Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Times Square in NYC exacuated due to failed bombing

Default Times Square in NYC exacuated due to failed bombing

Can't believe this wasn't posted yet. Maybe its an East Coast thing. AFAIK, Times Square has been evacuated since 8PM, and continues to be, because of ... what sounds like IMO, a failed suicide bombing.

SUV in Times Square was rigged with explosives, New York firefighter says

A Weatherproof Garment Company advertisement depicting U.S. President Barack Obama on the Great Wall of China is seen in Times Square, New York January 6, 2010. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson (UNITED STATES - Tags: BUSINESS POLITICS IMAGES OF THE DAY) LUCAS JACKSON/REUTERS

Busy section of Manhattan evacuated after bomb squad called in

Reuters Published on Saturday, May. 01, 2010 10:32PM EDT Last updated on Saturday, May. 01, 2010 11:15PM EDT

The SUV that triggered the evacuation of Times Square on Saturday night contained explosives, gasoline, propane and burned wires, a New York firefighter told Reuters.

The officer, who did not give his name because he was not authorized to speak to the media, said a man was seen fleeing the car and police had evacuated several blocks around the popular tourist area in the centre of Manhattan in case there were other devices.

The officer said law-enforcement officials were treating the sport-utility vehicle as a “failed device.”

Police have not confirmed what exactly they found in the car.

Earlier, officers at the scene said the evacuation order stemmed from an “emergency investigation” and dozens of officers blocked access to the busy central Manhattan square.

New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne said a vehicle had been left in Times Square, with smoke seen coming from it.

The bomb squad responded and a small fire was extinguished, he said.
    The SUV is parked very close to a production of The Lion King on 45th Street. Women in evening gowns were among the crowd on one of the warmest nights of the year and the busiest night of the week for Broadway theatres in the area.

Vehicle and pedestrian traffic was very heavy on streets outside the evacuation zone, including Sixth and Eighth avenues. All intersections in the area were blocked by police and fire department vehicles, lights flashing.

A New York City firefighter who said he arrived early on the scene described the vehicle as a dark-coloured SUV, and said it was parked at the corner of 45th Street and Seventh Avenue.

He confirmed the vehicle was smoking and also said he saw “a flash” from the back of the SUV. The firefighter said a “mini-explosion” occurred between 6 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.

“The SUV was smoking. There was a flash and we put two and two together” and an evacuation was ordered, he said.

More to come.
    SUV in Times Square was rigged with explosives, New York firefighter says - The Globe and Mail

(Be interesting to see how powerful this thing could have been or if it was just a dud)

Obama updated on apparent NY car bomb - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – The White House says President Barack Obama has been briefed on the apparent car bomb found Saturday in New York's Times Square.

In a statement, the administration said that the president, who attended an annual dinner for White House news correspondents Saturday night, praised the quick response by the New York Police Department.

Obama has also directed his homeland security and counterterrorism adviser, John Brennan, to advise New York officials that the federal government is prepared to provide support.

The White House says that Brennan and others will keep Obama up to date on the investigation

Figures, the one night I'm staying in midtown. I saw this on the local news but they didn't have details...it is scary.
    Posted from my iPhone

thank god the damn thing didn't go off!

NEW YORK – New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg says a suspicious vehicle in Times Square "did indeed contain an explosive device."
    Police found the device in the smoking Nissan Pathfinder on Saturday evening. They then cleared the streets of tourists and dismantled it.

The mayor spoke at a news conference early Sunday along with Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.
    Kelly says the car contained three propane tanks, consumer-grade fireworks, two filled 5-gallon gasoline containers, and two clocks with batteries, electrical wire and other components. He says a black metal box resembling a gun locker was also recovered.

Authorities say a Connecticut license plate on the vehicle did not match up. Police are looking for additional surveillance video.

Thank goodness the thing failed. But I worry it's a sign of things to come.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

So the Tea Baggers are now in Times Square?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Times Square car bomb: Pakistani Taliban 'claims responsibility'

The Pakistani Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attempted car bomb attack in New York’s Times Square, according to a statement on an Islamist website.

It was not immediately possible to verify the authenticity of the claim.

Al Qaeda’s Iraq leader Abu Ayyub al-Masri - also known as Abu Hamza al-Muhajir - and Abu Omar al-Baghdadi, the purported head of its local affiliate, the Islamic State of Iraq, were killed last month.

The bomb, which failed to detonate, was left in a sport utility vehicle close to a Broadway theatre where a production of The Lion King was showing.

It contained three propane tanks, fireworks, two five gallon gasoline containers, two clocks with batteries, electrical wires and a 4ft by 2ft metal box.

The dark green Nissan Pathfinder with tinted windows was parked near the junction of 45th Street and Broadway.

It was abandoned with its engine running and hazard lights flashing. A T-shirt vendor, who was a Vietnam veteran, alerted police when he noticed smoke coming out of it.

A mounted police officer examined the vehicle and saw white smoke billowing inside. He also smelled gunpowder.

Police hurriedly evacuated thousands of tourists and theatre-goers, including women in evening gowns, from the area on Broadway's busiest night of the week.

Heavily armed police and FBI agents were deployed on the empty streets as bomb disposal experts used a robot to break the windows on the vehicle and remove explosive material.

New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said: "I think the intent was to cause a significant ball of fire."

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg returned immediately to the city from a White House dinner.

Speaking at the scene, he said: "We are very lucky. Thanks to alert New Yorkers and professional police officers, we avoided what could have been a very deadly event.

"The bomb squad confirmed that the suspicious vehicle did contain an explosive device. We have no idea who did this or why."

He added: "Terrorists who want to take our freedoms away from us focus on the symbol of those freedoms, and that's New York City."
    Mr Bloomberg said the wiring of the bomb "looked amateurish" and it had used "consumer grade fireworks" that were easily obtainable.

The alarm was raised at 6.34pm (10.34pm GMT) and six minutes earlier a security camera had recorded the Nissan heading west on 45th Street.

Police have also established that the car's plates, which were from Connecticut, were not the ones registered to it.

They have already spoken to the owner of the plates who said he had taken them to a junkyard.

Mr Bloomberg said police had no reports of anyone being seen running away from the vehicle after abandoning it.

Times Square is four miles north of the site where terrorists destroyed the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. The car was parked near the headquarters of Viacom, producer of South Park, the cartoon that was recently threatened for a plotline involving the prophet Mohammad.

The area that was evacuated and shut down is one of the prime spots for Broadway shows, with seven theatres and shows including Billy Elliot.

Katy Neubauer, 46, who was shopping for souvenirs nearby, said there had been panic. She said: "It was a mass of people running away from the scene."

Don Slovin, watching the police through the window of a shop a block away, said, "Of course it conjures up memories of 9/11."

President Barack Obama praised the quick response by the New York Police Department and said the federal government was prepared to provide support.

An Afghan immigrant and self-confessed Al-Qaeda agent Najibullah Zazi pleaded guilty in February to a plot to set off bombs in New York's subway system.

The 25-year-old could be sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty to conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction, conspiracy to commit murder in a foreign country and providing material support to the Al-Qaeda Islamist network.

Last year, four New Yorkers went on trial in an alleged plot to bomb a synagogue in the city and shoot down military planes.

Times Square car bomb: Pakistani Taliban 'claims responsibility' - Telegraph

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

“The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    The mayor spoke at a news conference early Sunday along with Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.
    Kelly says the car contained three propane tanks, consumer-grade fireworks, two filled 5-gallon gasoline containers, and two clocks with batteries, electrical wire and other components. He says a black metal box resembling a gun locker was also recovered.
    Geezus! And it was parked close to The Lion King and 7 other Broadway shows. That would have been a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Times Square car bomb: Pakistani Taliban 'claims responsibility'

The Pakistani Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attempted car bomb attack in New York’s Times Square, according to a statement on an Islamist website.

It was not immediately possible to verify the authenticity of the claim.
    I've always wondered how to sort out the legit claims of responsibility from the rest. Its so backwards- in their culture, this type of thing is a point of pride and a line immediately forms with people clamouring to take responsibility forit. So sick, and so sad.

The car was parked near the headquarters of Viacom, producer of South Park, the cartoon that was recently threatened for a plotline involving the prophet Mohammad.
    Yet another suspicious piece of the puzzle.

Police have also established that the car's plates, which were from Connecticut, were not the ones registered to it.

They have already spoken to the owner of the plates who said he had taken them to a junkyard.
    See, as an aside, this just affirms my weird habit of never throwing away my old license plates. You never know where they could end up. So I have a small collection of plates from former states I've lived in. WTF do you do with the damn things otherwise??

A T-shirt vendor, who was a Vietnam veteran, alerted police when he noticed smoke coming out of it.

A mounted police officer examined the vehicle and saw white smoke billowing inside. He also smelled gunpowder.

Police hurriedly evacuated thousands of tourists and theatre-goers, including women in evening gowns, from the area on Broadway's busiest night of the week.
    Speaking at the scene, he said: "We are very lucky. Thanks to alert New Yorkers and professional police officers, we avoided what could have been a very deadly event.
    Well-done Mr. T-Shirt-Peddling Veteran. Well-done. This is scary. It seems very similar to the Oklahoma City bombing.

I love this guy. Here's an interview of sorts w/ him:
    Meet the Grumpy Hero Who Saved Times Square - Lance Orton - Gawker

T-Shirt Vendor Takes On New Persona: Reluctant Hero of Times Square

By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT

Hiroko Masuike for The New York Times The T-shirt vendor who alerted the police to the bomb in Times Square spoke to officers Sunday morning.

About 12 hours had passed since a T-shirt vendor in Times Square had alerted police to a suspicious S.U.V. that was packed with a bomb. But by 7 a.m. Sunday, with the S.U.V. towed away and the streets safe and reopened, the vendor was tired, cranky and reluctant to say much about his feat.

“I’m fed up,” said the vendor, who declined to give his name as he headed toward a taxicab in Times Square around 7 a.m. “We’ve been up since 6 a.m. of yesterday morning.”

The vendor, who was swarmed by television cameras, wore a name tag around his neck that identified him as Lance Orton. A law enforcement official confirmed that his first name was Lance.

The vendor had seen smoke billowing from the rear of the S.U.V., which was parked awkwardly near the curb and was running, shortly before 6:30 p.m. on Saturday. Within moments, the vendor alerted a mounted police officer; the officer smelled gunpowder near the car and an evacuation of Times Square was ordered.

Around 6:30 a.m. on Sunday, the vendor and several others he worked with collected the T-shirts and tables they had abandoned on 45th Street and Broadway when Times Square was first evacuated. After collecting his belongings, the vendor walked down 45th Street in search of a taxicab to take him home.

“I’m not going to say nothing, I’m not going to say nothing,” he said when first approached by a gaggle of reporters.

As he walked down the street, employees from Junior’s restaurant stood outside applauding him. He briefly entered the restaurant before heading toward 44th Street.

He walked with a limp, had a cane, wore a white fedora and had a hoop earring in his right ear.

When asked if he was proud of his actions, he said: “Of course, man. I’m a veteran. What do you think?”

The vendor said that he had served during the Vietnam War and had been selling wares on the street for about 20 years.

“I don’t have too much of a choice, nobody’s giving me a job,” he said.

He said that he was reluctant to speak with members of the media because they had twisted his words when they interviewed him in recent years.

He got into the back seat of the taxi, took off his hat and used it to fan his face.

Before he left, he was asked what he had to say to New Yorkers.

“See something, say something,” he said.
    T-Shirt Vendor Takes On New Persona: Reluctant Hero of Times Square - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com

I guess it's better not to do that 'draw Mohammed' thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    See, as an aside, this just affirms my weird habit of never throwing away my old license plates. You never know where they could end up. So I have a small collection of plates from former states I've lived in. WTF do you do with the damn things otherwise??
    In MA, you're supposed to return them to the RMV when you cancel your registration.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    I guess it's better not to do that 'draw Mohammed' thingy.
    Eh, they can't bomb everyone so the more who do it the better.

Anyway, I just read the car was outside the Verizon building, which owns Comedy Central and they're investigating the South Park connection.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I work in Times Square, and this is the third "car bomb" this year. My building has been evacuated twice already, streets closed off while police investigate. I think I'm getting numb to it all now. It never turns out to be much...but one day, I fear it will. Sucks living this way, but people have to go to work, and the tourists, dear frigging slow walking tourists, keep coming. Nothing deters them. Which I guess is good.

If the terrorists really wanna get us, they will and they can (as 9/11 proves). I think these things are dry runs, or tests. Bastards.

Now saying no evidence of taliban link

NYPD: Video has possible SUV bomb suspect in alley

By TOM HAYS and DEEPTI HAJELA, Associated Press Writers Tom Hays And Deepti Hajela, Associated Press Writers – 10 mins ago
    NEW YORK – Police investigating the failed car bomb left in Times Square have videotape of a possible suspect shedding clothing in an alley and putting it in a bag and found a substance that resembled fertilizer in the parked SUV, Commissioner Raymond Kelly said Sunday.
    Kelly said officers were on the way to a Pennsylvania town to talk to a tourist who might have recorded the suspect on his video camera. The video shows a white man in his 40s taking off one shirt, revealing another underneath.

The commissioner said there's no evidence that a Pakistani Taliban videotaped claim to the failed car bombing is valid.
    Police found the SUV parked on one of the prime blocks for Broadway shows such as "The Lion King" on Saturday night. Thousands of tourists were cleared from the area for 10 hours. The bomb was dismantled, and no one was hurt.
    The SUV contained three barbecue-grill-sized propane tanks, fireworks, two filled 5-gallon gasoline containers and two clocks with batteries, electrical wire and other components, police said. Timers were connected to a 16-ounce can filled with the fireworks, which were apparently intended to set the gas cans and propane afire, Kelly said.

"Clearly it was the intent of whoever did this to cause mayhem, to create casualties," Kelly said at a news conference at police headquarters. "It's just a sober reminder that New York is clearly a target of people who want to come here and do us harm."

He said New Yorkers are lucky that the bomb did not fully detonate because it "looks like it would have caused a significant fireball." He said the vehicle would have been "cut in half" by an explosion and people nearby could have been sprayed by shrapnel and killed.

"It wasn't an accident," he said. "It was somebody who brought this to the location to send a message to terrorize people in the area."
    Police also found eight bags of an unknown substance in a gun locker that was in the smoking SUV, Kelly said. The substance "looks and feels" like fertilizer, he said, but tests were pending.

Kelly said surveillance video shows the vehicle entering the area at 6:28 p.m. Saturday, and a vendor pointed the SUV out to an officer about two minutes later, at the height of dinner hour before theatergoers head to Saturday night shows. He said the license plate on the SUV belongs to a car that is being repaired in Connecticut.

Duane Jackson, a 58-year-old handbag vendor from Buchanan, N.Y., said he noticed the car and wondered who had left it there.
    "That was my first thought: Who sat this car here?" Jackson said Sunday.
    Jackson said he looked in the car and saw keys in the ignition with 19 or 20 keys on a ring. He said he alerted a passing mounted police officer.
    They were looking in the car "when the smoke started coming out and then we heard the little pop pop pop like firecrackers going out and that's when everybody scattered and ran back," he said.
    "Now that I saw the propane tanks and the gasoline, what if that would have ignited?" Jackson said. "I'm less than 8 feet away from the car. We dodged a bullet here."
    After the Connecticut license plates on the vehicle did not match up, police interviewed the Connecticut car owner, who told them he had sent the plates to a nearby junkyard, Bloomberg said.
    Heavily armed police and emergency vehicles shut down the city's busiest streets, choked with taxis and people on one of the first summer-like days of the year. Times Square lies about four traffic-choked miles north of where terrorists bombed the World Trade Center in 1993, then laid waste to it on Sept. 11, 2001.
    ___
    Contributing to this report were Associated Press writers Cristian Salazar, Michael Kuchwara and AP Radio correspondent Julie Walker in New York, AP Washington bureau chief Ron Fournier, AP writers Eileen Sullivan, Pete Yost and Kimberly Dozier in Washington, Colleen Long in North Carolina and Robert H. Reid in Kabul.

NYPD: Video has possible SUV bomb suspect in alley - Yahoo! News

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information