Thread: Man gets 15 years after trying to break into jail

Default Man gets 15 years after trying to break into jail

VIERA, Fla. - A former inmate was sentenced to 15 years in prison for violating his probation by trying to break back into the Brevard County jail.

Sylvester Jiles, 25, of Cocoa, originally was sentenced to eight years of probation under a plea deal on a manslaughter charge in the 2007 shooting death of 19-year-old Dustin Prouse. On Aug. 31 of last year, three days after his release, hereturned to the jail and begged deputies to take him back in custody, saying he feared retaliation from the victim's family. Jail officials said they couldn't take him in and told him to file a police report.

Authorities said Jiles then tried to climb a 12-foot fence at the detention center. He was caught and hospitalized with severe cuts from the barbed wire. He was convicted in January of trespassing on jail property and resisting an officer

On Monday, Circuit Judge George Maxwell sentenced him to the maximum 15 years in prison for violating probation. Jiles broke into a profanity-laced tirade and was briefly led out of the courtroom.

Jiles apologized when he was returned to the courtroom.

"I just wanted to say I'm not saying I'm the shooter. I only pled guilty to it," he said, according to floridatoday.com. "I'm not going against your sentence, sir. You say 15 years. It is what it is."

Former inmate tries to break back into jail - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Well, it looks like dreams really can come true. Heartwarming.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I almost feel sad for this idiot. Perhaps he got used to the set feeding and sleep times... WTH!

Have read about people who serve sentences and do not want to be out in society as they're used to The Life. But generally those cases involved folks that had been locked up for some time...not simple probation.

Brevard County Sheriffs Office via AP
    Sylvester Jiles

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^Institutionalization is actually a huge problem with the prison population.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

A lot of people who have been incarcerated for long periods of time have difficulty adjusting to being out on their own. Charles Manson is a famous case of this. Too bad they didn't keep him locked up like he wanted,but hindsight is 20/20.

Elite Member

Funny, but really sad. I feel sorry for the guy.

he didn't go back because he was so used to life in prison...

On Aug. 31 of last year, three days after his release, he returned to the jail and begged deputies to take him back in custody, saying he feared retaliation from the victim's family.
    i don't know if this is funny or sad.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Thread Information