Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman stuck in car on opening drawbridge

Default Woman stuck in car on opening drawbridge

A woman driver had a hair-raising – not to mention car-raising - experience today when her vehicle got stuck on an opening drawbridge.
    She stalled on the bridge at Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, and was still stationary as the giant structure swung open to allow a ship through.
    Thanks to a good set of brakes and decent tyres, her vehicle defied gravity and stayed put as the giant hinges yawned to a 45 degree angle.

Scare: The woman's car is raised to a 45 degree angle as she attempted to cross

As the Maple-Oregon Bridge swung shut again, the uninjured woman restarted her engine and continued her journey safely across the water.
    The incident happened about 6pm last Thursday.
    But police didn’t learn about it until after local newspaper reporters began calling to confirm the authenticity of the photos they received.
    Captain Arleigh Porter, of Sturgeon Bay Police Department, said: ‘At first we thought someone was just playing around with Photoshop. It really is amazing.’
    She described the photo as being like scene one might be better expected to witness at a theme park.

Down and up: The Maple-Oregon Bridge (above and below) on a normal day

‘This car was rising, similar to a ride at Great America,’ – a massive park in California, she said.

‘Apparently the bridge tender noticed, lowered the bridge and after a short conversation she goes on her way.’
    ‘It appears to be human error,’ said Captain Porter, adding that she hoped the motorist will contact police.
    ‘She’s not in any trouble,’ she said. ‘We just want to talk to her and find out how this happened so we can make sure that it doesn’t happen again.
    ‘I want to ask her what was going through her mind and how hard she had that brake pushed down.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1207394/No-head-heights-Woman-driver-stalls-car-opening-drawbridge.html#ixzz0OaZwDsZ8

A fear of mine since we have so many drawbridges going to the beaches. I would FREAK!
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

She should have shoved it into "reverse" and blasted backwards! Just like at Cedar Point!

Oh.... sorry, wrong thread.

A*O

Wouldn't you think someone in that tollbooth/guardhouse thingy would notice a car on the bridge as it went up? I'm guessing the ship was bearing down fast on the bridge so to avoid a collision the bridge operator was forced to raise it without giving the car a chance to move.
    How can you trust anything that bleeds for 3 days every month but doesn't die?

I would have had a heart attack...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I would have gotten out of my car & ran like the wind when that bridge started to move!

WTF?

I would lose my fucking mind, and yet be sooo completely embarrassed at my stupidity, not sure which would be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Wouldn't you think someone in that tollbooth/guardhouse thingy would notice a car on the bridge
    You would think so wouldn't you? In fact, you would think it would be normal procedure to check the bridge for a car (or daredevil on foot) before "pressing the button".

That would have been SO scary! That car DOES have good brakes & tyres!
    beauty is only skin deep (where's the scalpel?)

After I shit my pants I would have had a heart attack, no joke.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Something just doesn't seem right. It's not like drawbridges rise up immediately. If she had stalled I would still think she had enough time to get her car started again before it raised up too much... Or you know the bridge operator would have seen her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

It looks like she would've at least gotten out of her car when she realized what was happening. Who the hell would've stayed in and just hoped their brakes held?!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Wouldn't you think someone in that tollbooth/guardhouse thingy would notice a car on the bridge as it went up? I'm guessing the ship was bearing down fast on the bridge so to avoid a collision the bridge operator was forced to raise it without giving the car a chance to move.
    This is what I was thinking.

I used to have nightmares about this happening to me when I lived in Adelaide.
    Lisa

A*O

Or she could have put the car in neutral and as the bridge slowly rose the car would have rolled down the slope to safety. I assume the brakes were still working so she could have controlled it and those bridges rise up pretty slowly anyway so it shouldn't have been too difficult. Easy to say when you're not in that situation though - people tend to freeze.
    How can you trust anything that bleeds for 3 days every month but doesn't die?

this is totally funny to me.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post
    this is totally funny to me.

the stupidity of it does have a humorous ring to it.

you would think the workers of the drawbridge would be required to have security cameras of the bridge before opening it to assure no cars were on it.

if it were me it that car, i too would either have a heart attack or have the sense to slowly backup. i know i would be praying up a storm if the heart attack didn't kill me first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information