Thread: CVS pharmacy to pay $77.6 million in meth case

fgg

Default CVS pharmacy to pay $77.6 million in meth case

CVS to pay $77.6 million in meth case

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- CVS Pharmacy Inc. has agreed to pay $77.6 million in fines and returned profits in a case alleging improper control in the sale of an ingredient used to make methamphetamine, federal prosecutors said Thursday.

The U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles said CVS, the largest operator of retail pharmacies, repeatedly failed to properly monitor sales of pseudophedrine, which is contained in some cold medicines and is also used to make meth.

Through failing to monitor these transactions, the pharmacy helped methamphetamine traffickers in Southern California and the area around Las Vegas to get their hands on "large amounts" of pseudophedrine, the prosecutors said in a statement - adding that the sales fueled a rise in methamphetamine production in California.

As part of the pharmacy's agreement with prosecutors, CVS will pay a $75 million fine, the largest civil penalty ever paid under the Controlled Substances Act, the prosecutors said. They also said CVS will forfeit $2.6 million in profits received from illegal transactions.

"This case shows what happens when companies fail to follow their ethical and legal responsibilities," said U.S. Attorney André Birotte Jr. "CVS knew it had a duty to prevent methamphetamine trafficking, but it failed to take steps to control the sale of a regulated drug used by methamphetamine cooks as an essential ingredient for their poisonous stew."

Because CVS has admitted to the charges and has agreed to enter a compliance agreement with the government, criminal charges against the pharmacy will not be pursued, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

CVS said it will continue to cooperate with federal prosecutors on the case.

"While this lapse occurred in 2007 and 2008 and has been addressed, it was an unacceptable breach of the company's policies and was totally inconsistent with our values," CVS Caremark CEO Thomas Ryan said in a prepared statement. "CVS/pharmacy is unwavering in its support of the measures taken by the federal government and the states to prevent drug abuse."

CVS to pay $77.6 million in meth case - Oct. 14, 2010

I'm sorry, but this shit pisses me off. If I need cold medicine after the pharmacy section of the drug store (or Target, grocery store, etc) has closed for the evening, I can't get it. Stupid. Plus, they scan my driver's license into a nationwide database to keep track of how much I buy? That's just insane.

when i was working there, we had a limit of 6 on otc that contained that ingredient. i guess its become worse over time. i see a lot of things they put a sign up to tell you to go ask for the product at a counter b/c of theft.
    another year i claim of total indifference.

Omg! That's a whole lotta monies hunnies.
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

ok so why am i treated like a criminal when i pick up my scripts for when i travel and my sister was too likewise for her adderal?! and this is stupid; punish the stores that sell perfectly innocent needed shit?!

I get that too Alice. Each time I pick up Ritalin or some Xanax I get the treatment.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

^Oh same here... never fails.
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

I don't use CVS. I use Wal-Greens... I had no idea that CVS was more popular. Oh well, fuck 'em!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I don't think CVS is necessarily more popular, just a much larger chain. I personally hate CVS and refuse to ever use them again.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

HUH Well in the great state of Mississippi, you can not purchase any pseudophed product without a prescription from your doctor. It is now a controlled substance!
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

That's such horseshit!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I'm sorry, but this shit pisses me off. If I need cold medicine after the pharmacy section of the drug store (or Target, grocery store, etc) has closed for the evening, I can't get it. Stupid. Plus, they scan my driver's license into a nationwide database to keep track of how much I buy? That's just insane.
    It really is insane. Just another case of the stupidity of the war on drugs.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

Thread Information