Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

Default Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer Mary Foster, Associated Press Writer – 38 mins ago

NEW ORLEANS – A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way,"
    Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.
    Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

If he did an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

Bardwell estimates that he has refused to marry about four couples during his career, all in the past 2 1/2 years.

Beth Humphrey, 30, and 32-year-old Terence McKay, both of Hammond, say they will consult the U.S. Justice Department about filing a discrimination complaint.
    Humphrey, an account manager for a marketing firm, said she and McKay, a welder, just returned to Louisiana. She plans to enroll in the University of New Orleans to pursue a masters degree in minority politics.

"That was one thing that made this so unbelievable," she said. "It's not something you expect in this day and age."

Humphrey said she called Bardwell on Oct. 6 to inquire about getting a marriage license signed. She says Bardwell's wife told her that Bardwell will not sign marriage licenses for interracial couples. Bardwell suggested the couple go to another justice of the peace in the parish who agreed to marry them.

"We are looking forward to having children," Humphrey said. "And all our friends and co-workers have been very supportive. Except for this, we're typical happy newlyweds."

"It is really astonishing and disappointing to see this come up in 2009," said American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana attorney Katie Schwartzmann. "The Supreme Court ruled as far back as 1963 that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."

The ACLU sent a letter to the Louisiana Judiciary Committee, which oversees the state justices of the peace, asking them to investigate Bardwell and recommending "the most severe sanctions available, because such blatant bigotry poses a substantial threat of serious harm to the administration of justice."

"He knew he was breaking the law, but continued to do it," Schwartzmann said.

According to the clerk of court's office, application for a marriage license must be made three days before the ceremony because there is a 72-hour waiting period. The applicants are asked if they have previously been married. If so, they must show how the marriage ended, such as divorce.

Other than that, all they need is a birth certificate and Social Security card.

The license fee is $35, and the license must be signed by a Louisiana minister, justice of the peace or judge. The original is returned to the clerk's office.

"I've been a justice of the peace for 34 years and I don't think I've mistreated anybody," Bardwell said. "I've made some mistakes, but you have too. I didn't tell this couple they couldn't get married. I just told them I wouldn't do it."

Interracial couple denied marriage license in La. - Yahoo! News
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I'm sure the Justice Department won't get involved. I hear they have a lot on their plate right now.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Fucking ridiculous... This man and his views are quite antiquated. Judge(but hopefully not for too much longer) interracial kids are accepted just fine!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Someday one might even become president!
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Why were they denied? Was one of them gay?

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

No, but their children might have been!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I love how white racists claim to not be racist because they have black friends or because they married a black person or they have black people in their family, etc..... whatever. In reality those friends and family members are the exception to the group and they are still racist bigots. Just fucking admit it, you are a racist, at least be proud to be one and not bullshit us.

NEW ORLEANS – A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have. Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.
    Oh, fuck off! It's none of his business to decide whether or not to marry an interracial couple because to him those marriages may not last.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way,"
    Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."
    So, does he want a fucking cookie? Why is it when someone says he/she isn't a racist, he/she says, "Oh, one of my good friends is Black" or some stupid shit like that.

edit: I pretty much echo DD's sentiments.
    Rock the fuck on!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    No, but their children might have been!

Good point. We must demand a manditory abortion for all interracial fetuses immediately. Unless the kid looks at least 70% white, and not too nelly.

But but...he lets black people use his fucking bathroom!

Bigoted old fart.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

"They use my bathroom." Well, that says a lot, doesn't it. I allow black people to pee in my personal bathroom! What an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    But but...he lets black people use his fucking bathroom!

Bigoted old fart.
    I didn't know black people went to the bathroom.

probably doesn't have enough money or room in his trailer to make a "white's only" assthrone

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    probably doesn't have enough money or room in his trailer to make a "white's only" assthrone
    I was thinking that too!!!!

We should just pray for him. Dear God, please have someone tie this bastard to the back of his or her bumper. Tonight.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information