Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Acid thrown in woman's face outside Starbucks

Default Acid thrown in woman's face outside Starbucks

Doctors Say Acid Used In Vancouver Attack - Portland News Story - KPTV Portland

PORTLAND, Ore. -- A woman who was burned Monday evening when a stranger tossed a cup of liquid on her face is continuing to recover at a Portland hospital.

Doctors treating 28-year-old Bethany Storro at Legacy Emanuel Hospital said she underwent surgery Tuesday to remove damaged tissue and determine if she'll need skin grafts.

Dr. Nick Eshraghi, Storro's surgeon, said he believes a strong type of acid caused the mostly second-degree burns on her face. Detectives from Vancouver's major crimes team haven't yet released their findings from their own investigation into what was thrown at Storro.

Fortunately, doctors said, Storro was wearing sunglasses at the time of the incident and her eyes were not injured.

"It was extremely fortunate and I was quite relieved when I heard her eyes were spared, whatever this may be," Eshraghi said. "Currently, were just trying to protect her face from drying out and keeping her face from getting infected."

Eshraghi said the injuries may cause scarring.

"But she is anxious and, at times tearful and worried, about what this all means for her future," Eshraghi said.

Nancy Neuwelt, Storro's mother, said her daughter was getting money out of the passenger side of her car to go into downtown Vancouver Starbucks when a strange woman approached.

"A woman approached her and said, 'Hey, pretty girl.' And she turned around and the woman said, 'Would you like to drink this?'" Neuwelt said.

Storro said the woman started a conversation with her and then tossed the liquid into her face, burning it.

Doctors at the hospital's burn unit said they are optimistic about Storro's recovery.

"I feel for her. Fortunately, I think this is fixable. We can fix things. We’ve dealt with much worse than this," Eshraghi said.

Storro's family said the attacker is a black woman in her late 20s with a medium build and a ponytail. They said she wore a green shirt and khaki shorts during the crime. Police said they are working on releasing a composite sketch of the woman.

Investigators said they are determining whether the incident is related to another case near Seattle where a man tossed caustic liquid into the face of a young woman last month.

Both cases appear to be random, officers said.

Anyone with information is asked to call 360-487-7425.

[YOUTUBE]_fllE5xE0nA[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]j-1Zr2WWYzo[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]gRvSE9DwKS8[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by Tati; September 2nd, 2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: edited to add article

How awful. I'm really surprised that a woman did this though. Usually it's a scorned ex husband/boyfriend or something. She's supremely lucky she was wearing sunglasses.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

What an awesome lady. She is forgiving of the perpetrator. I think as strong as she is that its emtionally damaging as well. I do hope they have some video footage so they can catch the monster
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

In the third video: nice how they announced that Drano could be used for such an attack. Way to give some sick fucker ideas!
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

OrangeSlice - our avatars are gonna have to duel, or do a buddy pic together

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    In the third video: nice how they announced that Drano could be used for such an attack. Way to give some sick fucker ideas!
    Meh. The info is already out there. There's a ton of household products you can use to injure someone all helpfully labeled with symbols indicating their corrosiveness or toxicity.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

I saw the interview this morning with this woman and her family. She has a wonderful outlook on life. Hopefully that will help her to recover faster.

I was surprised when they said acid attacks are not uncommon in other countries.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Meh. The info is already out there. There's a ton of household products you can use to injure someone all helpfully labeled with symbols indicating their corrosiveness or toxicity.
    Indeed, and if somebody is messed up enough to throw acid at somebody, they're messed up enough to do a spot of researching on the internet.

That poor woman, I hope her face heals ok poor thing.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    Indeed, and if somebody is messed up enough to throw acid at somebody, they're messed up enough to do a spot of researching on the internet.

That poor woman, I hope her face heals ok poor thing.
    True. Wouldn't take much of a search, either, I am sure. I sometimes forget that there are so many sick fuckers out there.

From what I can see, it looks like she has a good chance of healing. I am still haunted by the case that happened a couple years ago (I need to go find it)...that girl was horribly disfigured.

eta: Ah, the case I mentioned involved a psycho boyfriend-type, not some random stranger. Same method of attack though. UGH.
    'I was savagely disfigured by my deranged boyfriend'
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Very sad. I hope they catch the psycho who did this.

From the stories I've read, it happens a lot when a guy is rejected by a woman. Pakistan has a lot of incidents. In terms of random acid attacks, it seems kind of common in Asia. Hong Kong had 4 acid attacks in one year - some of them involving bottles of acid being dropped from upper floors of buildings on total strangers below.

Just like dropping chunks of concrete off of freeway overpasses.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Just like dropping chunks of concrete off of freeway overpasses.
    Exactly. It's chilling to think about people who sit and stew and think about how they are going to do this to someone else. I also remember that effed-up guy who sent an acid bomb to the singer Bjork. Luckily, the police intercepted it -- probably because he was a known stalker.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    OrangeSlice - our avatars are gonna have to duel, or do a buddy pic together

Awesome! Orange vs. Orange!

But you know Betty always wins.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    Awesome! Orange vs. Orange!

But you know Betty always wins.

She's is on a hot steak lately.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information