are going to rot in the ground? That's can't be good, wouldn't it be better to incinerate them?
    The UK had a problem with foot and mouth in 1967 (and again in 2001). In 1967, the solution was to slaughter the animals on the spot and bury them in quicklime (an acidic slurry), probably to help speed decomposition. I hope the Koreans are not burying pigs alive in quicklime - that's even worse than being buried alive.

The whole thing is awful, I was conderned about contamination and toxins getting into the water supply.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The UK had a problem with foot and mouth in 1967 (and again in 2001). In 1967, the solution was to slaughter the animals on the spot and bury them in quicklime (an acidic slurry), probably to help speed decomposition. I hope the Koreans are not burying pigs alive in quicklime - that's even worse than being buried alive.
    quicklime is used as a powder, not as a slurry because then it would immediately react (with water) and generate heat. it's also basic, not acidic.

There are no words for how horrific this is.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Sick cruel fuckers is all I have to say to this.

Quote Originally Posted by calcifer View Post
    cruel.

quicklime is used as a powder, not as a slurry because then it would immediately react (with water) and generate heat. it's also basic, not acidic.
    That's true. It was recommended in the Northumberland report to bury the animals in quicklime. Never with water. And it is a strong basic, not an acid.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Can't they at least gas them or something? That is disgusting.

Can't they ship them all off to a deserted island, and then go study them in a hundred years or so, curious about the complex social system of a bunch of diseased outcast pigs?

Seriously though, just... what the fuck? Pigs are really smart and experience emotions, so this horrible slaughter means that 1.4 million piggies were frightened, confused, and all sorts of other shit before they died. That's... it makes me sick to my stomach. Poor little piggies
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

Thread Information