Thread: Comic tells one too many mother-in-law jokes, gets sued by MIL

Default Comic tells one too many mother-in-law jokes, gets sued by MIL

Comedian Sunda Croonquest (left) is being sued by mother-in-law Ruth Zafrin, citing she's tired of being the butt of Croonquest's jokes. Husband Mark Zafrin is caught in the middle. In a far-from funny scenario, his law firm is representing Sunda against his mom

Sunda Croonquist - who is half-black and half Swedish and married into a Jewish family - has been ordered to appear in court over allegations she spread 'false, defamatory and racist' lies in jokes made about her mother-in-law, Ruth Zafrin.
    In the lawsuit, filed in the state of New Jersey, Zafrin is asking for unspecified damages from her daughter-in-law, as well as a court ruling that would ban Croonquist from making her the subject of jokes in her on-stage routines.
    One of the many jokes in question involve the initial meeting Croonquist had with Zafrin, and how her new relative reportedly made assumptions about her based on her background.

In one bit, Croonquist jokes, "I am a black woman with the Jewish mother-in-law. The only thing we have in common is that we don't want to get our hair wet..."
    Another joke refers to the time Zafrin found out Croonquist was pregnant: "Now we don't want a name that's difficult to pronounce like Shaniqua. We're thinking a name short but delicious. Like Hadassah or Goldie."
    Zafrin filed the lawsuit after Croonquist reportedly posted information on her website to promote upcoming shows in New Jersey that contained information that could have put her in-laws identities in jeopardy.
    Croonquist, who appears regularly on Comedy Central, has refused to pay any damages to her mother-in-law but did agree to drop the jokes from her routine. Her husband has agreed to stand behind her decision.
    Her lawyers have filed a motion in court to have the lawsuit dismissed. It is scheduled to be heard by a judge early next month.

Jokes Prompt Mother-In-Law Ruth Zafrin To Sue Comedian Sunda Croonquist - WPIX

Her MIL is an old crab.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Sounds like the MIL is just using this as an excuse to go after the daughter-in-law she never liked.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^That's what I was thinking. Unless she's never seen standup in her life she'd know that all the people in the life of the comedian come in for some ridicule/being the butt of a joke, even if it's good-natured. Lighten up, grandma.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    ^^That's what I was thinking. Unless she's never seen standup in her life she'd know that all the people in the life of the comedian come in for some ridicule/being the butt of a joke, even if it's good-natured. Lighten up, grandma.
    Look at her face! Nothing amuses that woman.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Maybe it's a publicity stunt that they're all in on because I've never heard of this broad until now.

Old fart should be flattered. After all, Mike Myers' MIL was the inspiration behind one of the best SNL characters ever. But unlike this old biddy, she seemed to have a sense of humor about it. And actually ended up getting to meet her idol, Barbara Streisand.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Thread Information