Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 8.8-magnitude earthquake hits central Chile

Default 8.8-magnitude earthquake hits central Chile

8.8-magnitude earthquake hits central Chile

AP In this image provided by TVN a crushed car can be seen in a parking garage in Concepcion Chile following

By EVA VERGARA, Associated Press Writer Eva Vergara, Associated Press Writer 2 mins ago
    SANTIAGO, Chile A massive 8.8-magnitude earthquake struck Chile early Saturday, killing at least 64 people, collapsing buildings and setting off a tsunami.
    A huge wave reached a populated area in the Robinson Crusoe Islands, 410 miles (660 kilometers) off the Chilean coast, said President Michele Bachelet.
    Tsunami warnings were issued over a wide area, including South America, Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand, Japan, the Philippines, Russia and many Pacific islands.
    "It has been a devastating earthquake," Interior Minister Edmundo Perez Yoma told reporters. He said at least 64 people have been killed, and "the death toll will continue rising."
    Bachelet declared a "state of catastrophe" in central Chile.
    8.8-magnitude earthquake hits central Chile - Yahoo! News
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

The Earth, she is continuously a movin'.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

That's a large quake. Hopefully there will be no further carnage from tsunamis.

Tsunami warnings have also been issued for Antarctica as well.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

That is big-it will be a miracle if we don't have massive casualties.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Will all the celebs hold yet another telethon and will Quincy Jones gather
    yet another bunch of hasbeens and wannabes for the next version of
    "We are the World"?
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Please no more celebs coming out to do their teleathons - IMO people will help out and donate without these celebs telling us what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    "We are the World"?
    No, I don't think so. For some reason it would seem that compared to Haiti, other countries don't get the same kind of attention.

But 8.8, that's huge.

Will all the celebs hold yet another telethon and will Quincy Jones gather yet another bunch of hasbeens and wannabes for the next version of "We are the World"?
    I doubt it, and this was an 8.8 earthquake, whereas the Haiti earthquake was 7.0.

We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    That is big-it will be a miracle if we don't have massive casualties.
    you know, the massive earthquake in 1960, which generated tsunamis which wiped out entire villages, 'only' killed about 1500 people. yes, that's a lot of people but for the size of the quake, it's not that much.
    the difference is that chile is much better prepared. they don't know the scale of the damage or the total death toll (right now they're at 82) but i am pretty sure it will be nothing like haiti. there will be massive material damages but nothing like haiti. the difference is chile is prepared for it. they have been living with huge quakes for centuries, and they have a much higher level of development and their construction quality is much higher.

and i doubt there will be a telethon. haiti is one of the poorest countries on earth. chile is an OCDE country. we're not talking about the same thing at all.

i'm just glad i live in an old, solid building. i was on the ground floor. it shook like mad and there was broken glass everywhere but the building is fine, and nothing nearby in the neighbourhood seems damaged either. all the light posts are still up, surprisingly. i was sure something would fall. there is a lot of damage though. i've spent the past hours trying to reach people, we're all fine so far, we're getting together at a friend's later to watch news and get more information.

Pacific under tsunami threat after massive 8.8 quake strikes Chile

February 27, 2010 -- Updated 1535 GMT (2335 HKT)

A major bridge connecting northern and southern Chile was damaged in Saturday's earthquake.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    • NEW: Hawaii plans evacuations;U.S.West Coast, Alaska under tsunami watch
    • NEW: Quake is 1,000 times stronger than the one in Haiti
    • NEW: Dozens of aftershocks, one of magnitude 6.9, shake Chile
    • 82 believed killed; death toll expected to rise
    (CNN) -- A massive magnitude 8.8 earthquake rocked Chile early Saturday, killing at least 82 people and triggering tsunami warnings for the entire Pacific basin.
    Chilean President Michelle Bachelet said she expected the death toll to rise.
    "We are taking all the necessary measures at this time," she told reporters.
    Officials did not give any information on the number of those injured. The full extent of the damage was not yet known, although there were reports of collapsed buildings and hundreds of people in the streets.
    The capital of Santiago lost electricity and basic services including water and telephones. Bachelet said regional hospitals had suffered damage; some were evacuated. A major bridge connecting northern and southern Chile was rendered inoperable, and the Santiago airport was shut down for at least the next 24 hours.
    Chilean television showed buildings in tatters in Concepcion, with whole sides torn off. At least two buildings there were engulfed in flames, and roads in the city were broken up, video showed.
    Television Nacional de Chile reported that only three stories of a 15-story building remained standing.
    Numerous aftershocks -- including one of magnitude 6.9 -- were felt within hours of the initial quake, the U.S. Geological Survey said.
    "There are really aftershocks like every hour," said Felipe Baytelman, speaking to CNN from Santiago.
    The quake's epicenter was located off the coast of Maule, about 200 miles southwest of Santiago. It struck at 3:34 a.m. (1:34 a.m. ET), when most people were sleeping.
    "This is a major event. This happened near some very populated areas," said Randy Baldwin, a geophysicist with USGS. "With an 8.8 you expect damage to the population in the area."
    The earth's rumbling was felt by millions in Chile and in parts of Argentina, as well. Some buildings in the Argentine capital, Buenos Aires, were evacuated.
    iReport.com: Did you feel it? Share information, images with CNN

Video: Tweeting during the quake

Measuring earthquakes

Bachelet declared areas of catastrophe, similar to a state of emergency, that will allow her to rush in aid. She said the town of Chillan -- which was destroyed by a killer quake in 1939 -- was one of the worst affected.
    U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon was trying to contact the Santiago-based U.N. Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean for an assessment of the earthquake and information on staffers.
    As daylight broke and more of the quake damage could be surveyed, yet another threat loomed: a tsunami.
    The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued a tsunami warning, the highest level of a tsunami alert, for the entire Pacific region, including Hawaii and places as far away as Russia and Japan.
    Follow tsunami warning information
    California and Alaska are under a tsunami advisory.
    "An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines near the epicenter within minutes and more distant coastlines within hours," the National Weather Service said in a statement.
    USGS geophysicist Victor Sardina said several tsunami waves had come ashore along the Chilean coast; the largest was recorded at 9 feet near the quake's epicenter.
    "I urge people in coastal zones to move to higher ground," Bachelet said at a morning news conference.
    The earliest estimated arrival for a wave that could affect Hawaii was 12:46 a.m. local time (6:46 p.m. ET). But evacuations of coastal areas were to begin at 6 a.m. (12 p.m. ET).
    Saturday's quake comes just a few weeks after an earthquake devastated parts of Haiti. That quake was magnitude 7.0. The Chilean quake, at magnitude 8.8, was a thousand times stronger. An earthquake displaces 64 times more energy for each additional point on the magnitude scale.
    Check out the world's biggest earthquakes since 1900
    The full extent of the damage was not yet known, although there were reports of collapsed buildings and hundreds of people in the streets. The ceiling of a parking lot in the fashionable Las Condes neighborhood of Santiago came crashing down, crushing at least 50 cars.
    CNN showed pictures from TV Nacional, a 24-hour network that broadcasts across the country. CNN Chile has suffered damage to its broadcast facilities, although it is still actively newsgathering.
    Santiago resident Leo Perioto jumped out of bed in his apartment at the top of a six-story building.
    "The whole building was shaking," he said. "The windows were wobbling a lot. We could feel the walls moving from side to side."
    Glass shattered at the Santiago Marriott Hotel, but there appeared to be no structural damage, said Alessandro Perez.
    Anita Herrera at the Hotel Kennedy in Santiago said electricity was out and guests were nervous.
    "Our hotel is built for this," she said. "In Chile this happens many times."
    The U.S. State Department said all its personnel were accounted for, and that no decision has been made about Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's planned trip next week to five Latin American countries, including Chile.
    Coastal Chile has a history of deadly earthquakes, according to the USGS. Since 1973, there have been 13 quakes of magnitude 7.0 or higher.
    Saturday's epicenter was just a few miles north of the largest earthquake recorded in the world: a magnitude 9.5 quake in May 1960 that killed 1,655 and unleashed a tsunami that crossed the Pacific and destroyed much of the Hilo Bay area of Hawaii.
    The earthquake that caused the 1960 tsunami occurred off the west coast of South America. The waves reached the Hawaiian Islands in about 15 hours. This tsunami caused little damage elsewhere in the islands, but the Hilo Bay area was hard hit. Sixty-one people lost their lives and about 540 homes and businesses were destroyed or severely damaged. The wave heights in Hilo Bay reached 35 feet compared to only 3-17 feet elsewhere.
    CNN's Rolando Santos, Brian Byrnes and Patty Lane contributed to this report.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

glad you are ok, sput. 8.8 is huge.

^^so glad you are safe & sound, sputty.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

"We are the World"?
    I am so glad I am not the only one to think this because I know it's so messed up to.

Sput-will an engineer check your bulding for structual damage? Please find out! There will be so many after shocks...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Glad you are ok Sput..and that the quake was centered 200 miles away.

They are reporting the worst damage near Concepcion and Chillan.

I do remember reading about the 39 quake in Chillan-about one third of the population of 50,000 were killed. 1,000 people were in the cinema when the quake hit-none survived. I hope it is nowhere near that bad for them this time.

They are saying about 150 people were killed in one high rise building collapse in Concepcion. The death toll from that area will be high-but nowhere near anything like Haiti.

Sput put all about that(Haiti vs Chile)very well. Even though this quake was stronger, the Haiti quake was very shallow and almost directly under Port-au-Prince-so the amount of shaking/movement was very great in Port-au-Prince, probably worse there than in most parts of Chile because of farther distance from the epicenter and greater quake depth in Chile, even though the quake was stronger overall.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information