Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeless Man's Voice Prompts Job Offers

Default Homeless Man's Voice Prompts Job Offers

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6kI_u3ho_c&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

It sounds like something from a Hollywood movie script, with more than a hint of the Susan Boyle about it. Ted Williams, the homeless Ohio man who enraptured the people of Cleveland with his mellifluous radio announcements from the side of the motorway, has shot to fame after it was revealed the city's NBA team have offered him an announcing role.
    Williams, a former radio personality who was left living on the streets after becoming addicted to drink and drugs, made the news in the US this week after a video of him performing radio links with an unusual panache appeared on YouTube.
    Holding a cardboard sign that reads: "I'm an ex-radio announcer who has fallen on hard times", Williams is seen asking for money, and giving motorists snippets of his best voiceovers using his 'God-given gift of a voice', as Williams himself puts it.

And the video seems to have been the launchpad to greater success, with the Cleveland Cavaliers reportedly offering Williams a two-year contract for a role that could include voiceover work. Williams says he has also received an offer from NFL Films, the studio operated by America's professional football league.
    "This has been totally, totally amazing," Williams told the Associated Press. "I'm just so thankful. God has blessed me so deeply. I'm getting a second chance. Amazing."
    "I can't believe what's going on," said Williams, a father of nine. "God gave me a million-dollar voice and I just hope I can do right by him."
    Williams was initially spotted by The Columbus Dispatch standing near an exit ramp off Interstate 71. A local reporter who, in the video, is heard telling Williams: "I'm going to make you work for your dollar" filmed the short video, and posted it on the internet. Several news organisations in the US picked up the video and ran the story.
    Williams' life began to falter in 1996 when he began drinking alcohol "pretty bad." He used marijuana and cocaine and lost interest in his radio career.

His last job was with a station in Columbus, the state capital, but he ended up on the streets, despite the best efforts of his children, seven daughters and two sons who all live in the Columbus area.
    Williams' story should be an inspiration for other homeless people, said Bob Ater, executive director of the Columbus Coalition for the Homeless.
    "One of the problems with a lot of homeless people is that they have some rich talent, but don't have the confidence to exploit that talent," Ater said, adding he was unfamiliar with Williams before the video hit. "He's fabulous. The Cavaliers could use a boost of some kind."
    Kevin McLoughlin of NFL Films added: "Somehow, some way, I need to get a demo with him [Williams]."

Ted Williams, homeless former radio announcer, handed NBA role | World news | guardian.co.uk

Aw bless, I hope he goes far.
    Go Habs Go!!

Me too
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Me Three. Finally a good news story.

They wouldn't let him fly. He has no ID. Hope he gets it soon
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Aww, good for him.

Cleveland Cavaliers hire homeless man with "Golden Radio Voice" | Cleveland Leader

While the Cavaliers are struggling on the court this season without their former superstar, the organization is still making waves in the community. In perhaps one of the most amazing stories I've ever seen.

Ted Williams, who was previously homeless held up a sign every day telling the world about his "Golden Radio Voice". Someone pulled off to the side of the road to speak with him and video taped the man, and he wasn't lying. This guy has an incredible voice!

Apparently the Cleveland Cavaliers took notice after the Columbus Dispatch featured the man in the paper they and offered him a job and a house. Williams was on a local radio station, WNCI exclaiming "The Cleveland Cavaliers just offered me a full-time job and a house! A house! A house!"

He also added "I've been out there about a year; I just didn't know anything like this would ever happen. There's so many words. I've already been compared to Susan Boyle. I'm just so happy."

It's unclear what position the Cavaliers have offered Williams, but it is an incredible story of redemption after Williams threw his career away years ago admittedly due to drugs and alcohol.

"Just to get back to some normalcy and responsibility.. If I can get a job, whether it's a $25,000 or even $18,000, I'd be happy. At least I know God has me where he wants me."
    Rock the fuck on!

He is supposed to be on The Today Show tomorrow......they were hoping to 'help' him, but guess he already has had some help--which is fantastic! He has a great voice!

they showed him on the CBS morning show. He started crying when he talked about how his 92 year old mama gets to see his redemption
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Hit By Ban Bus!

What does he look like now. He also seems like a very sincere and humble person. It's so nice to see someone appreciate it.

Here you go!

He looks amazing!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4W9xiQ1TWA&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]
    Go Habs Go!!

He better not fuck it up this time
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    He better not fuck it up this time
    I gotta agree. I hope he stays clean and takes this opportunity change his life for the better.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by mtlebay View Post
    Here you go!

He looks amazing!

[youtube]_4W9xiQ1TWA[/youtube]

Oh wow he does look fantastic. Thanks for posting this.

OT but also could you tell me where to find your avatar picture. I've been trying to get a closer look at it for days.

I just saw his mom speak. She said he is a weak person and she is strong. He always follows the crowd. Soooo many arrests on his record. Time will tell, they say too much too soon and that could be trouble if you've already had drug abuse problems. I agree. There will be enticements. He is going to be doing the voice on a kraft macaroni and cheese commercial, airing Sunday night
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information