Login to remove the ads!

Thread: US smoker's daughter gets $13.8m

Default US smoker's daughter gets $13.8m

A U.S. jury has ordered cigarette maker Philip Morris to pay $13.8million (8.4m) to the daughter of a long term smoker who died of lung cancer.
    The jury in Los Angeles voted in favour of Jodie Bullock, the daughter of Betty Bullock who died of lung cancer in 2003 aged 64.
    She had smoked for 47 years starting on Marlboros when she was just 17 before turning to Benson & Hedges - both Philip Morris products.
    Lawyers for Philip Morris argued Betty Bullock could have stopped smoking at anytime and the harmful effects of cigarettes were then known to smokers.
    Ms Bullock sued Philip Morris in 2001, accusing the company of fraud and product liability.
    In 2002 a jury recommended the tobacco company pay a record $28billion in punitive damages to Bullock, but a judge later reduced the award to $28million.
    In 2008, the U.S Court of Appeal reversed the jury's decision and sent the case for a new trial with Philip Morris claiming the $28million was excessive.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1208851/Daughter-lung-cancer-victim-wins-13-8m-U-S-tobacco-company-Philip-Morris.html#ixzz0PLFEUAJB

I'm against smoking and 2nd hand smoke.

But nobody forced her to smoke and she knew the possible health hazards. It was her responsibility.

i'm going to sue. My mom started smoking at 11 in 1933 and died of lung cancer in 1984. I demand money. and lots of it.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Wall o'text should be outlawed. Paragraphs are everyone's friend.

My dad has been smoking for 42 years, but is in decent health (knock on wood). Can I get a pre-death payout?

This shit just makes my blood boil. There are thousands upon thousands of people just like this woman whose loved ones smoked and died from cancer. Why does she get this money? How about making them donate it to cancer research.

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i'm going to sue. My mom started smoking at 11 in 1933 and died of lung cancer in 1984. I demand money. and lots of it.
    Mine smoked for 30 years and recently passed due to lung cancer, and I want my share too. What the fuck, how is that even right?
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

My granddad was both an alcoholic and a smoker, and they're not sure if it was the esophogeal cancer or the cirrohsis that eventually did him in. Should I sue Smirnoff first, or the tobacco company? Decisions, decisions.
    Once again, I feel good in my decision to give up all hope for the human race. - KrisNine

Would you ever use a pussy & floor wipe to clean a baby's ass? - Michael K

Quote Originally Posted by Jexxifer View Post
    My dad has been smoking for 42 years, but is in decent health (knock on wood). Can I get a pre-death payout?
    Me too! My Dad has smoked and drank heavily for 45+ years and he's still kicking it strong...
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

I don't smoke, but i've inhaled smoke from other people because i couldn't get away from it.

I'm going to sue EVERYBODY
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

And its sue the world FTW!
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Thread Information