Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 14 yr old is suspended by school 'for wearing Confederate sweatshirt'

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    For the record, I'll take Long Island Iced Tea over that southern sweet tea anyday.
    Well, me, too, considering the Long Island Iced Tea has a shitload of liquor and the awesome elixir sweet tea does not. Unless you're my grandmother, in which case all bets are off and you better sip before you swig.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    My problem with these folks is the never partake in any other aspect of Southern culture except that damn battle flag. Do they read Southern lit or listen to Zydeco or Bluegrass or Gospel or Delta Blues? Hell no. All they want is that flag.

The South lost, people. Unless you want to try and secede again (please do), it means nothing.
    odd statement coming from someone INSIDE...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    That would have been MUCH nicer.

I have no idea why you think that (1st part) - the people I've seen who sport the flag are the most hardcore southern people around. Well, aside from reading southern lit... I'm not sure about that one...

And thank you for inviting us to leave the country. And for telling us that what we thought meant something actually does NOT. I can't imagine how that delusion managed to spread the way it did.
    Don't get lured into this shit. Its always the same shit and the same shitty attitudes. Just say "Bless your miserable fucking heart" and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Well, ouch. We're not all blithering bigot idiots.
    You can lead a horse to water...
    Yes we are Laurent. Ignorant racist rebel flag t-shirt wearing morons who contribute nothing to the US.
    true, we shant forget anymore....
    Sounds like it would be easier for everyone if you would just leave the south, versus the south seceding...?

So some people squawk about seceding. Big deal. It's not like the entire population of a state agrees about it. Obviously you are cynical about southern pride but that doesn't make it meaningless for the rest of us.
    an invitation for olivia to secede? VOUCH!
    Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    She should try this shirt. Nothing to do with racism, just historical.

Godwinned for the win!
    That shit gets less flack than the confederate flag...
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Hell, she'd fit right in here in MS. No one bats an eye at confederate-flag anything over here. It's all over everything. Especially Ole Miss clothing, bumper stickers, etc. paraphenalia.
    mmmhhhmm - I don't see much in Houston, but where I grew up, there was a time when the shirts said "You wear your "x" and I'll wear mine" in response to all the Malcolm X tshirts. I find it (in instances as that) to be inflammatory.
    So how do we express Northern pride?
    Yankee pride - well, don't y'all have those candles and shit?
    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    WTF do yankees have to be proud of? Yall say wursh. Secede bitches.
    do they get credit for "zink" instead of "sink"?
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I have a flag of General Sherman burning down Atlanta and bending General Lee over a barrel and having his way with him.
    I find that offensive. Pics or you're lying!
    I don't know anyone who says wursh. For the record, I'll take Long Island Iced Tea over that southern sweet tea anyday.

That sounds fab!! Where can I get one?
    I have them at my house - we're handing those out to Yankees who show up. well, that and ass whoopings and I'm running low on the flags, you better hurry!
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    They take a while to print up, but in the meantime, everyone can have one of these:

He's pissing oil?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Well, me, too, considering the Long Island Iced Tea has a shitload of liquor and the awesome elixir sweet tea does not. Unless you're my grandmother, in which case all bets are off and you better sip before you swig.
    take notes, mcjag.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    odd statement coming from someone INSIDE...

Don't get lured into this shit. Its always the same shit and the same shitty attitudes. Just say "Bless your miserable fucking heart" and move on.

You can lead a horse to water...

true, we shant forget anymore....

an invitation for olivia to secede? VOUCH!

That shit gets less flack than the confederate flag...

mmmhhhmm - I don't see much in Houston, but where I grew up, there was a time when the shirts said "You wear your "x" and I'll wear mine" in response to all the Malcolm X tshirts. I find it (in instances as that) to be inflammatory.

Yankee pride - well, don't y'all have those candles and shit?

do they get credit for "zink" instead of "sink"?

I find that offensive. Pics or you're lying!

I have them at my house - we're handing those out to Yankees who show up. well, that and ass whoopings and I'm running low on the flags, you better hurry!

He's pissing oil?

take notes, mcjag.
    ERRTHING this bitch said cause I am too tired to get in this damn argument again
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Zink? Dude, how north are you talking, Mel?

Yeah, that sounds French-Canadian— or at the very least extreme northern Maine.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Zink? Dude, how north are you talking, Mel?
    Hey, I've heard it... and now I've googled and it DOES exist.. apparently pretty common in St. Louis:
    The New Madrid thing is not really St. Louis and also not really an accent. That's how it is said - like Houston, TX and Houston Street in NYC. But yes, St. Louisans have accents. One need look no further than the word mom, which apparently has no A in it. There's also the old school St. Louis accent that has pretty much been lost in the younger generations, but you can still find it among the elders. This lovely diction includes words like zinc (sink) and bat tree (battery). There is also St. Louis French. The French would faint if they knew how we were pronouncing Gravois and Chouteau. I think the most prevalent today is turning Os into As.
    Do ST Louisans have an accent?? is there such thing? any special words? | Saint Louis | Yelp

zinc instead of sink - Google Search
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

Dude! St. Louis ain't the north, that's the freaking Midwest!
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Yeah, that's Country Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Dean James View Post
    Dude! St. Louis ain't the north, that's the freaking Midwest!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Yeah, that's Country Grammar
    hmm.. that's perhaps why I phrased the original as a question... smartasses!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

Hell's bells, Missouri was totally schizophrenic on the whole Civil War anyway. They played on both sides, had 2 separate governments, the state was represented on both flags.

I think anything having to do with 'zinks' was from the secessionists.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

And I was about to say not this shit again, but Mel pretty much said it and then some!

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Hell's bells, Missouri was totally schizophrenic on the whole Civil War anyway. They played on both sides, had 2 separate governments, the state was represented on both flags.
    And to complicate things more, there were those damned bushwhackers...
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Wait, who the fuck says "zink" in St. Louis!? I mean, we're talking about the word sink, right? Like, to the bottom of the ocean? Everything but the kitchen? Nobody says that with a Z in, uhh, most of Missouri. Also we're definitely NOT the North, and I'm pretty sure "worsh" for the word wash is a Southern/Midwestern thing (although most big cities in the Midwest shy away from that pronunciation). I think "warsh" with that really nasal A is more Northern.

I don't care about this issue in general, but I've seen my fair share of Confederate flags flying and my gut reaction is to feel a bit nervous/uncomfortable when I see it. Not making a judgment call on the South in general or anything, but the flag still doesn't quite sit right with me.
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

What I see every day flying over city hall:

The state flag. And confederate flag by itself is on everything in MS. If the confederate flag makes you nervous, don't come here. I would be perfectly happy if they got rid of it, but don't see that happening.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I'm from the Northeast and we do not say WURSH, bitches!

Anyway about the flag: When I'm in the south or see a southerner wearing it I get that it's a symbol of southern pride. When my neighbor, born and raised up here, puts it on the back window of his pickup truck, it makes me look twice at him. His shaved head and prison tats don't help. I mean, wtf, he's not from the south so what's that flag mean to him?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information