Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man charged with murder of 'burglar'

Default Man charged with murder of 'burglar'

Tyler Juett, 17, died in hospital from stab wounds

A man who allegedly stabbed two teenagers after he disturbed them burgling his mother's home was today charged with murder and wounding with intent.

Omari Roberts is accused of knifing Tyler Juett, 17, and his 14-year-old friend after they broke into the house in Nottingham. Juett later died.
    Today Roberts, 23, was charged with murder and wounding with intent after the Crown Prosecution Service said his actions were "not reasonable" and that he should face prosecution.
    Juett was found by paramedics at an address in Heathfield Road, Old Basford, at around 2pm on 13 March and was taken to the Queen's Medical Centre, Nottinghamshire Police said. He died shortly afterwards.
    A post-mortem examination concluded his death was caused by a stab wound.
    Roberts, of Heathfield Road, Old Basford, was appearing at Nottingham Magistrates' Court later today.
    Juett's 14-year-old friend pleaded guilty to burglary at Nottingham Youth Court on 14 May and was sentenced to two years' detention.

Man charged with murder of 'burglar' - Crime, UK - The Independent

Bullshit. If you break into someone's house you better be prepared for whatever the homeowner is going to dish out if you are caught. Be it a good old fashioned ass whipping or worse. It seems that criminals have more rights than the victims these days. It's totally unfair.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

If someone breaks into my house I will do what I have to in order to protect myself. I'm not going to wait about and see if its my tv or my arse they want, I'm going to damn well defend myself.

I'd like to know more about this. I.e. Why the judge doesn't think it was reasonable force. *edit* this link said he chased one of them down the road. But it still doesn't give many details. Man who 'stabbed to death burglar he found ransacking mother's house' is charged with murder | Mail Online
    Last edited by Sarzy; October 28th, 2009 at 02:56 AM.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

^^Well, it's the UK. That answers all of my questions right there.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I'd like to know more about this. I.e. Why the judge doesn't think it was reasonable force. *edit* this link said he chased one of them down the road. But it still doesn't give many details. Man who 'stabbed to death burglar he found ransacking mother's house' is charged with murder | Mail Online
    The one who got his butt out of the house is the one who lived. The one who was stabbed to death was still in the house after Roberts came back. If he was still in the house, after Roberts came back, that's pretty brazen.

Little punks. Got what they deserved.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Silver Member

My father always told me that if I catch someone breaking into the house and force is required--to make sure that I kill them, (so there is no other side of the story) and drag them onto the bed, so I can claim that the burglar tried to rape me.

heh, people do think that way, and I recall once hearing of a man sent to prison because a guy broke into his house and threatened to rape his son, while yelling racial comments. I hate those laws.

I doubt if any jury will find him guilty. It's ridiculous he has to go through this when two burglars broke into his home.

The guy did the right thing. If you break into someone's home you deserve to get stabbed/shot/beaten. The homeowner has no idea what your intentions are, so they have the every right to assume that their lives are at risk.

Sometimes I feel criminals have more rights than victims. The little bastard should not have broken in. Like people told us growing up,"You break into a house, you're playing let's make a deal with the reaper. You don't know what the hell is behind door number 1."

In this state, if the fatal injury is dealt to a burglar within the home, even if he manages to get away and die later, criminal charges are not filed, but a wrongful death suit can be filed and juries have awarded to the estate of the criminal before. Homeowners insurance can also be sued.

Yeah if you break into someone's house, that's the relaity of what could happen kids. Still wanna be cool and berak into people's houses?
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

it's ridiculous - if someone breaks into your house, what more of a threat to your personal safety is there?! There's too many 'rights' for people committing criminal acts...

Back in the day when I was at uni, I was sharing a house with two other girls, and the girl who had the bedroom at the front of the house walked into her room one night to find someone halfway through her window trying to break in.
    The other girl and I heard a bit of a commotion and ran out the front to find her chasing the guy up the street with a BROOM, shouting (I kid you not) "Please don't EVER do that again ... EVER!!!!"

We told her that if ever there was a time you were allowed to be abusive and swear at a stranger, this was one of them! I still can't believe she was polite enough to use 'please'!! Although it was scary at the time, we still laugh about it to this day...
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

Elite Member

Forget the knife, I would have shot them. Cased closed.

Burglar murder charge dropped at last minute

Prosecutors drop murder charge against Omari Roberts who stabbed youth burgling his mother's Nottingham home Omari Roberts, 23, who stabbed a teenage burglar to death, has had charges against him dropped. Photograph: Andrew Matthews/PA

The decision to prosecute a young builder for murder for fatally stabbing a teenage burglar who ransacked his mother's home was erroneous, a court heard today.
    Omari Roberts, 23, was formally found not guilty at Nottingham crown court of the murder of 17-year-old Tyler Juett, whom he found burgling his mother's home in Basford, Nottinghamshire, in March 2009, with a 14-year-old accomplice. Juett died of stab wounds.
    Roberts, who denied the murder charge, was also charged with attacking Juett's 14-year-old accomplice, who cannot be named for legal reasons. In October the Crown Prosecution Service's lawyers said Roberts had used "excessive and gratuitous force" and he was remanded in custody. But new evidence came to light last month that showed this to be erroneous.
    The other burglar, who is now 15, suffered two stab wounds to his right knee during an initial confrontation with Roberts in the kitchen of his mother's semi-detached home.
    He claimed he then fled the house with Roberts in pursuit. Prosecutors said this gave them a realistic chance of a success as it meant Roberts would have had time to call police.
    But when he was re-interviewed by the police last month, the boy admitted he waited for Juett outside the house.

This supported the assertion by Roberts that his struggle with Juett immediately followed a fight with the accomplice, Gregory Dickinson QC, prosecuting, said.
    The teenage accomplice also told a social worker after the burglary that he did have a knife, despite originally telling the police he was unarmed.
    He bragged: "I wasn't bothered about killing him [Roberts]. If I had the chance I would have killed him."
    Jerome Lynch QC, defending, said Juett's accomplice had an Asbo banning him from Basford as well as a string of convictions for violent offences.
    He said: "The basis on which this case is being dropped at the 11th hour is a matter of public interest. It's clear that the prosecution's case has always been predicated on the reliability of this [boy]. In our submission that was never a realistic approach.
    "They relied on what he was saying, the veracity of what he was saying, and in our submission that was a flawed and erroneous approach."
    The Crown Prosecution Service decided to drop the charges against Omari Roberts shortly before the case against him was due to open at the crown court today.

Roberts's mother, Jacqueline McKenzie-Johnson, had called the decision to prosecute "outrageous".
    Speaking outside the court, she said: "He looks a little bit more relieved now. It's still a very difficult time. The charges have been dropped and now it's time for us to look at how we're feeling because we've been fighting this for so long."
    An internet campaign for her son had been set up.
    Roberts's lawyer, Jonathan Eppley, said after the case that Roberts was put in a position in which he was fighting for his life.
    "He had no option but to defend himself. Everything happened in a split second. He'd just returned to his mum's house for a little bit to eat and found himself in a terrible position," he said.
    The CPS said the decision to drop the charges was made after it received "significant new information" about the case.
    It said: "After receiving significant new information last month, the case was reviewed and it was decided there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction.
    "This information was not available at the time the original decision to prosecute was made."
    Lynch said the director of public prosecutions (DPP), Keir Starmer, should have been involved in the decision over whether to bring the case to court.
    He said: "In cases of this kind, the DPP should be involved because then we would have someone to point the finger at."
    Outside court, he added: "Personally, I think he [the DPP] should apologise to this family. It's tragic."
    At the time of the murder Chris Juett, Tyler's uncle, said that he wished his nephew had chosen a different path. "The boy was such a talented footballer. God bless him."

Burglar murder charge dropped at last minute | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information