Thread: Albino boy killed in Burundi, witchcraft suspected

Default Albino boy killed in Burundi, witchcraft suspected

Witchcraft suspected as albino boy killed in Burundi

BUJUMBURA | Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:11am GMT

BUJUMBURA (Reuters) - A twelve-year old albino boy was killed late Thursday by armed men in the central Burundi district of Kiganda in what authorities suspect could be linked to witchcraft.
    Albino hunters kill their victims and use their blood and body parts for potions. Witchdoctors tell their clients that the body parts will bring them luck in love, life and business.
    "The twelve-year-old albino was killed by four men with guns and knives. They cut off his left hand and fled away with it," Kiganda administrator Joseph Ntahuga, told Reuters Friday.
    Ntahuga, a government official in the district 80 km from the capital Bujumbura, said the victim had two other albino siblings.
    The murder brings to 14 the number of albinos killed in the tiny central African country since 2008.
    The coffee producing nation of 8 million people has around 500 albinos, who lack pigment in their skin, eyes and hair.
    Burundian authorities believe the killings are carried out local residents who work with witchdoctors in neighbouring Tanzania, where 53 albinos have been killed since 2007 for their body parts, which are sold for use in witchcraft. There are around 170,000 albinos living in Tanzania.
    Kazungu Kassim, head of the national association of albinos, says albino killings continue in Burundi because severe punishment is not taken against the perpetrators.
    "The solution is to sentence those responsible for albino killings to hang as it is done in Tanzania," he said.
    A man has been sentenced death by hanging for killing a five-year-old albino girl in Tanzania by hacking off her legs with a machete and then drinking her blood.
    (Reporting by Patrick Nduwimana; Editing by James Macharia)

Witchcraft suspected as albino boy killed in Burundi | Reuters

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Who believes this crap. I can't understand why grown adults with some kind of common sense would do this. Or believe these witchdoctors. The witchdoctors should be prosecuted also.

This is just horrible. Poor little guy.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by teforde23 View Post
    Who believes this crap. I can't understand why grown adults with some kind of common sense would do this. Or believe these witchdoctors. The witchdoctors should be prosecuted also.
    THEY believe that crap. Unfortunately, it's no different from the myths, superstitions and beliefs that you and I have - they just deal with it differently. I'm not defending it. People believe that rhino horn has sexual powers or anti-ageing properties - it doesn't - but because they believe it, they're willing to wipe out an entire species without blinking.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I gre up in a small Caribbean country with tons of folklore. But by the time I reached eight I saw how a lot of them were hogwash. There is no excuse for murder
    Posted from my iPhone

I've heard about these Albino killings before. I also read there's some "black market" for Albino body parts so witchcraft ain't the only thing making these monsters kill innocent people.

Thread Information