Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Smoking gun proof of Big Bang theory found

Thumbs up Smoking gun proof of Big Bang theory found

Take that, christofascists!

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Physicists say they have the smoking gun that shows the universe went through extremely rapid expansion in the moments after the Big Bang, growing from the size of a marble to a volume larger than all of observable space in less than a trillion-trillionth of a second.

The discovery announced yesterday which involves an analysis of variations in the brightness of microwave radiation is the first direct evidence to support the two-decade-old theory that the universe went through what is called inflation.

Researchers found the evidence for inflation by looking at a faint glow that permeates the universe.

That glow, known as the cosmic microwave background, was produced when the universe was about 300,000 years old long after inflation had done its work.

But just as a fossil tells a paleontologist about long-extinct life, the pattern of light in the cosmic microwave background offers clues about what came before it. Of specific interest to physicists are subtle brightness variations that give images of the microwave background a lumpy appearance.

Physicists presented new measurements of those variations during a news conference at Princeton University. The measurements were made by a spaceborne instrument called the Wilkinson Microwave Anistropy Probe, or WMAP, launched by NASA in 2001.

Earlier studies of WMAP data have determined that the universe is 13.7 billion years old.

Without inflation, the brightness variations over small patches of the sky would be the same as those observed over larger areas of the heavens. But the researchers found considerable differences in the brightness variations.

"The data favours inflation," said Charles Bennett, a Johns Hopkins University physicist who announced the discovery. He was joined by two Princeton colleagues, Lyman Page and David Spergel, who also contributed to the research.

The physicists said small lumps in the microwave background began during inflation. Those lumps eventually coalesced into stars, galaxies and planets.

The measurements are to be published in the Astrophysical Journal.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

SVZ

Default Re: Smoking gun proof of Big Bang theory found

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Take that, christofascists!
    The Big Bang model doesn't attempt to theorize on who or how the universe was created, all it does is analyse what took place after this event. It's just the creation of space and time.

If you really want to learn more about this as well look up Penzias and Wilson, the ones who discovered background microwave radiation.

Yes, but it's pretty concrete that said big bang took place a few billion years before Adam and Eve rode dinosaurs to church.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

omg everytime I think about the universe and how big it is and why its here/there my brain actually starts to hurt; because I just can't comprehend this kind of information...to actually visualize the size of the universe and what is beyond it...ouch there goes my head again...I hope that in death we get to find out all the answers of the universe, but prob just wishful thinking.

Try to envision what less than nothing would be like.

I read this article a few days ago, and the part that I just read over and over again was
    the universe went through extremely rapid expansion in the moments after the Big Bang, growing from the size of a marble to a volume larger than all of observable space in less than a trillion-trillionth of a second.

Now THAT's hard to comprehend. WOW. Space/universe stuff is just too cool.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

A*O

It IS mindboggling. I was crap at physics at school, but still love to read The Big Ideas like this (although I think most rational people accept the Big Bang theory as The Big Fact). If you believe in a God it can still sit comfortably with all this stuff. Question: Who or what 'created' the marble in the first place?? And who or what pushed the Big Red Button marked 'Bang'?
    How can you trust anything that bleeds for 3 days every month but doesn't die?

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon
    I read this article a few days ago, and the part that I just read over and over again was the universe went through extremely rapid expansion in the moments after the Big Bang, growing from the size of a marble to a volume larger than all of observable space in less than a trillion-trillionth of a second
    Stop saying that stuff. It makes my head hurt.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Thread Information