Thread: New proposal: Endangered whales could be killed legally

Angry New proposal: Endangered whales could be killed legally

Endangered whales could be killed legally

Thousands of whales could be killed legally for the first time in 25 years under new proposals put forward by the International Whaling Commission.

By Louise Gray, Environment Correspondent
    Published: 8:00AM BST 24 Apr 2010

Iceland has been killing fin whales according to conservationists Photo: PÁDRAIG WHOOLEY

The body, set up to protect the species in international waters, banned the commerical hunting of whales outright in 1986.
    But whaling nations like Japan, Norway and Iceland continued to hunt the mammals using a series of loopholes, such as whaling for "scientific research".

The IWC, which is due to meet next month to update the law around the protection of whales, has suggested the only way forward is to set up a series of quotas.
    It is argued that this will limit the slaughter because the killing of whales is controlled under international law.
    However the details of the proposals reveal that the quotas will be in the thousands and include endangered species. Papers issued by the IWC suggest thousands of minke whales could be killed in the Southern Ocean over the next ten years. Even fin whales and sei whales, that are officially in danger of dying out, are included.
    Environmentalists were outraged, arguing that the killing of whales should never be sanctioned under international law while the species is still under threat of extinction.
    Heather Sohl, species policy officer for WWF-UK, said it was "ridiculous" to allow hunting of whales in the Southern Ocean, which is a critical feeding ground for species including blue whales.
    "Some whales feed exclusively in the Southern Ocean - not eating at all during the winter months when they travel up to tropical waters," she said.
    "Allowing commercial whaling in an area where whales are so vulnerable goes against all logic."
    She also criticised the decision to include fin and sei whales in the quota.
    "Both fin and sei whale species were depleted to severely low levels by previous whaling that spun out of control, and they remain endangered as a result.
    "Allowing new commercial whaling on these species when they have yet to recover from previous whaling is management madness."
    Whaling nations like Japan back the IWC proposals and are arguing for even higher quotas.
    But critics, including the UK, US and Australia, are against any deal that could cause an increase in whale hunting.
    The IWC will meet in in Agadair, Morocco at the end of this month. Nations will decide on whether to set quotas and the catch that will be allowed. There are also proposals to promote whale watching as an alternative source of income for whaling communities and to protect whales from climate change and over fishing.

Endangered whales could be killed legally - Telegraph

This makes me sad.

The IWC is a joke. It's so corrupt.

It is very sad.

I wonder how big a business whaling is. How much is a whale worth? The meat is probably rare and expensive. I'm sure there's lots of bribery involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctora Pepper View Post
    I wonder how big a business whaling is. How much is a whale worth? The meat is probably rare and expensive. I'm sure there's lots of bribery involved.
    Yes lots of bribery. From the movie The Cove, they revealed that the Japanese build impoverished countries schools etc. in order to get their vote. The Japanese are the biggest movers and shakers when it comes to wanting the ban on whale hunting completely lifted.

Eat something else!

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    Yes lots of bribery. From the movie The Cove, they revealed that the Japanese build impoverished countries schools etc. in order to get their vote. The Japanese are the biggest movers and shakers when it comes to wanting the ban on whale hunting completely lifted.
    Ugh that bit where they asked the representatives what types of whales passed by their islands...

"My experience with dolphins is on television."

I always got the impression it was less about the meat and more about the bones and fat(?)
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    I always got the impression it was less about the meat and more about the bones and fat(?)
    Wikipedia says it's mainly for meat and oil.

At the lab near my house they have reassembled whale skeletons. The ribs are as tall as I am. They also have loose bones in the garden. They're very light.

oil...thats what I was thinking of
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Its HUGE business. have you ever seen Whale Wars on Discovery?
    Whale Wars : Animal Planet
    This show is intense.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Its HUGE business. have you ever seen Whale Wars on Discovery?
    Whale Wars : Animal Planet
    This show is intense.
    Thanks cupcake, I'll check it out.

The show is pretty crazy. Those people are on a mission to save the whales from the Japanese. They chase their ship and try to sabatoge their efforts. Its really war
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Dammit where's Obama in this?

Thread Information