Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: US woman adopts boy from Russia, then sends him back: 'I don't want him anymore'

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default US woman adopts boy from Russia, then sends him back: 'I don't want him anymore'

Russia reacted with horror today over the heartbreaking story of a seven-year-old Siberian boy adopted by an American family who was sent back to Moscow alone - because his U.S. mother didn't want him any more.
    Little Artem Saveliev was last year taken from a grim orphanage and given a new life in Tennessee last year.
    But his adoptive mother Torry-Ann Hansen, a 26-year-old nurse, yesterday put him on a ten-hour flight as an unaccompanied minor with a note 'to whom it may concern' saying: 'I no longer wish to parent this child'.
    In his rucksack, she had placed sweets, biscuits and colouring pens for the journey.

She did not tell him she was rejecting him. Instead, she and a grandmother that he was going on an 'excursion' to Moscow.
    In the typed note, which the blond boy was clutching when Moscow police picked him up, she said she wanted the adoption annulled and accused the Vladivostok orphanage of misleading her about the child's behavioural problems.
    The Russians angrily denied this, saying he was stubborn but that his only disability was that he was 'flat-footed'.
    Officials said they have never witnessed such cruelty to a child after promising a 'new life'.
    Unwanted Artem, eight next week, looked confused and bewildered as he was taken into care by Moscow social services.
    The Kremlin's children's rights commissioner Pavel Astakhov lambasted the U.S. mother, who is understood to be a nurse and a single parent with a natural son, and called for a ban on all adoptions to America in the light of this case.
    Russian officials also refused the U.S. consul access to the child saying: 'If his American parent kicked out him from the country on a plane like a sack of potatoes, then we will look after the boy.

'Our care system will take up the case. After a full medical examination, he will be placed into one of our orphanages.'
    He questioned how American immigration had let the child leave Washington, and why United Airlines had carried him alone to Moscow. Normally, stringent checks are applied on minors travelling without parents.
    It appears the child was also alone when he flew from Tennessee to Washington before boarding the flight to Moscow.
    'The adoptive mother broke all the rules and procedures by sending an adopted child back,' he said.
    The official, who said he played with the child and talked to him, said the mother had another son called Logan.
    'Artem said he made good friends with Logan,' he said. 'He was talking quite calmly about the family, but when he started to talk about his mother he began to cry, showing how she dragged him by the hair.'
    In a shocking typed letter she gave to her seven-year-old 'son' to take with him to Moscow, she revealed how she adopted the boy - real name Artem Saveliev - in September 2009.
    She claimed he is 'mentally unstable' and that his problems were hidden from her by Russian orphanage officials before she adopted him.
    'He is violent and has severe psychopathic issues/behaviour. I was lied to and misled by the Russian orphanage workers and director regarding his mental stability,' she wrote.
    'They chose to grossly misrepresent those problems in order to get him out of their orphanage.'
    The letter - addressed 'to whom it may concern' at the Russian Ministry of Education in Moscow - said: 'After giving my best to this child I am sorry to say that for the sake of my family, friends and myself, I no longer wish to parent this child.
    'As he is a Russian national, I am returning him to your guardianship and would like the adoption disannulled.'

Experts fear the effects of the rejection will be traumatic for the boy
    Having bought a ticket and put the child on the plane, it seems Hansen found a Russian tour guide on the internet who agreed to meet the child at the airport.
    This man, called Artur, passed him to the authorities in central Moscow. Hansen agreed to pay Artur $200 for meeting the child, said officials.
    Adoption officials in Partizansk, near Vladivostok were stunned, saying that the U.S. woman had made a good impression on them when she went through adoption procedures last year.
    'She seemed a nice, kind woman. Artem immediately reached out to her. She even learned a few Russian words to communicate with her future son,' said one official.
    They deny her claims about him having severe behavioural problems and being mentally unstable.
    'Artem is normal for his age,' said the official. 'He is a little stubborn child, but this is not a problem for loving parents.
    'We are shocked by how the American family has treated our child. Artem grew up as a completely normal, relatively advanced child for his age, and healthy. Does she count being flatfooted as a disability?
    'No other medical abnormalities were found. The child was completely ready for school (Russian pupils start school at seven years of age) and had learned to read when the American mother came to the orphanage.'
    American psychotherapist Joe Soll told Russian media that the boy's rejection from his adopted family would have a serious impact.
    'When you remove a child from a family, no matter what the circumstances are, it's a trauma,' he said.
    'We don't look at children who have been adopted as tramuatised, but they are. I don't think people are educated at all to understand what adoption is really about.'
    The child's real mother Ekaterina was deprived of her parental rights because she was an alcoholic, officials said yesterday.
    She gave birth to the child at 19 and cared for him until he was six.
    He was adopted by Hansen on 18 September 2009 in Russia and eleven days later she formally changed his name to Artem Justin Hansen.
    Astakhov said the boy told him that neither he nor Logan went to school, but played at home in America. The boy spoke of a grandmother who shouted at him.
    Russian officials believe it is this grandmother who actually organised the one-way trip to Moscow for Artem.
    'Artem is a very nice kid. We drew pictures together and had nice chat,' said Astakhov.
    Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov said he was 'indignant' at the way the child was treated 'as a parcel'.
    Officials say they want action against the mother for child abuse. The Moscow media angrily denounced the 'cruelty' inflicted on the seven-year-old.
    This shocking return of an unwanted child follows several appalling cases of Russian children being killed after being adopted to America.
    In one case, a two-year-old boy died after his American father left him alone in a car in 30C temperatures.
    The cases led to a public outcry and new curbs on adoption.
    The case was highlighted on a day when U.S. President Barack Obama and Russian leader Dmitry Medvedev signed an historic nuclear arm reduction treaty in Prague

Read more: American sends back adopted Russian boy with 'behavioural problems' | Mail Online
    Jesus, that is one cold act. If she didn't want the kid couldn't she have contacted social services or done something, anything else? I can't believe how awful people are sometimes.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Silver Member

People are disgusting. Something like that happened with an Irish couple who adopted an Indonesian (I think) boy. They brought him back to the orphanage. He was only about two. As far as I remember, they've been forced to support him financially until he's 18.

This happens ALL OF THE TIME! Trust me my girlfriend is a social worker and tons of people give up there own kids because they don't want to deal with them anymore nevermind one that's already adopted. At least once a month I hear a story about how a mother tells my girl "I don't want them anymore just take them away"
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

^^ Bloody hell, that is awful. And never mind the financial aspect of this. The poor kid was taken to the other side of the world to start a new life and then rejected, this after being taken away from his own mother after six years of her being a booze hound. I just want to take that little boy and hold him tight. This breaks my heart.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Oh the poor baby! I'll take him!!!!!!

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Silver Member

I'd take him in a flash. I'd love to adopt but the waiting list here is seven years and incredibly expensive so we can't afford it.

'He is violent and has severe psychopathic issues/behaviour. I was lied to and misled by the Russian orphanage workers and director regarding his mental stability,' she wrote.
    'They chose to grossly misrepresent those problems in order to get him out of their orphanage.'
    If this is true, I don't blame her for sending him back.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I do believe that these foreign places minimize behavioral issues of the children they adopt out, as many of them are damaged via attachment disorder of maternal substance abuse during pregnancy. However, any reasonable adult person is surely aware of this possibility. How the hell do they think kids wind up in orphanges anyway? Certainly not because they come from a great home life. What she did was so cruel and will fuck him up even more than he already is/was. To lie to him like that......to betray him and break his heart! i cannot imagine this woman will be a good mother to any child, even her own, and frankly, it's people like her that are a slap in the face to all loving, dedicated adoptive families who constatly have to battle the ignorance about what it means to be a 'real' family or 'real' parent. Hell, I don't even want kids and I'm about ready to take this one myself.

Off topic: the poor grammar, wording, and punctuation in these published articles is really starting to frighten me.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    But what exactly did she expect? He was in the system and then sent half way around the world to live in a foreign country with a new language and a new culture . What he needed was time and therapy

I can't believe the way she handled this. It's just irresponsible and heartless. She could have returned him the proper way.

I know someone with two adopted Ukrainian boys, they're 10 and 11. They both have serious problems, one is very violent and is in a special school. She had to leave her job to care for them. Lack of human bonding at birth and through infancy, plus some psych issues, all made sure the kids are damaged. Not everyone could do it.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    ^^ Bloody hell, that is awful. And never mind the financial aspect of this. The poor kid was taken to the other side of the world to start a new life and then rejected, this after being taken away from his own mother after six years of her being a booze hound. I just want to take that little boy and hold him tight. This breaks my heart.
    Yes, So sad!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    You dont dump your bio kids because they have problems exactly like you dont sent back your adopted kids.
    Whatever happen to your kids, whatever they do and no matter what illness or injury they have (or get) - you deal with that.

Thats what parenthood mean.

^^Exactly. And like someone said, even if the situation wasn't spelled out completely to her she should have done her research. The fact is she met him before adopting him (I assume) and should have spent a good amount of time with him before making the decision. I am just so angered by this. It really is an insult to all adoptive parents who are loving and do a great job. What an asshole this woman is.

Also, the hair-pulling aspect is disturbing, along with the not going to school. Someone needs to check on this family and make sure this woman's other son is actually ok.

--Sinclair Lewis

If she had no idea that he would more than likely have 'issues' then she is naive at least. The way she dealt with sending him back is awful. I couldn't adopt a troubled child, but good on anyone who can and does.

Elite Member

With it now done, I can't help but thank God that he didn't have to stay in a loveless home with a new mother who obviously can't cope and could possibly have beat him senseless instead out of frustration. I'm sure he did have some issues given how he came into this world, but she handled this situation so poorly, it's incomprehensible. I can't imagine how terrified this poor child was travelling alone, not understanding what was going on.

Perhaps some good will come out of this and with attention brought to his story, he'll be put in a home with a family who will love him unconditionally.

That's the part that really pisses me off: she lied to him about what was going on, he travels alone, is met by a stranger and then finds out what's going on. Cold-blooded as hell. And I still maintain this family needs to be checked. Why would this kid mention being dragged by his hair if it didn't happen?

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information