Thread: Man commits suicide at a California concert

Default Man commits suicide at a California concert

Apparent suicide at Saratoga concert

(08-20) 15:04 PDT SARATOGA -- A 32-year-old man apparently jumped to his death during a concert at the Mountain Winery in the Saratoga hills Thursday night, authorities said, leaving hundreds of concertgoers at the amphitheater in a state of shock.

Michael Edward Pickels of San Jose accompanied a friend to see the alternative-folk duo the Swell Season perform, but left his seat during the concert around 10 p.m., said Sgt. Rick Sung, a spokesman for the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office.

"Next thing his friend and everyone at the concert sees is he's standing on top of the roof and dove onto the stage," Sung said.

Sung estimated that Pickels fell 20 to 30 feet.

Christian Pantages, 39, a Milpitas resident who attended the concert with his girlfriend, described the crowd's response as "numb and shocked, and 'What the hell is going on?' "

Pantages, who was sitting about 50 feet from the stage, said the band had just finished the ballad "When Your Mind's Made Up." Pantages said band members had been bantering when he glimpsed an object falling near singer Glen Hansard.

"A giant black object just crashed next to the singer," Pantages said. "I thought a light had fallen from the catwalk, or maybe a sound technician had fallen from the catwalk."

Hansard was the first to approach the body, Pantages said.

A doctor came onto the stage and attempted to revive Pickels, Sung said.

The Swell Season canceled the rest of the show. The duo - Irish musician Hansard and Czech singer and pianist Marketa Irglova - posted a statement on the band's website Friday, saying, "The band, crew and all involved with them are shocked and saddened by the unfortunate events of last night. Our hearts go out to the victim ... and to his friends and family."

Maybe it was drugs or something. Seems odd to choose that venue to kill yourself.

I'm not one of those people who think suicide is selfish, but it's pretty selfish and shitty to do this to all of those people that had to witness something like this.

I didn't realize 20-30 feet could be enough to kill someone. Unless he hit head first.

i read some cryptic status update from swell season on my fb home page this morning; it said something along the lines of "thanks for all the support to those affected" & i was wondering what it was about. how sad. and, how traumatic for the band & concert-goers.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

selfish fuck.. if you're going to kill yourself at least have the decency to involve as few people as possible.

I can still hearing the bloodcurdling screams of the asshole who killed himself by setting himself on fire outside my work at the start of the year. I don't necessarily think it's selfish to kill yourself but being a dramatic attention whore and subjecting others to the trauma is.
    Last edited by Sleuth; August 21st, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Meanwhile, in Belgium.....

British pop singer commits suicide at Belgian music festival

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 7:23 PM on 21st August 2010

The lead singer of a British pop band has committed suicide during a music festival in Belgium.
    Charles Haddon, frontman of electro-pop trio Ou Est Le Swimming Pool, leapt to his death from a telecommunications mast behind the main stage at the Pukkelpop festival, police in Belgium said.
    The 22-year-old fell to the car park below and was pronounced dead late last night.

Suicide: Charles Haddon, singer for Ou Est Le Swimming Pool, leapt to his death from a telecommunications mast behind the main stage at the Pukkelpop festival shortly after his band performed at the Belgian event yesterday

The band, based in Camden, north London, had performed at the three-day festival in Hasselt, eastern Belgium, shortly before Haddon climbed up the mast.
    Police are treating the death as suicide, district attorney Marc Rubens said.

Festival organisers said Haddon's family had been informed.

In a statement posted on their website, they said: 'After performing with his band Ou Est Le Swimming Pool, singer Charles Haddon decided to take his own life.
    'Our thoughts and sympathies go out to his family and friends.'
    A Foreign Office spokeswoman said: 'We can confirm the death of a British national on August 20 in Hasselt, Belgium. Consular assistance has been offered.'

Ou Est Le Swimming Pool were due to perform at the Frequency Festival in Austria tonight and were to start a UK headline tour in Cambridge in October.

Music fans enjoy the Pukkelpop 2010 festival in Kiewit, near Hasselt. The tragedy has left a dark cloud hanging over the event

The band had supported La Roux on tour last year, which Haddon described in a blog as being a personal highlight. They also played at Glastonbury and Bestival festivals last year, and were due to make a second appearance at Bestival, on the Isle of Wight, on September 10.

Their third single, Jackson's Last Stand, was released in July.

On Thursday, Michael Been, the 60-year-old frontman of American band The Call, died of an apparent heart attack at the same festival while working as a soundman for his son's band, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.
    A statement posted on the band's MySpace website said: 'We are all so deeply saddened to confirm that our friend Charlie Haddon passed away yesterday, Friday 20th August.
    'The singer had just performed with his band, Ou Est Le Swimming Pool, at the Pukkelpop festival in Belgium. He was 22 years old.
    'Charles Alexander Haddon R.I.P. Thanks for all your messages of support.'

Source: Charles Haddon, Ou Est Le Swimming Pool singer, 'commits suicide' at Belgian music festival | Mail Online

OK superstitious types, admit it, you're thinking of a third one right now.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Suicide is usually a private thing it seems,...these stories are odd and very sad.

Jesus I can't believe this has happened twice in such a short space of time, I came into the thread thinking it was about the guy in Belgium but I was a bit confused when it said California.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Thread Information