Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here we go again: Starbucks sued for too-hot tea

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Here we go again: Starbucks sued for too-hot tea

According to the complaint, the plaintiff Zeynep Inanli was served tea that was "unreasonably hot, in containers which were not safe," at a Starbucks store at 685 Third Avenue in Manhattan.

As a result of Starbucks' negligence, the plaintiff suffered "great physical pain and mental anguish," including the burns, the complaint said.

The plaintiff seeks unspecified damages.

Starbucks, based in Seattle, did not immediately return requests for comment. The plaintiff's lawyer did not immediately return a call for comment.

Retailers periodically face lawsuits for serving beverages at temperatures that customers say are too high.

In one well-known case, a jury in 1994 ordered McDonald's Corp to pay $2.86 million to Stella Liebeck, an Albuquerque, New Mexico woman who claimed she scalded herself with the restaurant's coffee. The parties later settled.

Starbucks sued over hot tea alleged to cause burns | Reuters
    Hey genius, tea is hot. Watch yourself when you get one.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

mental anguish?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    mental anguish?
    Well sure, Grimm. He had to decide how hot vs too hot. Regular cup vs not safe cup. He had to find a lawyer who would actually take this junk case with a straight face. Terrible mental anguish.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Aww poor thing. Hand over a batrillion dollars for all that suffering. Who knew hot really meant hot?
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

The McDonald's suit actually made sense because they proved that McDonald's was intentionally making the coffee too hot to drink.

I could understand a verdict like that the first time. Now, for people who are true morons and don't realize that hot means hot, they even write on the damn cups, "Warning, this beverage is hot" or something like that. Have I burned half of the taste buds off my mouth many times due to hot coffee or tea? Sure, but I know it's my own dumb fault, not Starbucks. What next, sue Mr. Coffee for making machines that make coffee too hot?
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    The McDonald's suit actually made sense because they proved that McDonald's was intentionally making the coffee too hot to drink.
    And because she needed skin grafts as a result of the burns.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Mental angui$$$$h indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    She needed a brain graft for being stupid enough to put a hot cup of coffee between her legs. There should be protection for the consumer but the consumer also should use some common sense.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

How hot were they actually heating the water to? I think that Starbucks and McDonald's heat their coffee up to really high levels, and I don't particularly understand why, if most people want to drink tea/coffee right away.

For example, 160 degrees fahrenheit (70 degrees celcius) is far from boiling -- however, contact with water at that temperature causes instantaneous 2nd/3rd-degree burns in a child (not sure about adults). 145 degrees causes burns within a few seconds.

How did they prove that McD's intentionally made their coffee too hot? And why would they do that? I have to say that that idiot woman in the McD's case should have been tossed out of court. Another genius who thinks 'hey, what a great idea! I think I'll put this piping hot cup of coffee between my legs while I drive! What could possibly go wrong!'

IF things keep going at this rate restaurants/cafe's/etc will refuse to serve anything above lukewarm.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I've gotten coffee at every restaurant I've ever been to & they all use Bunn. Is there some special switch on the pro coffee makers to make the water even hotter than standard?

I know that when I get tea now they use the hot water from the machine that steams the milk, etc. It's much hotter than it used to be but fortunately I'm not a dumb ass so I wait until it cools a bit.

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    And because she tried to be reasonable by seeking to have McDonald's cover only her medical expenses. There is no reason coffee needs to be so freaking hot it causes third degree burns in 2-7 seconds.

There's also no reason to carry a hot cup of coffee in a less than sturdy container between your legs while driving. Sorry but sometimes you have to take responsibility for your own stupidity.

--Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

well you have to put a good product out there that isn't going to hurt consumers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information