Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the Rich Getting Richer?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Are the Rich Getting Richer?

Forbes
    World's billionaire population skyrockets
    Ranks of the ultra-rich rose 15% last year, as stock markets and emerging economies paid off big. Of course, some weren’t so lucky: One’s in a Siberian prison

Making a billion just isn’t what it used to be.

In our inaugural ranking of the world’s richest people 20 years ago, we uncovered some 140 billionaires. This year the list is a record 793, up 102 from last year.

They’re worth a combined $2.6 trillion, up 18% since last March. Their average net worth: $3.3 billion. Strong stock markets around the world (the U.S. being the notable exception) contributed to this surge in wealth.

India, whose BSE Sensex market was up 54% in the past 12 months, is home to 10 new billionaires, more than any other country besides the U.S. Notable newcomers include Kushal Pal Singh, India’s biggest real estate developer; Tulsi Tanti, a former textile trader whose alternative energy company owns Asia’s largest wind farm and Vijay Mallya, the liquor tycoon behind Kingfisher beer.

China now has eight billionaires, four times as many as last year. Solar power mogul Zhengrong Shi joins the list at $2.2 billion.

Russia, whose RTS stock exchange was up 108%, benefited from strong gains in commodities prices. The surge swelled the fortunes of its 33 billionaires, including seven newcomers who join the list. Russians are worth $173 billion this year, $82 billion more than last year.

You gamble, they win
    The world’s wealthiest also continue to find new ways to make money. Consider the appearance of online gambling tycoons. PartyGaming, the company that operates the popular PartyPoker site, went public in London last June, turning three of its founders into billionaires overnight. Among the three is American Ruth Parasol, the list’s only new self-made woman.

Canadian playboy Calvin Ayre went down to Costa Rica a decade ago and began taking bets over the Internet. Most of his revenue comes from the U.S., where online gaming is illegal. Now he too is a billionaire, and one, at least so far, beyond the extraterritorial reach of the U.S. law enforcement and tax authorities.

The U.S. is home to 44 new billionaires and commands nearly half of the fortunes on the roster. Bill Gates retains his title as the world’s richest person for the 12th straight year, proving that while it’s getting easier to make a billion, the same can’t be said for making $50 billion.

In second place is his good friend and bridge partner Warren Buffett. The Sage of Omaha is worth $42 billion this year, $2 billion less than last.

Other notables in the Top 20 include No. 7, Bernard Arnault, the pope of fashion who runs LVMH and oversees its high-end brands including Louis Vuitton and Dom Perignon; and Roman Abramovich, the 39-year-old Russian oil baron who liquidated his biggest asset last year for $13 billion.

Jail terms bad for riches
    Seventy-eight women make the list, 10 more than last year, though only six are self-made, including the Queen of All Media, Oprah Winfrey, “Harry Potter” author J.K. Rowling and eBay’s Meg Whitman.

Hind Hariri, daughter of slain Lebanese prime minister Rafik Hariri, who is eight months younger than Germany’s Prince Albert von Thurn und Taxis, is, at 22, the list’s youngest member.

Twelve people return to the list, including Hiroshi Mikitani, founder of Japanese Internet shopping mall Rakuten.

Thirty-nine people depart from it. Eleven of them died, including John Walton, the son of Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton; he perished in a plane crash last June.

The other 28 fell off either because of stock drops, repercussions from dubious ethics or because we discovered they shared it with more family members (individually, they each had less than $1 billion).

High profile drop-offs include Martha Stewart, whose net worth has fallen to an estimated $500 million since she got out of jail, and Mikhail Khodorkovsky, once Russia’s richest man, who was convicted of fraud and theft and is serving an eight-year-prison sentence in Eastern Siberia.

The 10 richest people in the world
    Billionaire Fortune Age Home Source
    William Gates $50 billion 50 Medina,Wash. Microsoft
    Warren Buffett $42 billion 75 Omaha, Neb. Berkshire Hathaway
    Carlos Slim Helu $30 billion 66 Mexico City Telecom
    Ingvar Kamprad $28 billion 79 Lausanne, Switzerland Ikea
    Lakshmi Mittal $23.5 billion 55 London Steel

Paul Allen $22 billion 53 Seattle Microsoft,investments
    Bernard Arnault $21.5 billion 57 Paris Diversified
    Prince Alwaleed $20 billion 49 Riyadh, Saudi ArabiaInvestments
    Kenneth Thomson $19.6 billion 82 Toronto Publishing
    Li Ka-shing $18.8 billion 77 Hong Kong Diversified

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...2.asp?GT1=7922

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Default Re: Are the Rich Getting Richer?

I don't mind the rich getting richer. I'm more worried about so many poors getting poorer
    Nope.

Mrs. William Gates......sigh........why god why????

I don't ask for much in life.

This is sickening. Makes me want to get out and dust off my old copy of Das Kapital!!!

Even if Bill Gates donated half of his fortune to some causes (world hunger, tsunami/US hurricane relief, AIDS and countless other issues) he would still be in the top 10 richest people in the world.
    Imagine having that much money and what you could do with it.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

A*O

Not defending SuperNerd Gates (Mrs G can have him btw) but he DOES donate/sponsor a lot of $$ to good causes. One of them is the eradication of malaria which, since the tree huggers banned DDT, has become a major problem in many third world countries.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

SVZ

One thing I've noticed is....well we have 1 really nice kitchenaid blender that was 200 dollars, and recently we bought some stuff at Walmart, a coffee grinder and some other things all under 40 bucks. It's been two weeks and all the crap from Walmart just broke itself or stopped working, same with all their clothes, just came apart in the wash - but my one YSL shirt which I've had from years still looks brand new.

A*O

That's the thing in life generally SV - quality, not quantity.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

SVZ

Yeah, that's what my dad says. The poor stay poor because they buy cheap stuff that keeps breaking

At least if the kitchenaid breaks down we can get it replaced but I'm pretty sure this thing can mix concrete

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    One thing I've noticed is....well we have 1 really nice kitchenaid blender that was 200 dollars, and recently we bought some stuff at Walmart, a coffee grinder and some other things all under 40 bucks. It's been two weeks and all the crap from Walmart just broke itself or stopped working, same with all their clothes, just came apart in the wash - but my one YSL shirt which I've had from years still looks brand new.
    That's happened to most of the things I've bought from Canadian Tire (you guys have this store in Toronto?). I've bought a floor lamp 2ice from them and it was defective both times

I just looked at the list again and noticed there is the owner of Ikea. I heard (no confirmed source here) that when he goes grocery shopping he buys only the cheapest food (M-budget, for those who know the swiss market).
    I find this kind of sad if it's true, what's the use of being so rich if you don't enjoy the good things in life?
    Nope.

SVZ

there's stingy and then there's sensible.

just because you're rich doesn't mean you need to eat beluga each night

A*O

This is a true story. I will try to keep it short. About 8 years ago my ancient godmother died. She was a classic little old lady (single) who lived in a modest 2-bed house, drove a 20yr old car and spent her time gardening and going on a short cruise every 5 yrs or so and the occasional concert in London. The executor of the Will called me to say I had been named as the sole beneficiary in my godmother's will. Woohoo! The bequest was a small display cabinet filled with souvenirs and memorabilia from her various trips and other bits and pieces. Total value about $1000. Fair enough. A while later I got another call from the Executor who said that the balance of my godmother's estate had been bequeathed to various worthy charities and that a couple of people from those organisations wanted to find out more about the biog of my godmother because her bequests were quite generous and they wanted to put something in the newsletter. I had very little to tell them but told them what I could. More requests came for info about godmother. So I asked the Executor why these charities were so interested in a little old lady who had bequeathed them some much needed money. Turns out the estate (apart from my cabinet) was worth $30 MILLION !!!!! and 10 charities had received $3 MILLION each. No wonder they were interested. So now I look at my $1000 cabinet and smile and wonder what would have happened if godmother had divided the estate the other way around LOL

I'd feel somewhat famous if I had a relative that rich and all sorts of charities knew of him/her!! Like, "hell yea I'm related to that philanthropist!"

A*O

But she remained totally anonymous. Nobody knew her name (apart from me and the executor). Kinda sad really.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information