Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Georgia high school tells cross-dressing student to dress 'manly' or leave

Default Georgia high school tells cross-dressing student to dress 'manly' or leave

Screen grab from WSBTV
    16-year-old transfer student Jonathan Escobar began attending North Cobb High School wearing wigs, make-up, skinny jeans, vintage tops and women’s flats.

Should students be able to cross-dress at school if they want to?
    That’s the question for a public school in Kennesaw, Ga., which is demanding one of its male students dress in a more “manly” fashion for class.
    As the Atlanta Constitution reports, 16-year-old transfer student Jonathan Escobar began attending North Cobb High School wearing wigs, make-up, skinny jeans, vintage tops and women’s flats.
    Packs of kids gathered around him in the cafeteria, and the school's assistant principal even blamed a fight on Escobar's theatrical attire.
    On his third day at the school, Escobar showed up wearing a pink wig. He was approached by a school official who told him he could either stop dressing in this typically feminine manner or consider home-schooling.
    Citing a school dress code that prohibits students from wearing clothing that may "contribute to a disruption of school functions," the school stands by its decision to confront Escobar on his outfits.
    But a student group on Facebook called "Support Jonathan" has over 1,000 members protesting the decision. Organizers have printed bright pink T-shirts emblazoned with that slogan, which many students plan to wear to school to show their displeasure, the Atlanta paper reports.
    Escobar sees the school's edict as an infringement on his creative expression. "If I can't express myself, I won't go to school," he told the paper. "I want to get the message out there that because this is who I am, I can't get an education."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2009/10/08/2009-10-08_georgia_high_school_tells_crossdressing_student _jonathan_escobar_to_dress_like_a.html#ixzz0Tg5cI1 MP

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    "If I can't express myself, I won't go to school," he told the paper. "I want to get the message out there that because this is who I am, I can't get an education."
    while i can understand this point of view, talking like a two year old isnt going to help his cause.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Wall o'text should be outlawed. Paragraphs are everyone's friend.

All schools have some form of dress code. Wearing a bright pink wig is not going to help. He can't go into school expecting to wear whatever he wants as the other school students can't wear whatever they want either.

A better approach would have been to let his school counsellor know that he identifies himself as a female, and to have the school's support in dressing as a female. Then he could have worn female attire without all of the problems.

Although he needs to be given support in his decision to make the transition from male to female, he also needs to do his part by not demanding that he can dress however he wants or else there will be protests and difficulty for the school.
    wait, did i miss something? who broke your wang?
    Keneesha when she banged it up a mango tree until I fainted.

He's very pretty. Prettier than half the skanks that passed as females at my high school!

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

Indeed. While the school should respect his gender identification, school clothes on females and males alike shouldn't be distracting to the degree described. You want to dress like a girl? Fine. You want to dress like a looney toon? Inappropriate.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Unless he plans on becoming a drag queen,he has to go with the rules for a short time. He isn't going to hurt anyone but himself.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Lady Caca
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I know it's Georgia, but why wouldn't the school take the opportunity to educate students on tolerance and acceptance rather than contributing to the problem?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Pink wig? This is high school, not a Britney impersonation contest.

I wonder if his school has the gender clause in the dress code? If it does, he is SOL.

Thread Information