Thread: California teen girl sues Starbucks over sexual abuse

Default California teen girl sues Starbucks over sexual abuse

Seattle-based Starbucks is feeling the heat over an ex-worker's accusations of sex abuse on the job.
    And an ABC News investigation has uncovered evidence that it's part of a nationwide trend of young women being taken advantage of by older managers.
    Beyond its strong coffee and steamed milk, Starbucks presents itself as a trusted corporate citizen.
    "It's not the bricks and mortar that make Starbucks, it's the human relations of our people and the experience," says Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz.
    That family feeling is one of the reasons Katie Moore says she applied to work at Starbucks when she turned 16.
    "Starbucks had always portrayed this very good and positive image," says Moore.
    But within months, she says, her job as a barista at a Starbucks store in an Orange County, Calif., shopping center turned into something quite different.
    A lawyer asks her, "So you said you drank, smoked pot and had sex, is that correct?"
    Katie Moore answers, "Yes."
    Moore is now suing Starbucks, alleging a 24-year old supervisor essentially turned her into his sex toy, in a court case that has turned ugly as she claims Starbucks did little to protect her from him, and Starbucks claims it's her own fault.
    "You know, because I had sex prior to working at Starbucks then, you know, obviously that means that I was OK with it," she says.
    Katie Moore says the supervisor sent her hundreds of text messages, including one saying "I'd like to f--- tomorrow," summoning her for sex.
    "And I just saw it and did what I had to do," she says.
    In an interview with ABC, she was asked, "Couldn't you say no - I don't want to have this kind of relationship?"
    "I didn't feel like I could," Moore answers.

An ABC News investigation shows that what happened to Katie Moore as a high school student is not all that uncommon in the workplace.
    "You've got teenagers and their hormones are all amok," says one expert, Susan Straus. "They're still new to the world of work. This is all new to them."
    ABC News found other cases across the country, including at a McDonald's restaurant in Sacramento, Calif., involving a 16-year-old in her first job and a 23-year supervisor who the company fired a few days after her mother complained about what he had done.
    "He grabbed my waist and pulled me back," says the employee, Kasey Ramirez. "I thought his plan was to rape me."
    In another case, at a Taco Bell restaurant in Memphis, Tenn., a manager pleaded guilty to raping two of his 16-year old high school workers. One of them became pregnant.
    In the case of Katie Moore at Starbucks, the supervisor, Tim Horton, pleaded guilty to having sex with a minor and spent four months in prison.
    But Katie Moore's mother says Starbucks and places with high school employees need to do more.
    "You know, they have a responsibility to these teenagers," says Joanna Moore.
    In an interview with ABC News, she was asked: "Is it fair, though, to expect Starbucks to take on that role?"
    Joanna Moore's response: "You know, if they can't do that, then they shouldn't hire teenage workers."

California teen girl sues Starbucks over sexual abuse

only canadians will get this, but i think it's hilarious that there's a starbucks manager named tim horton.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Wait, this guy spent 4 months in prison for having sex with a minor, and is put in a situation and environment where he could do that again?

Sue, sue, sue the sick bastard and starbucks!

I saw that report on 20/20; Starbucks' lawyer basically placed the blame on her, revealing her sexual history and questioning what moral values her parents had taught her:

Teen Starbucks Barista Sues Over 'Sex Demands' at Work - ABC News

Video:Watch '20/20' Friday Nights at 10 p.m. - ABC News

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    I saw that report on 20/20; Starbucks' lawyer basically placed the blame on her, revealing her sexual history and questioning what moral values her parents had taught her:

No surprise, dirt bag lawyers always try to blame rape or sexual abuse/harrasment on the victim (her clothing, her past history, etc. etc.).

No one could have forced me to have sex with anyone, not even at that age. Unless they'd force me physically. Why didn't she just quit?

She didn't feel like she could say no? WTF? Who raises these girls? The mother is quick to point the finger at Starbucks, but she's the one who failed to teach her daughter to say no.

Not saying that it was okay what he did. At all. He's a prick and Starbucks is responsible for hiring a sexual predator. But I don't get her behavior either. It's not like her life depends on a job at Starbucks.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post

Yep, and we need to avalanche them with critical emails over it. I wanted to smack that HR bitch making those statements about how the girl's mom obviously didn't teach her any values. Look, we all do shit as teens that go against what our parents taught us. I thought, just you wait lady....you have no idea what your own kids are really doing. I hate sanctimonious parents like that.

Regardless, is is illegal to have sex with a 16 yr old and he knew it. Starbucks knew his history, so if anyone wants to blame somebody, blame them for putting themselves in jeopardy by hiring such a person. I wonder if the company feels like they were 'asking for it' by hiring someone with a sexual abuse conviction? Doubt it.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    No one could have forced me to have sex with anyone, not even at that age. Unless they'd force me physically. Why didn't she just quit?

She didn't feel like she could say no? WTF? Who raises these girls? The mother is quick to point the finger at Starbucks, but she's the one who failed to teach her daughter to say no.

Not saying that it was okay what he did. At all. He's a prick and Starbucks is responsible for hiring a sexual predator. But I don't get her behavior either. It's not like her life depends on a job at Starbucks.
    yeah i don't get that either. maybe there's information missing from the article but i'm just not clear on that part because really, she's 16, and it's a job at starbucks for christ's sake, it's not like he was pressuring her and threatening to put an end to her brilliant career if she didn't put out.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    only canadians will get this, but i think it's hilarious that there's a starbucks manager named tim horton.
    Ironic. And funny.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    First thing I noticed!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Thread Information