Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Study linking vaccines to autism was based on doctored information

Default Study linking vaccines to autism was based on doctored information

January 5, 2011
    Vaccine-Autism Study Was Fraud
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 7:50 p.m. EST

LONDON (AP) — The first study to link a childhood vaccine to autism was based on doctored information about the children involved, according to a new report on the widely discredited research.

The conclusions of the 1998 paper by Andrew Wakefield and colleagues was renounced by 10 of its 13 authors and later retracted by the medical journal Lancet, where it was published. Still, the suggestion the MMR shot was connected to autism spooked parents worldwide and immunization rates for measles, mumps and rubella have never fully recovered.

A new examination found, by comparing the reported diagnoses in the paper to hospital records, that Wakefield and colleagues altered facts about patients in their study.

The analysis, by British journalist Brian Deer, found that despite the claim in Wakefield's paper that the 12 children studied were normal until they had the MMR shot, five had previously documented developmental problems. Deer also found that all the cases were somehow misrepresented when he compared data from medical records and the children's parents.

Wakefield could not be reached for comment despite repeated calls and requests to the publisher of his recent book, which claims there is a connection between vaccines and autism that has been ignored by the medical establishment. Wakefield now lives in the U.S. where he enjoys a vocal following including celebrity supporters like Jenny McCarthy.

Deer's article was paid for by the Sunday Times of London and Britain's Channel 4 television network. It was published online Thursday in the medical journal, BMJ.

In an accompanying editorial, BMJ editor Fiona Godlee and colleagues called Wakefield's study "an elaborate fraud." They said Wakefield's work in other journals should be examined to see if it should be retracted.

Last May, Wakefield was stripped of his right to practice medicine in Britain. Many other published studies have shown no connection between the MMR vaccination and autism.

But measles has surged since Wakefield's paper was published and there are sporadic outbreaks in Europe and the U.S. In 2008, measles was deemed endemic in England and Wales.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011...er=rss&emc=rss

I always think of Jenny Mccarthy...

That "doctor" put more kids through total misery for no reason. He needs to be horsewhipped.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

This is one of those debates that will never be settled. I know parents of autistic kids who are 100% certain that the MMR vaccine is to blame in some way. I also don't underestimate the power and influence of pharma companies who produce the vaccines.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    This is one of those debates that will never be settled. I know parents of autistic kids who are 100% certain that the MMR vaccine is to blame in some way. I also don't underestimate the power and influence of pharma companies who produce the vaccines.
    No. He has been totally shot down. He blatently altered the case studies he used and has been found out for once and for all.
    Oh-and it wasn't the pharamcy companies paying for this sham. It was a bunch of trial lawyers who were about to sue said pharmacy companies and needed evidence. He was paid to harm scores of innocent children with his crap. He is vile.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Why was so much credibility given to a study done on only 12 children?

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Disturbing chart here: Jenny McCarthy Body Count

I just got my baby her first vaccinations today. They are doing the first one two weeks early in CA due to the Whooping Cough outbreak. It's a lot of shots combined into one. It makes me nervous to give her any shot, but the benefit outweighs the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I just got my baby her first vaccinations today. They are doing the first one two weeks early in CA due to the Whooping Cough outbreak. It's a lot of shots combined into one. It makes me nervous to give her any shot, but the benefit outweighs the risk.
    It does make you nervous but I was never nervous about my son "getting autism" from vaccines. Have yourself a great pediatrician and they will tell you all the risks and shit.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    It does make you nervous but I was never nervous about my son "getting autism" from vaccines. Have yourself a great pediatrician and they will tell you all the risks and shit.
    I'm not nervous about her getting autism either. I think I just get nervous about her getting a shot that she may (even though the risk is sooooo small) have some sort of reaction to. I suppose I'll get better at this when she gets more shots.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Why was so much credibility given to a study done on only 12 children?
    And couldn't be replicated in other trials? IMO, often people want to know "why has this happened to me/us?", when they'll never be a definitive answer, especially when it involved their children.

I have a co-worker that has a severely physically disabled child (CP) and her attitude is, "It is what it is." She's a tireless advocate for her child and accepts that this is the reality of the situation. It think so many people are unable or unwilling to come to that point.

jenny mccarthy is a moron. i don't know how so many people can read her books and believe her bullshit. i mean, look at this crap:
    Children of the New Earth - Indigo Children
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I read a recent article that linked autism to lack of vitamin D and exercise in pregnant mothers. Not causal, btw, just an interesting study that will probably be blown to hell in 10 minutes.

The study linked environmentally damaged mitochondrial DNA/RNA to childhood autism. It used to be a condition almost exclusive to the wealthy classes (think of all those insane children of kings), but now that we live so much of our lives indoors it has become prevalent in the middle class.

The (tenuous) connection between vaccines and autism is that the child is already compromised and innoculations push them over the edge, so to speak. The effected children cannot normally expel heavy metals or fats.

This all could be bullshit, too, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    jenny mccarthy is a moron. i don't know how so many people can read her books and believe her bullshit. i mean, look at this crap:
    Children of the New Earth - Indigo Children
    I still have no idea what an Indigo mother or a Chrystal child is. WTF is this stupid bitch saying?
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

What a bunch of self absorbed twatwafflery. The fuck is an indigo mom? They don't actually explain that.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

My daughter's autism is most definitely genetic (via her father's side of the family, natch). And she was born that way - she didn't "catch" it. However, there may be other causes and like I say, I know parents who are absolutely sure their kid's autism is linked to the MMR vaccine. Maybe they cling to that belief because they have a natural human need to blame/explain.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information