Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World's longest sea bridge completed

Default World's longest sea bridge completed

China has unveiled the world’s longest sea bridge, which stretches a massive 26.4 miles – five miles further than the distance between Dover and Calais and longer than a marathon.
    The Qingdao Haiwan Bridge, completed earlier this week, links the main urban area of Qingdao city, East China’s Shandong province, with Huangdao district, straddling the Jiaozhou Bay sea areas.
    The road bridge, which took four years and cost a cool £5.5billion to build, will be open for use in the New Year and is almost three miles longer than the previous record-holder, the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway in Louisiana.

Longest: The Qingdao Haiwan Bridge was completed on December 27 and is 26.4 miles long - the equivalent of 174 Tower Bridges

That structure features two bridges running side by side and is 23.87 miles (38.42km) long.

The three-way Qingdao Haiwan Bridge is a staggering 174 times longer than London’s Tower Bridge, over the Thames River – and shaves 19 miles off the drive from Qingdao to Huangdao.
    Two separate groups of workers have been building the different ends of the structure since 2006.
    Shortcut: With an overall length of 42.58km, the route between Qingdao and Huangdao will be shortened by 30km, cutting the travel time by about 20 minutes

Link: The £5.5billion bridge connects the main urban area of Qingdao city, East China¿s Shandong province, with Huangdao district, straddling the Jiaozhou Bay sea areas

And hey were relieved when all the bridges connected properly, which they managed to do on December 22.

WORLD'S LONGEST

- Danyang–Kunshan Grand Bridge (rail) - China - 102 miles
    - Tianjin Grand Bridge (rail) - China - 71 miles
    - Weinan Weihe Grand Bridge (rail) - China - 50 miles
    - Bang Na Expressway (road) - Thailand - 34 miles

One engineer commented: ‘The computer models and calculations are all very well but you can't really relax until the two sides are bolted together.
    ‘Even a few centimetres out would have been a disaster.’
    With an overall length of 42.58km, the route between Qingdao and Huangdao will be shortened by 30km, cutting the travel time by about 20 minutes.
    However, the colossal construction is set to hold the record as the longest sea bridge only for a few years – and it will be bettered by another Chinese bridge in the next decade.

Last December officials announced workers had begun constructing a bridge to link southern Guangdong province with Hong Kong and Macau.
    Set to be completed in 2016, officials say the £6.5billion bridge will span nearly 50km (30 miles).
    ‘Through a more convenient and fast transport network, Hong Kong's financial, tourism, trade and logistics and professional services can become better integrated with the Pearl River Delta and the surrounding areas,’ said Donald Tsang, Hong Kong's Chief Executive.
    The bridge will be a six-lane expressway that can handle earthquakes up to magnitude 8.0, strong typhoons and the impact of a 300,000 tonne vessel, said Zhu Yongling, one of the officials leading the project.
    Even when constructed that structure will be dwarfed by the longest bridge in the world, which is also in China. The Danyang–Kunshan Grand Bridge, also Chinese, is an astonishing 102 miles in length.

Read more: A bridge too far? China unveils world's longest sea bridge which is five miles FURTHER than the Dover-Calais crossing | Mail Online

Shit, and I thought driving over the 7 mile bridge was bad.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Chinese construction standards.

No thanks.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^ my first thought too

A*O

Me too. Sorry but it's true.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

I do good to drive over interstate bridges so this one would definitely be out, Chinese constructed or not. No thanky.

Wow, and all that to save 20 minutes of driving time.
    "We know who we are, we like talking smack about strangers, and we're not gonna stop!" -- GR's Kalirga

That's what I was thinking. All of that for only 20 minutes difference? No thanks, I'll go the long route.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I can't even begin to imagine how fast one would have to drive over that and NOT shit oneself!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sialia View Post
    Wow, and all that to save 20 minutes of driving time.
    lol yeah wtf

The ramps make me think of the acr tracks my brother got for xmas when we were kids. We would assemble all the track pieces and then let the cars go. Once they hit a curve they would go flying into the air. I can see cars flying right off the ramps here.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

After driving the causeway for many years, I can tell you that it probably will not save that much time. People will get up in the morning and all will head to this new bridge. It will just create a new place to back up traffic. Ours is 24 miles long. It's a long boring drive. If your car isn't in great condition, don't get on this bridge. There will be nowhere to pull over or turn around. The chinese are becoming famous for their traffic jams. Good luck with your "timesaving" bridge.

It is pretty to look at though
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Can you imagine having a breakdown or accident on that sucker?

Shudder
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

lol wow Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information