Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Orca kills trainer at Sea World in Orlando while guests watch

Default Orca kills trainer at Sea World in Orlando while guests watch

MSNBC.com
    Orca kills SeaWorld trainer
    'Started thrashing,' witness says; 2 earlier deaths cited
    msnbc.com staff and news service reports
    updated 3:16 p.m. PT, Wed., Feb. 24, 2010

The pool area where a trainer was killed by an orca is seen Wednesday shortly after the accident at SeaWorld of Orlando.

ORLANDO - A SeaWorld trainer died Wednesday when she slipped or fell into a pool and was fatally injured by an orca, a sheriff's official said. A witness, however, said it appeared the orca had actually pulled the trainer into the pool.

The same orca, or killer whale, has been tied to two deaths in 1991 and 1999, according to the Humane Society of the United States, which has campaigned to keep marine mammals out of theme parks.

Jim Solomons of the Orlando County Sheriff's Office said the trainer slipped or fell into the orca's tank. A source later identified the victim as Dawn Brancheau, 40, who was one of the park's most experienced trainers.

WKMG-TV reported that a witness, Victoria Biniak, said she saw the incident from a viewing area where the orca is housed.

"The trainer was explaining different things about the whale ... and then the trainer that was down there walked away from the window ... and then Telly (the whale) took off really fast in the tank and he came back, shot up in the air, grabbed the trainer by the waist and started thrashing (her) around," Biniak said.

Authorities provided few immediate details, but two witnesses told the Orlando Sentinel that one of the park’s orcas grabbed the woman by the upper arm and tossed her around in its mouth while swimming rapidly around the tank.

Brazilian tourist Joao Lucio DeCosta Sobrinho and his girlfriend were at an underwater viewing area when they suddenly saw an orca with someone in its mouth.

The couple said they watched the orca show at the park two days earlier and came back to take pictures. But on Wednesday the whales appeared agitated before the incident occurred.
    "It was terrible. It’s very difficult to see the image," Sobrinho said.

The area of the theme park where the incident happened was later closed.

A former contractor with SeaWorld told the Sentinel that the 30-year-old, 12,300-pound male orca, which is also called Tillikum, is typically kept isolated from other orcas and that trainers were not allowed to get in the water with him because of his violent history.

Two earlier deaths
    In 1991, the same orca, "along with two female (killer) whales, drowned a young part-time trainer named Keltie Byrne at Sealand of the Pacific in Canada," the Humane Society stated.

The orcas "weren't trying to kill Byrne, but Tillikum and his orca companions didn't know that humans can't hold their breath as long as whales," Humane Society scientist Naomi Rose said in a report on the group's Web site.

Tillikum was later shipped to SeaWorld Orlando, the Humane Society noted, and in 1999, "a man who had apparently stayed in the park after closing hours jumped into Tillikum's tank ... He was found dead the next morning, naked and draped across the whale. The man's swim trunks were found in the water, and his body was scraped up, a sign that Tillikum had dragged him around the bottom and sides of the tank."

An autopsy ruled that the man died of hypothermia in the 50-degree water. But officials also said it appeared Tillikum bit the man and tore off his swimming trunks, likely believing he was a toy to play with.

Rose, an orca biologist, told msnbc.com that SeaWorld had since "tried to keep trainers out of the water" with Tillikum "but the hazard is always there."

Some two dozen orcas are kept in captivity in the U.S., most at SeaWorld facilities, Rose said. Worldwide the number is 47.

"In the developing world, the South Pacific and Asia, it's the hot fad," she said of keeping marine mammals in captivity.

Previous orca incidents at SeaWorld
    "There have been numerous incidents by other killer whales," Rose said. "These animals are big, they are social, they are moody, and they can hurt you."

Last December, a whale drowned a trainer at a Spanish zoo.

Several attacks on trainers have been at SeaWorld parks.

In November 2006, trainer Kenneth Peters was bitten and held underwater several times by a 7,000-pound killer whale during a show at SeaWorld's San Diego park. He escaped with a broken foot. The 17-foot-long orca who attacked him was the dominant female of SeaWorld San Diego's seven killer whales. She had attacked Peters two other times, in 1993 and 1999.

In 2004, another whale at the company's San Antonio park tried to hit one of the trainers and attempted to bite him. He also escaped.

Killer whales, or orcas, are not actually whales but the largest member of the dolphin family. The name killer whale comes from them being observed as sometimes killing whales for food.

Trainer profiled in 2006
    According to a profile of Brancheau in the Orlando Sentinel in 2006, she was one of SeaWorld Orlando’s leading trainers. It was apparently a trip to SeaWorld at 9 years old that made her want to pursue this career.

Dawn Brancheau, the trainer who died Wednesday, is seen at SeaWorld Orlando in 2005.

"I remember walking down the aisle (of Shamu Stadium) and telling my mom, 'This is what I want to do,'" she said in the article.

Brancheau worked her way into a leadership role at Shamu Stadium during her 12-year career with SeaWorld, starting at the Sea Lion & Otter Stadium before spending the past 10 years working with killer whales, the newspaper said.

She also addressed the dangers of the job.

"You can’t put yourself in the water unless you trust them and they trust you," Brancheau said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    URL: Orca kills SeaWorld trainer - Environment- msnbc.com
    MSN Privacy . Legal
    © 2010 MSNBC.com
    My family and I went to SeaWorld in San Diego this past year; the trainers are in the water during the show, and they even pulled a little girl from the audience who had to stand about 10 feet away from the edge of the pool, and the killer whale coasted onto the cement on its belly right up to her. Now it makes me wonder if that killer whale could have dragged the girl inot the water somehow if it wanted to...

Ths is just horrible. This needs to be re thought...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm sorry that people have been killed,but these are wild animals. They are not meant to live in aquariums,or to be used as a tool to entertain the spoiled,entitled masses. I really hope that Orca doesn't have to give its life for just doing what nature created it to do.

Whales are wild animals. I think people forget that and anthropomorphize them into sweet cuddly animals without killer instinct.

This whale has killed two other people and hasn't been sacrificed. I hope this wasn't his last chance. He probably shouldn't be in shows anymore though.

Free Tilly!

So tragic, so unnecessary. No matter how much you think you have wild animals trained, you really don't and never will. They don't have the logic to discern the difference between you and dinner. Just like "pet" chimps who rip off your friend's face - they don't know either.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

It's a wild animal for God's sake. So now what do they do? This whale probably can't live out in the open ocean since it has been in captivity for awhile. They better not put it down. That's ridiculous.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Tragic. It's not meant to be a toy, it's a wild, breathing animal. I hope they retire him and don't put him down. He acted like he's supposed to. It's SeaWorld who acted crazy for capturing and training wild whales like poodles.
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin69 View Post
    Tragic. It's not meant to be a toy, it's a wild, breathing animal. I hope they retire him and don't put him down. He acted like he's supposed to. It's SeaWorld who acted crazy for capturing and training wild whales like poodles.
    ITA. I'm very sorry this women died and I feel very, very sorry for the poor people who witnessed it but this is what happens when Mother Nature strikes back. I hope it makes the people who run these things have a long, hard reassessment about what they are doing.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Seaworld is our fav park and we go once a month. As much as I love Tilly and the Shamu show, I would rather see them in their own environment. its great entertainment but but not at the expence of the risk to human life
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Mivvi21 View Post
    I'm sorry that people have been killed,but these are wild animals. They are not meant to live in aquariums,or to be used as a tool to entertain the spoiled,entitled masses. I really hope that Orca doesn't have to give its life for just doing what nature created it to do.
    Word. There's a reason why they're called KILLER whales. They are something like an apex predator of the globe. Meaning, they can pretty much f**k up anything that lives in the ocean.

Nevertheless, RIP to the lady.

They are wild animals. They go from living freely in the wide open seas to being cooped up in little pools, made to perform stupid tricks for treats. Horrible. I hate Seaworld. I've live in San Diego and have never been there. It's shameful how they capture and enslave these animals. I would never give them a dime. I hope one day they are outlawed or people wake up to how gross they are and they go out of business.

I agree with everyone who said the animals shouldn't be kept there in the first place. It's sad they can't be out in the wild.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Bingo.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

RIP to the trainer who was killed, though. They don't seem to have many safety procedures since she died in front of a whole group of tourists and presumably some of the management.

There is going to be a giant lawsuit.

Elite Member

These shows have been going on a long time. A lot of these Orcas have been born in captivity and could not survive in the wild.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information